Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.5 inch lift and looking to get about a inch more

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default 4.5 inch lift and looking to get about a inch more

so I have a 4.5 lift with HD offroad no lift shackle relocation box and boomerang iron rock off road 1 inch shackle to help with shackle angle. im going to be going with a rock krawler long arm soon and would like to get a inch more. adding a spacer in the front ok? also my rear shackels have holes for 1.5 on them will that be enough or should I get longer shackels or move the shackle in the box?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You could use a spacer in the coil if needed. For the rear if it were me I would look for a Boomerang Shackle as it will allow a little more flex I run a 1 1/2" one and am very pleased with it. If you have the extra money an aluminum adj. ACOS spacer is what I opted for on mine for the adjustability factor.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have boomerang shackels now they have the hold for 1 inch and inch and half but I have it set at the 1 inch hole the help with the shackle angle now so ur saying go to the 1.5 spot and see how it is?
Old 04-24-2016, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by fannitti
I have boomerang shackels now they have the hold for 1 inch and inch and half but I have it set at the 1 inch hole the help with the shackle angle now so ur saying go to the 1.5 spot and see how it is?

Yes I would try that first seeing how well mine works (non-adj. ones) at 1 1/2" and the amount of flex I have using a 3" Rustys leaf pack. You have several options to try before spending money right now, at least see what you end up with first.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99

Spacer in the front and hd off road shackle relocation bracketed which will lift you and increase your articulation and ride with an improved shackle angle
Old 04-28-2016, 05:54 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 L

No such thing as "just one more" inch
Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998

I got a set of ACOS adjustable coil spacers, they are nice as you can fine tune your ride height up front.... but a regular coil spacer would work just fine, and probably will need bigger shackles in back to keep a decent shackle angle, but you can try moving your shackle on the relocators.

Another thing to consider is not to go higher, but add some bump stop instead.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by bryweb
I got a set of ACOS adjustable coil spacers, they are nice as you can fine tune your ride height up front.... but a regular coil spacer would work just fine, and probably will need bigger shackles in back to keep a decent shackle angle, but you can try moving your shackle on the relocators.

Another thing to consider is not to go higher, but add some bump stop instead.

I hear this alot could you explain why that helps more than more lift plz?
Old 04-29-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by cherokee37
I hear this alot could you explain why that helps more than more lift plz?
Just that it is adjustable, so if you add a new winch bumper and the weight brings the front down, you just need to adjust, or I decide I want 2" more up front, I just adjust. Goes from 1.5" to 3.75" That is all.

They are not cheap, and now they have one with an adjustable bump stop that has a built in shock to the bump stop as well.

I lucked out and got mine for free when a buddy was clearing his garage of old parts to keep his wife happy, it was a take everything or nothing that filled my jeep up 3 times with scrap metal and jeep parts. I did however spend like $20 in parts that were missing for it (But made almost $1000 getting rid of the stuff I did not want)

http://jksmfg.com/c-381122-shop-by-v...g-spacers.html
Old 04-29-2016, 09:49 PM

Just that it is adjustable, so if you add a new winch bumper and the weight brings the front down, you just need to adjust, or I decide I want 2" more up front, I just adjust. Goes from 1.5" to 3.75" That is all.

They are not cheap, and now they have one with an adjustable bump stop that has a built in shock to the bump stop as well.

I lucked out and got mine for free when a buddy was clearing his garage of old parts to keep his wife happy, it was a take everything or nothing that filled my jeep up 3 times with scrap metal and jeep parts. I did however spend like $20 in parts that were missing for it (But made almost $1000 getting rid of the stuff I did not want)

http://jksmfg.com/c-381122-shop-by-v...g-spacers.html
Im sorry I was mainly talking bout why the bump stops are better than more lift
Old 04-29-2016, 11:17 PM

The higher you go, the higher your center of gravity is, the more likely to tip your vehicle if you get off camber in your wheeling. Bump stops can help keep the tires from hitting your fenders without going higher, and pretty darn cheap
Old 04-29-2016, 11:22 PM

The higher you go, the higher your center of gravity is, the more likely to tip your vehicle if you get off camber in your wheeling. Bump stops can help keep the tires from hitting your fenders without going higher, and pretty darn cheap
Ahhh yes I understand now...I know for sure I have inadequate bump stops in the rear lol my tires rub my cage all the time...but I'm ok with that everything is rounded so I'm not worried about a cut tire or body damage unless there is another problem at risk with that happening?