Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Lift Components

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default 3" Lift Components

So in a few months I'm gonna be looking into a 3" Old Man Emu lift for my 98 XJ. Here's what I am getting/know I need to get
Full 3" Leaf Packs + Coils
4 OME Shocks
OME Steering Stabilizer
Bushings
UBolts

My question is: is there anything else I should invest in. I want a smooth on-road ride and a capable weekend wheeler. I don't do too much insane offroading, as its my DD. Are any of these things necesary for a 3" lift and mild wheeling?

Long Arms
SYE
TCase Drop
Adjustable TracBar
Anything else?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I'm pretty sure at only 3" you won't need an adjustable trackbar. You can probably get away with the stock upper control arms but you should pick up some adjustable lowers. You may also be able to get away with just a t-case drop. You also may need some extended swaybar links (if you are running a sway bar) and extended brake lines.

I think that should do it. But it's late and I'm tired haha so I may be forgetting something
Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: I6 4.0 L

Originally Posted by 98_XJ Sport
So in a few months I'm gonna be looking into a 3" Old Man Emu lift for my 98 XJ. Here's what I am getting/know I need to get
Full 3" Leaf Packs + Coils
4 OME Shocks
OME Steering Stabilizer
Bushings
UBolts

My question is: is there anything else I should invest in. I want a smooth on-road ride and a capable weekend wheeler. I don't do too much insane offroading, as its my DD. Are any of these things necesary for a 3" lift and mild wheeling?

Long Arms
SYE
TCase Drop
Adjustable TracBar
Anything else?
Longarms = no. Sye = most likely not, every jeep is different. Tcase drop = most likely, again every jeep is different. Lots of people do the tcase drop with 3" lift. Adjustable track bar = yes or get a trackbar relocation bracket.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5L turbo, 4.0L tb swap, ported head ect

IRO double sheer track bar. Dont get a single sheer unit..they fail & wear way to often/quickly.
Extended brake lines & once your lift is on, some bump stocks. Also look into the V8 Zj tie rod for a cheap but beef steering upgrade!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

I've been running 3" lift for about 8 months now with stock track bar and have been fine. It shifted my front axle a little to the driver's side, and most people will tell you to do something about that. I haven't and I have been fine. Although I did pick up an adjustable track bar the other day, because I got a good deal on it.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 86-Chief
IRO double sheer track bar. Dont get a single sheer unit..they fail & wear way to often/quickly.
Extended brake lines & once your lift is on, some bump stocks. Also look into the V8 Zj tie rod for a cheap but beef steering upgrade!
Yea or just relocate the brake line brackets for more slack. Oh and an alignment.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nperryman
I've been running 3" lift for about 8 months now with stock track bar and have been fine. It shifted my front axle a little to the driver's side, and most people will tell you to do something about that. I haven't and I have been fine. Although I did pick up an adjustable track bar the other day, because I got a good deal on it.

Correct I did that same with my 3"..but when it fails its IRO double sheer time. Which is on its way to me

A single sheer bar used a TRE and they where quickly when wheeled and often fail due to poor design. IRO was 198 shipped to my door..the RC track bar was 140 something..& its single sheer & wimpy looking..so I payed to get the correct bar.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

3in lift everything can stay stock... No shocks, brake lines, trac bar (may move it if u want... Aka redrill the hole)... Stock control arms upper and lower... 3.5is when u gotta start doing all this other stuff...

Some bad info here in this thread for some reason... You wont need a alignment if u dont change your steering either... Which u shouldnt be... stock control arms and non adjustable aftermarket control arms cant be adjusted so nothing can be done... And even if u change steering components they can easily be realigned with a simple measuring tape...

Last edited by huntingman2706217; 05-07-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
3in lift everything can stay stock... No shocks, brake lines, trac bar (may move it if u want... Aka redrill the hole)... Stock control arms upper and lower... 3.5is when u gotta start doing all this other stuff...

Some bad info here in this thread for some reason... You wont need a alignment if u dont change your steering either... Which u shouldnt be... stock control arms and non adjustable aftermarket control arms cant be adjusted so nothing can be done... And even if u change steering components they can easily be realigned with a simple measuring tape...

Yup, I drove around for well over a year..never touched the alignment.
I dropped the steering, swapped coils, shocks & stabilizer. Bolted it back up. No funky wear at all!
I then did arms & a tie rod and did a self alignment with chalk line & a tape measure and still it doesn't pull or feel weird. Still no uneven wear either.

I think the rear brake line is a must on a 3" lift..any flexing and mine was tight as a bow string. Your front lines will be fine, and you can actually bend the hard line straight to get more length from them.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217

Stock shocks with a 3" lift? I've never heard of not needing an alignment after a lift. I didn't replace anything on my steering and my toe in/out was off by quite a bit.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

My tires wore uneven and they didn't before the lift. I'll even take pictures if you don't believe me.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Banned

Stock shocks with a 3" lift? I've never heard of not needing an alignment after a lift. I didn't replace anything on my steering and my toe in/out was off by quite a bit.

Did you change/upgrade or play with your tie rod?
These straight axle jeeps are quite simple...caster & toe thats it!

If you have camber issues, check your housing, check your outter C's & check your ball joints!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 AM
CF Veteran

Did you change/upgrade or play with your tie rod?
These straight axle jeeps are quite simple...caster & toe thats it!

If you have camber issues, check your housing, check your outter C's & check your ball joints!
Did nothing with my tie rod.... Actually that's all that needed to be aligned-the toe. It was off, but it still needed to be changed. You definitely need to readjust your toe in/out after the change the height in your suspension. Also he said he wanted a nice ride, and I'm not sure how much the o.p. is wanting to spend, but longer lower control arms might give a softer ride up front than 3" right? It's not necessary though, I am on stock control arms.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

It will DD fine on stock shocks yes... If your aligment was out then it was before the lift...toe is adjusted by steering linkage only... Thing about it... the bolts on the control arms didnt have cambered washers or nothing for adjustments did they? Cant adjust anything so a aligment isnt needed...
Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I think the rear brake line is a must on a 3" lift..any flexing and mine was tight as a bow string. Your front lines will be fine, and you can actually bend the hard line straight to get more length from them.
Like was stated earlier, every jeep is different. I'm sitting at 4.5", and my rear is still stock. At full flex it gets close, but it is never taught. However, mine was an upcountry so that may play a role it it as well.

Quick Reply: 3" Lift Components