Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8.25 carrier bearing side adjusters.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 8.25 carrier bearing side adjusters.

Hey all, I have a 29spline 8.25 with a full carrier Detroit locker. I'm doing a disk swap, so I had to take off the passenger side bearing cap to gain access to a bolt on the side of the Detroit, allowing me to pull the centering shaft, and axle shafts.

However while I was working on the brakes, the side adjuster fell right out and starting rolling down the driveway. I genuinely have no idea what the procedure would be to put it back in and set the rotational torque (I assume). Any tips or tricks? I do not have the side adjuster wrench that goes through the axle tube. Not really interested in messing this one up. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

You can use a 32 mm nut on a bar of all thread with a jam nut to adjust the carrier bearings, I also heard the torsion bars from a 99 or so Durango work. Make sure you double check before you go out and buy either of those though. You probably will have to adjust the carrier bearings.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
You can use a 32 mm nut on a bar of all thread with a jam nut to adjust the carrier bearings, I also heard the torsion bars from a 99 or so Durango work. Make sure you double check before you go out and buy either of those though. You probably will have to adjust the carrier bearings.
interesting.. Basically just ready rod with a socket on the end. I don't see how that could tighten it though, it has holes in it that I would assume some sort of scanner style wrench would fit into. The socket would just touch it face to face and not really grab it.. I will do more looking.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ClassicCarl
interesting.. Basically just ready rod with a socket on the end. I don't see how that could tighten it though, it has holes in it that I would assume some sort of scanner style wrench would fit into. The socket would just touch it face to face and not really grab it.. I will do more looking.
Not a socket a nut fits in the octagonal opening to turn the side adjuster
Old 04-05-2016, 10:53 AM

Not a socket a nut fits in the octagonal opening to turn the side adjuster
oh right right I see exactly what you're saying now. I will definitely see if I can make something like that work I don't see why not. Thanks for the help. I'll get back to you later today after I see how it goes!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:09 PM

oh right right I see exactly what you're saying now. I will definitely see if I can make something like that work I don't see why not. Thanks for the help. I'll get back to you later today after I see how it goes!
Glad I could help!
Old 04-06-2016, 08:56 PM

Glad I could help!
No jam.. In order to put the axle shafts into the Detroit, the bearing cap must come off,in order to remove a longer screw holding in the centering pin for the locker. I'm gonna have to use some sort of a spanner tool to make this work.. So frustrating
Old 04-06-2016, 09:18 PM

No jam.. In order to put the axle shafts into the Detroit, the bearing cap must come off,in order to remove a longer screw holding in the centering pin for the locker. I'm gonna have to use some sort of a spanner tool to make this work.. So frustrating
Oh, darn, I don't have any real experience with Detroit lockers, or gear set up so I won't be much help I guess, hopefully someone more experienced will chime in
Old 04-06-2016, 09:42 PM

Oh, darn, I don't have any real experience with Detroit lockers, or gear set up so I won't be much help I guess, hopefully someone more experienced will chime in
I'm just headed out to buy a needle/dial torque wrench and an adjustable spanner wrench. From my searching 10-30in/lbs or 2-3nM is what my rolling torque should be at the pinion, so I'll make it 20 and call it a day. I'll make it work. Lol.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:52 AM

Got new u bolts and picking the rear end up today. Should be doing the swap this weekend.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88

Ignore the ****ty weld this is was I did I believe a 1 1/4 ground down on each side so is fit the hex perfect then get a cheap socket and either hammer it down in the a bar or weld it on. I added thead on the bolt side and then welded both ends and call it good. If I was smart I would of made another one so when you are adjusting the you just loosen or tighten to set it up perfect.