Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 jeep cherokee xj

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 98 jeep cherokee xj

OK here goes. I just purchased a 1998 jeep xj with 85,000 miles on it the vehicle is in amazing shape. It was used to deliver mail. He said it ran when he parked it but I just got it home and put a new battery in it and nothing. The way he talks is sat for almost 2 years without starting it. But as stated I put a battery in it.and tried to crank it just turns over. But not cranking. So I removed the coil wire off the distributor cap to check fire and I'm not getting and fire. I replaced the ignition coil with a new one and still same results turns over but no crank. And also I don't hear the fuel pump priming either. What I was currious about is if it set that long could the pcm have lost its memory. I've swapped the asd relay with the starter relay and didn't Chang anything. Kinda lost as to where to go from here. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Randy Moore; 11-12-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:37 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fuse

Check the under hood mini-fuses. There’s a 20 amp that protects the PCM. I have a 98 and if I push 4000 rpms for 30 seconds, like climbing a hill, the fuse will blow. The Jeep dies, and will crank but not start.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Check fuel rail pressure. There's a little relief valve on the rail. If you depress it, you should get some gas. But no fuel and no spark is probably something else. Just covering bases
Old 11-13-2017, 03:48 AM

OK when I get off I'll check all the fuses again just to make sure I didn't over look one and ad for the fuel pressure I did depress on the little valve and i didn't get any gas only a very faint pfffff sound..
Old 11-13-2017, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

It is possible the gas got so old it lacquered up the filters on the pump in the tank and they are now clogged. Or the regulator and maybe even the injectors are glued with same. But if you got air pressure at the fuel rail it is trying to send a little pressure of some kind. I would top it off with fresh fuel if you haven't done it already and let it sit a couple days. Then unhook the line at the fuel rail, put a hose over it into a gas can to catch the waste fuel and cycle the key a bunch of times or jump the fuel relay for a bit. This will create an open system with no back pressure and it just might help clear and rinse the system.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:15 PM

Ok guys all my fuses are good. Relays are good. Just replaces the crank sensor. Same results turns over but still no fire to the coil. Keep getting a p1694 code.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Randy Moore
Ok guys all my fuses are good. Relays are good. Just replaces the crank sensor. Same results turns over but still no fire to the coil. Keep getting a p1694 code.
I think that is an ECM code. Wiring to it, or out of it, or the Module it's self.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Banned

i am interested in what you find wrong with your jeep. please let us know how it is goind