Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: strait 6
Default 2nd battery

ok i want to add a 2nd battery for kc lights,dc converter, and a compressor for tires. there is no room for a 2nd batter under the hood in my 88 i was wondering if anyone had any ideas
Old 06-08-2012, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Figure out your amperage draw with all the accessories and get a proper alternator.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by WyoWagner
ok i want to add a 2nd battery for kc lights,dc converter, and a compressor for tires. there is no room for a 2nd batter under the hood in my 88 i was wondering if anyone had any ideas
The Hardcore audio guys put it the passenger foot well then fab a board across it. There's still enough room afterwards for their feet. And go Deep Cycle and were the batteries in parallel.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:32 PM

And put a switch to cut power off of the parallel series so you still can start it. Only complete the circuit when the deep cell is dead And needs charging.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:45 PM

Engine: strait 6

Originally Posted by RickBross
And put a switch to cut power off of the parallel series so you still can start it. Only complete the circuit when the deep cell is dead And needs charging.
so if you run both batteries all the time will it put to much strain on the alternator?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

I thought about doin the same thing but I was goin to use a battery for my old diehard portable jump pack since is a 12v and it small enough to fit in the engine compartment
Old 06-08-2012, 07:02 PM

so if you run both batteries all the time will it put to much strain on the alternator?
In series, not in parallel. Bleepinjeep has a cool set up shown in one of his YouTube videos showing tr shut off switch set up.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: AMC242

1) GET AN ISOLATOR. If you don't isolate the batteries, you'll have them "duelling" and draining each other.

2) The secondary battery may be mounted wherever you like, it's just a matter of wiring. Some guys try to get the Diesel XJ tray and install a snorkel, which allows the second battery to be mounted in place of the airbox. I plan to put my secondary in the cargo area, just for easier access (NB: If you're putting the battery in the passenger enclosure, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you put it in an enclosed box which is vented to the outside air. Batteries tend to outgas hydrogen when they're being charged. While hydrogen is not poisonous in se, it does displace oxygen - and it will do so from the top of the pax compartment down, since it's lighter than air.)

3) How the accessories run off of the battery really depends on how everything gets hooked up.

4) If you plan to run the accessories without the engine running, then a second battery is likely warranted. If you plan to have the engine running, you're better off getting an uprated alternator. Your 1988XJ should run the Delco CS130, which any competent shop can get 140A or so out of without even yawning. If you don't have a local shop that can upwind it for you, www.kelleyswip.com/sjg.html (not my shop, but the shop I use. Rod and I talked, and I ended up making a few pages for him on my site. Let's just say there's a good reason I've been using his work for the last 10-12 years...)

But, before you start spending money, spend a little time and figure out more exactly what your plans are - they still sound a little vague...
Old 06-09-2012, 10:45 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I don't know what year XJ you have, but here is how it's done:

Get rid of the air intake box - you can replace it with a Spectre, Thor or Snorkel.

Get a proper battery base plate in the location of the air box. Wrangler NW has one for XJ but I cannot recommend it due to lack of proper instructions and very tight fit. In any case, batteries are heavy and expensive, They cannot move around, rattle or anything. Needs to be very well installed.

If you are not familiar with car electrics, get someone to connect the batteries properly, using proper 2AWG cable, a good isolator, switch and proper fuse (250A). I think Rugged Ridge and Painless sell complete kits.

Install a power distribution center (PDC) off the second battery. Wagon Gear has an excellent one that is not expensive. You can also use the sPOD, but that would cost way more. This way you can have proper power switching (relays) and all the cute remote switches can be in the cabin.
Attached Thumbnails 2nd battery-p1030029.jpg   2nd battery-p1030004.jpg   2nd battery-p1030016.jpg  

Last edited by yarom; 06-09-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: fixes
Old 06-09-2012, 10:49 AM

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails 2nd battery-p1030026.jpg  
Old 06-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by yarom
More pictures
Everything looks so clean. Did you just replace everything?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM

It's a 98 XJ with only 58K miles and taken care of extremely well... The batteries are new...
Old 06-09-2012, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5-90
1) GET AN ISOLATOR. If you don't isolate the batteries, you'll have them "duelling" and draining each other.

2) The secondary battery may be mounted wherever you like, it's just a matter of wiring. Some guys try to get the Diesel XJ tray and install a snorkel, which allows the second battery to be mounted in place of the airbox. I plan to put my secondary in the cargo area, just for easier access (NB: If you're putting the battery in the passenger enclosure, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you put it in an enclosed box which is vented to the outside air. Batteries tend to outgas hydrogen when they're being charged. While hydrogen is not poisonous in se, it does displace oxygen - and it will do so from the top of the pax compartment down, since it's lighter than air.)

3) How the accessories run off of the battery really depends on how everything gets hooked up.

4) If you plan to run the accessories without the engine running, then a second battery is likely warranted. If you plan to have the engine running, you're better off getting an uprated alternator. Your 1988XJ should run the Delco CS130, which any competent shop can get 140A or so out of without even yawning. If you don't have a local shop that can upwind it for you, www.kelleyswip.com/sjg.html (not my shop, but the shop I use. Rod and I talked, and I ended up making a few pages for him on my site. Let's just say there's a good reason I've been using his work for the last 10-12 years...)

But, before you start spending money, spend a little time and figure out more exactly what your plans are - they still sound a little vague...
This.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

do you have more clean pics of the engine bay?
Do you have pic of the additional wiring/isolators needed for dual battery setup