Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Cherokee XJ slow to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 Cherokee XJ slow to start

I purchased a 1999 cherokee XJ, the previous owner installed a supercharger on it from a ford super coupe and hacked everything to hell, and me not liking to pick up others projects, i put it all back to stock.

This was happening when the supercharger was on it, but maybe you guys have some input...the jeep is slow to start, it cranks just fine, but itll crank for about 4 seconds before firing, i thought this MAY be due an injector issue (last owner chopped injector wires, and hard wired in injectors from an LT1), but i have since also put those back to OEM, and checked the connections twice just to be safe....Not sure what it could be...any ideas?

ALSO misfires randomly when driving, but will not when idle

Before:

After:
Old 12-03-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I'd say you have a lot of checking to do. However, some places to start might be: Oxygen sensors, check with your multimeter, especially the one in the exhaust manifold. Check that manifold for cracking, too. And last, if the fuel pump & tank seals start to fail, the key-off fuel pressure can drop when it sits for an extended period of time, like overnight. If you can use the key-on hold-pedal then-crank technique to re-up the fuel pressure in the morning and get a faster start, then that's a strong sign of it being that issue.