Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" Lift... what ALL is needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2" Lift... what ALL is needed?

Never done a lift before. Never seen one done. I've been a muscle car guy my whole life until I bought the XJ.

I want to raise it 2" max, mainly because anything over that would just be a waste given the type of driving I do.

So, what ALLLLLLL is needed to lift a 2000 XJ Sport up 2 inches?

Shackles? New springs? Brake line extensions? Steering adjustment? 2" doesn't seem like much, but I don't know how much play there is in the existing components, so I need to know every last item that I will need to alter in order to make it happen.

My rear leafs are sagging, I have to replace them, but I don't want to do it if I'm just going to end up replacing them again when I lift it - so for a 2" lift, do you get new springs or just shackle the existing ones?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6

With a 2 inch lift you really aren't raising it to the point of needing much. You will not need brake line extrnsions or anything like that. Really some coil spacers and a AAL or 2 inch shackle in the back will do it. Look up some of the 2 inch lifts from RE, rough country, Zone, etc. and their kits really will include everything you need.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 AM

Year: 1999

I just put on the daystar puck and shackle kit on mine and it looks pretty good besides my saggy leafs, in my opinion Id get new leafs if yours are bad. Mine are driving me nuts.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New leafs are without question. Also, the driver's side rear tire seems to sit in just a hair more than the passenger side rear... not sure if it's because the vehicle is leaning (it sort of looks like it is), or if something else is screwed up down there...
Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 77olds
New leafs are without question. Also, the driver's side rear tire seems to sit in just a hair more than the passenger side rear... not sure if it's because the vehicle is leaning (it sort of looks like it is), or if something else is screwed up down there...
Are all the wheels the same? And is it completely stock back there?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah mine does that, I have aftermarket wheels and tires that are bigger than stock spares. My driver rear sags bad, I've been told to get Durango or Dakota rear leafs from pick-and-pull
Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ShakeandbakeXJ
I just put on the daystar puck and shackle kit on mine and it looks pretty good besides my saggy leafs, in my opinion Id get new leafs if yours are bad. Mine are driving me nuts.
yea i agree with you man i have a rustys 2 inch in my cherokee love it and saggy leafs suck if you have the money buy new stock leafs and add a shackle it will ride so much better
Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Do it right and do it once, thats the moto I try and follow. I couldn't come up with alll of the funds at once so when I had a couple hundred $ I bought the packs, then when I had some more cash I bought the coils, front shocks, rear shocks, etc. etc. You could even buy one pack at a time http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...hp?kw=OME+leaf But I have a solid platform to build off of and when I want to go higher I'll throw in an extra leaf, +1", then a Shackle then coil spacers or ACOS with bumpstops, long arns the list goes on and on.

Give http://dpgoffroad.com/ a call tell them your plans and they'll steer you in the right direction as opposed to try and make a fortune off you, at the time they had the best prices to boot. They're good guys and a couple of them have XJ's.

I've had my packs since 06' they sit as high as the day I put them on they ride 10X better then it did stock. When I put the packs on, ran like this for a year or so......

With a load, 16' aluminum 50 hp

Currently, I alway's run with some extra suplies in the back, ~50 lbs, takes some of the "stiffness" out of the springs.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Is it because that's the side where the spare rides? I pulled it out once, and they're not light.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I am in the same boat. Doing new springs and coils up front. Question is what shocks to go with? Mine are rusted to crap.

Also, I plan on only doing 2" lift but would it be a bad idea to use the 3" shocks in case I want to go larger down the road, or should I only use 2" shocks?

Last edited by Synyster; 01-03-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:29 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

im doing the same as well im buying new HD front coils that give .7'' more lift then stock and im guna run 2'' shackle/spacer lift. i bought brand new stock shocks when i got the jeep not even thinking about lift :/ but im going to use them and get the new leafs soon. for 2'' u really dont need anything stock length shocks will be fine with 2'' as for brake lines ect theres no need to upgrade IMO. obv stock sagging shocks/leafs/ coils arent going to give u much of a lift at all so its a good idea to replace them. people think 2'' is a waste but if u dont wheel hard or much its not worth the added work to go bigger and if u replace the factory sagging stuff u will likely see more closer to 3'' lift anyways. will trimming u can easily run 31''s thats what im going to be running in the spring.