Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac to air compressor conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ac to air compressor conversion

I converted my ac unit to an air compressor and it worx awesome! Not sure on the best way to keep the compressor lubed. Sum have put a grease zerk on the housing and just grease it. Others have put inline oilers on. Not sure the best route. Anybody got sum input on this? Thanx!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have read a few posts on this topic.

Seems to me that the best option is an automatic luber for the compressor, that will allow drops of oil every know and then.

As the compressed air will have oil in it, the best will be to use an air/oil separator, in order to remove that unwanted oil and be able to use clean air to inflate your tires, running tools or for air lockers.

I have not installed any of these myself, just gone for a wide variety of post and those are my thoughts on the route I will follow!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

My brother did this on his TJ. He runs an oiler before the compressor and an oil/water separator after the compressor. It has worked very well for a few years that way. I think he even plummed the oiler and separator together somehow so the oil gets pulled out of the separator and through the oiler and recycled.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

I'll be doing this in the next couple months. Subscribed for more info.

A guy I wheel with has TJ he did this to and he just fills the thing with oil before firing it up each set of tires. Obviously it also fills the tires with oil, so a separator would be a good idea.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM

Year: 88-ish
Engine: 4.0 I6

I run an Oiler on the intake side with ATF in it that I just keep an eye on to make sure its full and then run two air/oil separators on the output side to make sure everything stays mostly clean. I have run the compressor with no oil at all quite a few times which I know isn't the best option but I have a couple extra compressors in case mine dies on me. So far it hasn't started making any funny noises and still fills my 6 gallon tank up to 150 psi.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 242CID I-6

subscribed!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM

A buddy of mine runs his stock compressor on his YJ and I can fill my 35 from 6psi to 32 in probably about 90 seconds. I'm sure if he bumped up to a higher idle it would be a bit quicker.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:46 PM

I just came across this thread and plan on doing something very similar to post #33

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...x%27ers&page=3

Plus us 97+ can do the high idle switch to easily get a bump in flow.

Last edited by Slimgoaty; 04-08-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: Inline Six

Im planning on doing this soon! anyone have pics of their set up?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:48 PM

Year: 88-ish
Engine: 4.0 I6

Not great pictures and these are old so it has changed a bit since this but here are a couple.

Intake line is over by the battery with the oiler. The white wires on run to the pressure switch that will turn off the compressor when the system reaches 150psi. Once the air gets down to 120 psi(or somewhere around there) it will kick the compressor back on and fill it back up. I have a toggle inside so I can turn it all the way off when I don't need air.

6 gallon tank in the rear. Great for air tools or tires. Plus it gives me plenty of extra pressure for my air horn as well.

I anyone wants better pictures Im sure I can get some stuff together for them tonight.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:48 PM

I will try to get pics of my setup soon. These compressors are pretty badass! I have a 2 gallon tank in the back and at an idle i can fill the whole system to 100 psi in 1 min 13 seconds. Bump up the throttle and it will fill sum **** in a hurry! I think i gunna install the oiler, i already have the filter/trap on the output side! Plus i wired the compressor using the fog lamp switch inside the jeep so i can charge and use the system without having to open the hood at all!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by blankdeluxe
Not great pictures and these are old so it has changed a bit since this but here are a couple.

Intake line is over by the battery with the oiler. The white wires on run to the pressure switch that will turn off the compressor when the system reaches 150psi. Once the air gets down to 120 psi(or somewhere around there) it will kick the compressor back on and fill it back up. I have a toggle inside so I can turn it all the way off when I don't need air.

6 gallon tank in the rear. Great for air tools or tires. Plus it gives me plenty of extra pressure for my air horn as well.

I anyone wants better pictures Im sure I can get some stuff together for them tonight.
I would love to see more pics of your set up! Also, what are all the relays for??
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O

I did mine alot like JP magazine did theirs with a greased system. Just search it under the tech section.
It was a bit more work to get up and running than an oiled system. If your gonna go greased like i did...dont cheap out on grease. I used Amsoil offroad grease because of its high temp rating. Also as a not for greases I love sharing this link with everyone
it really shows the differences in cheap grease versus quality. Altho I am biased because I sell Amsoil That aside, tearing down the compressor was easy, getting the 6 or 7 pistons to line up going back together...took me and hour of fiddling. I just packed mine with grease cylinders and all. Tapped the oil fill cap for a zirk and every couple hours of run time i pump a good 5-7 pumps of grease in it. All said and done with fittings, grease and a "new" pump the whole thing ran me about 50$ My personal opinion is to go grease just because I find it easier to grease a zirk than carry seperate oil just for my compressor.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 AM

Wut about gettin grease into the whole air system? And wont it plug my filter/trap right away?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O

Originally Posted by diyxj
Wut about gettin grease into the whole air system? And wont it plug my filter/trap right away?
I havnt had any grease escape the compressor, I run a breather filter on the intake...im not sure why grease would ever go out that direction, and i by trap you mean an oil trap...if your greased you wouldnt be running one. I run my AC pump directly from the output to a 1' hose to a manifold with my airtank plumped, safety release vavle and extra chuck.