Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abou to start my re-gear project.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.8L Stroker
Default Abou to start my re-gear project.

I have my whole front end torn apart because I am in the middle of installing my lift. I realized that with a couple more bolts I can remove the whole front axle and diff assembly. I then thought I should just do my re-gear since its all apart. I was curious if there is any advantage to having it out from under he vehicle to install new gears beside the obvious not having to work under the vehicle. It's my first attempt at this so I am sure I will have many questions. I figure that I have to learn at some point. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

yeah it's easier having it out and on some jack stands so you have room to work. re gearing is not a beginners or a first timer 'learn as you go' kind of project... it also requires a couple expensive specialty tools.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/
Old 08-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Member

I have someone who has the tools and is willing to let me use them. And I figure that everyone has to do it for the first time at some point. If I can build engines, I should be able to do this.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

it's tough. I watched the whole process. at least get someone to supervise and walk you through it the first time. it's really important to get them perfect
Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by SpruceJedi
I have someone who has the tools and is willing to let me use them. And I figure that everyone has to do it for the first time at some point. If I can build engines, I should be able to do this.
Your friend has a case spreader, dial gauge, mic, bearing press, inch/lbs torque wrench, hydro press, race installer ?

Try to have someone who has done a few gear jobs watch over you.

Messing up contact patch, backlash, or preload can shorten bearing life and cause stress points on the ring an pinion that can lead to cracks and damage at the worst possible moments.

I'm all for someone learning, but having some experience watching over you is not a bad idea
Old 08-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Yeah. He is a mechanic for Toyota. He has some experience with this. You guys make it sound like rocket surgery. Is it that bad?
Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by SpruceJedi
Yeah. He is a mechanic for Toyota. He has some experience with this. You guys make it sound like rocket surgery. Is it that bad?
depends on how long you want your gears to last....
Old 08-10-2012, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

It's not impossible. There's just a very specific way of doing it and we're advising that you have an experienced hand help you for the first time so you can avoid costly mistakes.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by N20jeep
Your friend has a case spreader, dial gauge, mic, bearing press, inch/lbs torque wrench, hydro press, race installer ?

Try to have someone who has done a few gear jobs watch over you.

Messing up contact patch, backlash, or preload can shorten bearing life and cause stress points on the ring an pinion that can lead to cracks and damage at the worst possible moments.

I'm all for someone learning, but having some experience watching over you is not a bad idea
You don't need all that. Magnetic Base Dial Indicator 30 bucks ebay. digital caliper 10 bucks ebay. And my CDI inlb torque wrench 25 bucks on ebay.

My buddy had a press to get the bearings off. I dremeled out my old bearings to use for set-up. Then I froze the spindle and carrier and baked my new bearings for instal. I did not use a case spreader. The carrier will come out with a good prybar and hammer.

Get ya a brass punch for instaling the races.

Job isn't that dificult it is just super tedious. And a lot of repetitive work to get it all right. Use all your old shims in the same spots first and formost and you may get lucky and everything line back up right. That is how my dana 30 was. Now the 44 on the other hand I have had to make a lot of adjustments and I am still making them.