Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3inch or 4.5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 3inch or 4.5?

Im pretty new to this whole thing and had some great replies on my first post very helpful so i thought i would try another. i have a 98 xj and am considering a lift for it. but i dont quite know which lift . The 3inch seems more cost effective but i was hoping for the "flex" of the 4.5. the only downside is with the 3inch i can just bolt it up it seems and the 4.5 requires many other parts like new brake linea t case drop and slip yoke eliminator. this jeep is my DD but also hits the trails pretty good . What im wondering is if the 3i ch vs the 4.5 inch would be a good optuon? and what the benefeits of both might be? im gonna be running 31s or 32s so its not that i need the space for tires really but and input would be awesome because ive heard great things on both lifts oh the ones im looking at are rough country lift "systems"
Old 02-21-2014, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by puddlepirate-xj
Im pretty new to this whole thing and had some great replies on my first post very helpful so i thought i would try another. i have a 98 xj and am considering a lift for it. but i dont quite know which lift . The 3inch seems more cost effective but i was hoping for the "flex" of the 4.5. the only downside is with the 3inch i can just bolt it up it seems and the 4.5 requires many other parts like new brake linea t case drop and slip yoke eliminator. this jeep is my DD but also hits the trails pretty good . What im wondering is if the 3i ch vs the 4.5 inch would be a good optuon? and what the benefeits of both might be? im gonna be running 31s or 32s so its not that i need the space for tires really but and input would be awesome because ive heard great things on both lifts oh the ones im looking at are rough country lift "systems"
I'm not lifted yet.(but will be soon) but from my research it all depends. Mostly on the terrain your running. But unless your against trimming fenders, stick with 3in

Last edited by michaelOH; 02-21-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 AM

Engine: 4.0 i6

Seems like 4.5 with 33's are the way to go right now. And don't let saving up for a little longer discourage you from a 4.5. I have 4.5 with 33's and love. As for the flex, the depends on the kit you have and a few other small things. Like long arms sway disconnects and things such as that. I'd save longer and go for the 4.5 but thats just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lifted my jeep 4.5 inches without doing any sort of research about it. I ended up having to buy some other things along with the lift and ive had some lift issues. Im happy with it now, but just do lots of research before lifting. It'll save you some headaches.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6
Talking

My son (Larry) got the RC 4.5 with all the "extras" . Lines, TCdrop, 4 front arms, leaf pac, track bar, discos.

I think the longer control arms help eliminate death wobble. Caster was dead on when aligned. Currently on 31s.

There might be lifts that ride better, Rough Country is more than a name

Definatly suggest a torch, impact, tall jack stands for install. Lots of PB Blaster

Installed just before winter so haven't tweeked it yet. Looking into tapered shims for rear axle/leafs. Need to get angle finder to check shaft angles. This is only DD in winter, Silverado SS for summer

He does get lots of compliments on it. Only drawback is my old a$$ has a little trouble getting in

Last edited by Larry's XJ; 02-21-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:38 AM

Ya that's the hard part for me is the saving haha but from everything I've seen it looks like the 4.5 would be worth it and ya I'd be doing the long arms haha
Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Lift size doesn't have much to do with flex. You can build for more up travel, down travel or split it however you like.

When I was at 3" I could stuff a tire, but was setup for droop over up travel. I kept up fine with the guys I run with.

I just stepped up to 4.5" and I'm still setup for droop because of the shocks I'm using. It's definitely a lot more work (+ $) stepping up to 4.5" and doing it right.

If the biggest tire you're looking at is a 32" stick with the 3". Trim where you need to and go to town.

I'd suggest looking at other lifts though, such as Zone or RE, over RC.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

To do everything "properly" to go from a 3" to a 4 1/2" lift as in do it right the first time and be safe is money quite a bit. I have just finished buying all the parts used to do it and reused about all my 3" stuff also. For the "Upgrade" to date not finished and not including gears and lockers about $3500, without labor costs, I did not want to buy some things again. You could spend much less than this for sure.

I am using a Rustys Off Road 3" lift full spring package have been very happy with it and springs have not sagged a bit. I had also bought a RC Long arm Kit along with their std 4 1/2" lift kit my son gave me. After looking at everything for several months I decided not to install and look for better quality products. LA Kit sold quick still have the std 4/1/2" lift in the box for sale.

