Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Misfiring/bucking slightly while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Misfiring/bucking slightly while driving

1991 stock, This issue came on over the past couple months where the jeep will kind of buck and sputter like it's not getting fuel. We replaced plugs, wires, and o2 sensor and it's much better, but it's still happening. It's driveable now, just an annoyance I want fixed. The odd thing is that it doesn't occur when you're accelerating semi-aggressively, only at a constant speed or when you're fluctuating between on and off of the accelerator at a given speed limit.

I've tested the TPS and as near as I can tell the CPS appears ok...both metered out within acceptable ranges.

I'm not sure at this point if this is fuel system delivery or an emissions issue.

My next step is to replace the fuel filter and potentially the fuel pump unless someone else things I'm off track here.

All help and input appreciated.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000

I would try and check fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge, that will tell you whether or not your pump is good.

Also inspect all your vacuum lines and make sure there aren't any cracked or dryrotted hoses. A vacuum leak will cause misfires like this. Have you checked to see if your throttle body is dirty?
The following 2 users liked this post by t.mcginley.jr:
BlueRidgeMark (10-01-2021), OutbackOz (10-02-2021)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:19 PM

Year: 91

Throttle body didn't look too bad. We replaced the rotor and cap and fuel filter and no change. It's significantly better after the O2 sensor replacement. My son is probably taking it to a shop to have them look at it before we start dumping money into expensive parts.

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:05 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

[QUOTE=ShaunTX;3174408]Throttle body didn't look too bad. We replaced the rotor and cap and fuel filter and no change. It's significantly better after the O2 sensor replacement. My son is probably taking it to a shop to have them look at it before we start dumping money into expensive parts.

Brining an old thread back. But did you figure out what the problem was. Mines doing a similar thing and I’m a bit stuck. Thank you
Old 10-01-2021, 12:12 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

[quote=96bbj;3656766]
Originally Posted by shauntx
throttle body didn't look too bad. We replaced the rotor and cap and fuel filter and no change. It's significantly better after the o2 sensor replacement. My son is probably taking it to a shop to have them look at it before we start dumping money into expensive parts.

Brining an old thread back. But did you figure out what the problem was. Mines doing a similar thing and i’m a bit stuck. Thank you