Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd to 4wd w/ longarm conversion at once

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2wd to 4wd w/ longarm conversion at once

Okay, I've always wanted the longarm conversion XJ, but this is different. This is only to improve the ride over rocky terrain. This won't be for just "Lifting" or mudding. So in 2021, what is the best option for Front diff using today's donors? Considering I want the long arms on the front it might change the donor. I'll go ahead and say I think the Dana 60 is overboard for my application, or is it? So how about helping me put together a parts list for an all in one conversion from a bone stock two wheel drive? I really want to keep the bone stock straight six & auto configuration. Thanks for letting me join up.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:45 AM

Received 243 Likes on 200 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L

I guess the answer depends on what you're looking for.

If you're not going to go crazy with the lift and tires and just want a smooth ride with some good articulation, stick with the D30. You can truss it and add some stronger shafts if you need to beef it up some more, but there's not much need to throw a D60 under it if you're going to have 31-33" tires on a 3-5" lift with long arms.

If you want to upgrade to a D44 you can run some 35-37" tires, but beware that that axle is hard to find these days and is highly coveted by most jeep guys. So you'll pay dearly for it if you do find it. Same goes for the D60. There is, however, another option. The Ford Super Duty D50 front is essentially a D44 carrier with D60 outers, and they're not nearly as coveted so you can pick one up easily. Well, inexpensively. They're heavy. I have 2 in my garage. The only bad part then is the 8 lug special bolt pattern. It's a very strong axle that you can get quite easily. It won't break the bank and it won't be absolute overkill. The only thing I can see wrong with using one is the spring perches are way far out there, so you'd have to be pretty creative.

Long story short, I'd just stick with the 30 and truss the damned thing.