Anyway I would suggest a 3" for starters and I ran 33x12:50x15" on mine with only fender trimming and a pinch seem beat down on fender well. I would suggest a trackbar and some fender trimming with any larger tires.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:12 AM

Year: 1999 limited
Engine: Inline six 4.0 242 ci

Get a zone lift. And also buy Newwwww leaf packs. I got an AAL kit and my spring actually snapped in half so now I need new springs. So whatever lift you get. Buy new leaf packs and save yourself a bit of hell
Old 02-21-2014, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

If you go with a 3" kit and set it up very well, it won't take much to go to 4.5. This means adjustable double shear track bar, and adjustable lower control arms. Also, the SYE. Chances are even at 3" you'll need this. I have the Zone 3" kit with all of the things mentioned above and have vibrations at 35-40mph. SYE just needs to be ordered.

Then to go to 4.5, you'd only need longer shackles and you could throw coil spacers in the front, extended brake lines, and possibly some axle shims. Also...bumpstops are important. Don't skip on those.

This is the approach I've taken with my rig. Lots of people will say do it all at once and go the height you ultimately want to at first, but for me, I'm new to the jeep lifting scene and wanted to work my way up. I'll eventually bump to 4.5 and already have the spacers, shackles, and brake lines for it. All I need is the SYE.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 PM

I'll keep an eye out for other lifts too rough country seemed like a good product for the price ya know. And I think I will start with the 3" I figure I can add too it from there and ya 31s or 32s would be perfect. I also have a Chrysler 8.25 rear to slap under my jeep too lol just don't have a while world of confidence in that Dana 35 lol. And since mine has the 3.07 gears this Chrysler has the 3.55 so for 200 bucks I can save on that front
Old 02-21-2014, 01:29 PM

And very shortly after the lift is getting a locker hehe
Old 02-21-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts

I am at 3'' with 31's and was strongly considering going up to 4.5 but after doing alott of Low COG research I have decided to stay at 3''. IMO I wouldnt go up to 4.5 unless I was running 35-37'' tall tires and I cant afford a regear. 3'' of lift seems to be where its at for guys running 35s or smaller its all about the trim and bumpstop. Im just waiting to bust out the cut off wheel once the weather breaks and then its time for 33s.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
If you go with a 3" kit and set it up very well, it won't take much to go to 4.5. This means adjustable double shear track bar, and adjustable lower control arms. Also, the SYE. Chances are even at 3" you'll need this. I have the Zone 3" kit with all of the things mentioned above and have vibrations at 35-40mph. SYE just needs to be ordered.

Then to go to 4.5, you'd only need longer shackles and you could throw coil spacers in the front, extended brake lines, and possibly some axle shims. Also...bumpstops are important. Don't skip on those.

This is the approach I've taken with my rig. Lots of people will say do it all at once and go the height you ultimately want to at first, but for me, I'm new to the jeep lifting scene and wanted to work my way up. I'll eventually bump to 4.5 and already have the spacers, shackles, and brake lines for it. All I need is the SYE.
At 3" I did need a transfer case drop kit and that took of my problem same as yours. You also didn't shocks they need to be changed for the extra length also. Now is a good time to get a good set of shocks and they can run from $100 min. to the sky is the limit. I went to the manufacture and asked for help then to a 4x4 shop who did setup on mostly Jeeps for help before I made a decision.

The same goes for each and every piece you buy to get where you want to be. Shackles $49-$350, Adj LCA/UCA $129-$300+ea/Track Bars $119-$375+ what kind of quality, performance do you want.

All I can suggest is buy the best "You" can afford and call it good, this is a hobby after all. But............my wife says I always get carried away with everything I do, well you can't take it with you. This week I did buy 2 new guns just for my XJ a pistol and rifle she gave up on my gun buying long ago and just shakes her head.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

I'm just not a fan of the transfer case drop. In reality, you're dropping the engine and tranny in addition to the transfer case. You lose a little ground clearance as well. I'm a fan of doing it the right way. I'm going to deal with the vibes until I have the funds for my SYE.

Quick Reply: 3inch or 4.5?