Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 Cherokee - Tranny Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre Renix MPI
Default 88 Cherokee - Tranny Problems?

I am completely new to Jeeps, and this forum (Hi!). I recently bought a 88 Cherokee Laredo, Lifted, Manual, 200k miles, New plugs, New steering pump, New fuel filter, Interior roll bar, 33" mud tires, Black steel wheels, Custom winch bumper, tree sliders, roofrack, Dana 30 and 35, 4.0l AMC engine, etc. etc. - all in all not too bad of a deal for $900.

The majority of the work was obviously done home-brew style, so the inside is a bit messy, some bypassing of the vacuum regulator, messy wiring, etc. Lots of lights don't work, the entire dash is out, no guages, you get the picture.

I initially bought the thing, quite honestly, to tear up my back field with, but the first time I got it stuck I think I fell in love. Now I've been playing with it a bit, trying to reconnect some of the bad or unconnected wiring, tearing up the field even more, and thinking about putting some real work into it. However, the last time I got it stuck, I think we may have screwed something up in the transmission by trying to rock out of the situation (I know, I know). All of a sudden yesterday, 2 weeks since it got stuck, the reverse gear quit functioning.

I searched the forum for similar problems, but it seems all I can find are a few vague suggestions, and of course, the usual "replace your tranny" suggestions. Obviously, I'd like to avoid replacement, but if needed I'll do it. I do intend on upgrading to the AX15 ASAP but id like to get the most out of what is here before i do so. I'd also really like to make sure it's absolutely necessary to upgrade before i do, as there's a lot of other areas on this Jeep where I'd like to dump some money first instead.

Can anyone offer any good advice, or a list of things to check, try, etc?

Sweet forum, btw, and I hope to contribute more in the future as my little project progresses

Last edited by CherokeeN00b; 09-16-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

If your reverse gear does not work then you might as well upgrade.
The tranny you most likely have is the Peugeot BA10 To do the upgrade I went with a AX15 and transfer case that it came with because spline count is different and you will need the mounting bracket along with a complete slave cylinder assembly.
I used everything from a 94 XJ
Old 09-16-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre Renix MPI

Originally Posted by JeepingDan
If your reverse gear does not work then you might as well upgrade.
The tranny you most likely have is the Peugeot BA10 To do the upgrade I went with a AX15 and transfer case that it came with because spline count is different and you will need the mounting bracket along with a complete slave cylinder assembly.
I used everything from a 94 XJ
Thanks, you're absolutely right and I am planning the AX15 upgrade, I just wasn't planning on doing it for another month or so and was hoping I could squeeze just a tiny more use out of this one. I guess that may not be possible. Sucks that BA10 is so crappy, I've done quite a bit of research on it and it really does appear to literally be the worst tranny ever, lol.