Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5 rubicon lift noises

Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 3.5 rubicon lift noises

Hey guys, I got the 3.5 Rubicon super-ride lift on my 4 door 98 4x4 Cherokee.

Got some vibration rattle type feeling while accelerating. Also when I feather on or off the gas very lightly or not you can kinda feel and hear a bump knock sound as well.

When the back comes down off a speed bump, on the way up you also feel and hear a small thud.

When I shake the rear drive shaft up and down it moves along a tad with the transfer case.

A buddy believes this is all from that drive shaft and to lower the case will do it up.

Ive read broader routes to take as well, feel free to pour them in, cost would be nice too.

Im only runnin 30s by the way.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 762x39

Got some vibration rattle type feeling while accelerating. Also when I feather on or off the gas very lightly or not you can kinda feel and hear a bump knock sound as well.

When the back comes down off a speed bump, on the way up you also feel and hear a small thud.

When I shake the rear drive shaft up and down it moves along a tad with the transfer case.

A buddy believes this is all from that drive shaft and to lower the case will do it up.

Ive read broader routes to take as well, feel free to pour them in, cost would be nice too.

Search SYE to fix your issues, dont bother with a tcase drop

you cant just put a front ds in and lower the tcase. to use a front ds you will need to do either a hnt or sye. the the price of an sye its not that much more $ to get as to a hnt.

hnt cost is around $100 plus a used ds from your jy ontop of that.

sye cost is usually around $200ish plus cost of front ds at your jy.

sye is stronger than hnt, for install all you have to do is open up your tcase. should only take a few hours for install no delays.

hnt install you dont need to open up your tcase, just take the rear ds out and shorter your rear output shaft. can install a hnt in about 30min. for a hnt just make sure you feel comfortable drilling dead center into your output shaft. if you are off a little bit then will get some vibs from it.

hope this answers your quesitons.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Some people get away with a transfer case drop and angle shims under the rear springs, but yeah replacing the stock drive shaft is the "right" way to go.

A Slip Yoke Eliminator comes in two types. Hack-'N-Tap is where you cut the existing output shaft down and bolt on a U-joint yoke to grab a double-cardan drive shaft. Rarely hear of these breaking. The better kind involves replacing the main shaft of your transfercase with one that is prepared with a new yoke. The front drive shaft you need to get depends on your transmission, lift, rear axle, and how you did the SYE. A HNT on an automatic with the C8.25 will need a shorter DS than a manual with a short-shaft SYE kit with a D35 in the rear.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:16 PM

thanks for the replies, I need to work on my abbreviations lmao.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:28 AM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

I have a 3.5 lift and get a knocking noise from the rear exhaust hanger smacking my leafs. Not sure if you have the same thing. I had the Drop Kit on mine and took it off because I couldnt shift into 4 low. I did however get the slip joint eliminator kit and i will see how that works tommorow.

Also, not that i have any experience with the hack n tap versions but they just seem hokey, cheaper but hokey. I got mine for $270 plus a $350 drive shaft.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by ColoradoCorey
I have a 3.5 lift and get a knocking noise from the rear exhaust hanger smacking my leafs. Not sure if you have the same thing. I had the Drop Kit on mine and took it off because I couldnt shift into 4 low. I did however get the slip joint eliminator kit and i will see how that works tommorow.

Also, not that i have any experience with the hack n tap versions but they just seem hokey, cheaper but hokey. I got mine for $270 plus a $350 drive shaft.
keep me posted bud, mind sharing your place of purchase?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you taken a close look at you're tranny mount?

Your t-case should not move at all when you try to move your drive shaft.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Have you taken a close look at you're tranny mount?

Your t-case should not move at all when you try to move your drive shaft.
When I shake up and down on the drive shaft close to the transfer case the shaft is loose and the case moves.

Under the case, thier is a frame beam and above that I take it is where the botom of the case rested before because their is a black spacer looking thing about 10x10 that now is raised about an inch or 2 above the frame beam. Looks like it was ripped off of it.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:23 AM

When I shake up and down on the drive shaft close to the transfer case the shaft is loose and the case moves.

Under the case, thier is a frame beam and above that I take it is where the botom of the case rested before because their is a black spacer looking thing about 10x10 that now is raised about an inch or 2 above the frame beam. Looks like it was ripped off of it.

The slip yoke eliminator I bought was from 4 wheel parts, the drive shaft is from Drive Line Service. Mind you I installed all of this so if you want it installed its gonna cost you twice that (unless you know somebody).

The beam you talk about is rear support/cross member and yes it has the transmission support on it "Black Spacer" as well as a rubber/metal transmission mount. Not sure if all Cherokees used the same method for mounting/supporting but mine had a 3/8 thick plate mounted to the transmission then off of that the transmission (rubber/metal) mount which in turn mounts to the rear cross member.

As far as the T-Case moving up and down, that is not good in any sense. If the shaft is moving then you have some internal issues. There is a minor amount of play in the shaft in and out but not up and down. If its just the case the mount can be replaced.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Several options (I have the same lift):

Drop the TC - lousy long term
Install a SYE - expensive
Shim the rear axle - cheap and works

BTW, these are not mutually exclusive...
Old 06-09-2012, 08:29 PM

my buddy thinks they hooked me up with stock size shocks, I believe they gave me the 3000s pro comp shocks.

they are 11 and a half inches in the body.

Wonder if this is why Im feeling such a hit in the rear at bumps, small bumps even, its ridiculous.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 PM

my buddy thinks they hooked me up with stock size shocks, I believe they gave me the 3000s pro comp shocks.

they are 11 and a half inches in the body.

Wonder if this is why Im feeling such a hit in the rear at bumps, small bumps even, its ridiculous.
Im not sure that sounds right. The reason for the longer shocks is for travel reasons. On a short travel you shouldnt feel any kind of thud from the shock. If the shock is bottoming out then maybe the shock is bad?

I just measured my pro comp shock and they are 11" as well
Old 06-09-2012, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by ColoradoCorey
Im not sure that sounds right. The reason for the longer shocks is for travel reasons. On a short travel you shouldnt feel any kind of thud from the shock. If the shock is bottoming out then maybe the shock is bad?

I just measured my pro comp shock and they are 11" as well
dang it! what the heck is goin on then? If Im on the freeway goin 60 and hit even just one of those seems in the road you know, it just bangs all to hell. Train tracks, speed bumps, it sucks.How in the hell would I want to drive off road? This is ridiculous.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by yarom
Several options (I have the same lift):

Drop the TC - lousy long term
Install a SYE - expensive
Shim the rear axle - cheap and works

BTW, these are not mutually exclusive...
in a jeep with a lift on it I imagine Im not nuts thinking I should be able to hit bumps without the back going, BAMMM! somethings really wrong.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 AM

who said you guys could sleep!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.5 rubicon lift noises