Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" lift for my "mall crawler"

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2" lift for my "mall crawler"

I've got a '99 2wd xj sport. After making a short trip with a few buddies (4 people total in the car), I could hear the rear tires rubbing the wheel wells. I got out, got under the jeep and noticed that my stock leafs are slightly inverted. I've gone back and forth through my head whether to just go back to stock leaves or a small lift, and I can't entirely make up my mind.

With that being said, I've never done a lift, but I have a friend who works on cars fairly often, so this would be a project we (he) would be undertaking. I ride this mostly highway/city and go down minor trails at my work and when heading to fishing spots, so I don't need anything crazy, but if I went with a lift I have decided I don't want to go with an AAL, or blocks. Basically, I want a full leaf pack. Are there any decent kits out there that I should be looking at, other than OME (That's wayy out of my price range)? I would have about $500 to spend on the complete deal.

What else, other than leafs should I be looking at? Springs, shocks, etc. I would appreciate any and all help you can give, I've been doing my searching, but I'm a noob, so a lot of the terms I come across are new to me.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Check out the link in my signature- There are several 2" kits with full leaf packs. That being said, they are all more expensive than the block/spacer route. OME is known for their exception ride quality. That is why they are expensive. There are cheaper options as you get higher (3-4 inch range)

Last edited by Ianf406; 11-21-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

If it is 2wd and you are only trying to get it back straight/level, the stock way might be your best bet. There are a few brands that make custom leaf springs but once again- it is going to be pricy. I know you can make a bastard pack out of other vehicles (s10 etc) but I am not sure on the specifics. You would have to search for that or someone else might pipe in.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:34 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0 I6

4wheelparts has stock replacement leafs for about $100 per side. Seems like an ok price to me for complete leaf replacement cuz add-a-leaf sux. I will be doing this to my 99 soon
Old 11-21-2013, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Specter777
I've got a '99 2wd xj sport. After making a short trip with a few buddies (4 people total in the car), I could hear the rear tires rubbing the wheel wells. I got out, got under the jeep and noticed that my stock leafs are slightly inverted. I've gone back and forth through my head whether to just go back to stock leaves or a small lift, and I can't entirely make up my mind.

With that being said, I've never done a lift, but I have a friend who works on cars fairly often, so this would be a project we (he) would be undertaking. I ride this mostly highway/city and go down minor trails at my work and when heading to fishing spots, so I don't need anything crazy, but if I went with a lift I have decided I don't want to go with an AAL, or blocks. Basically, I want a full leaf pack. Are there any decent kits out there that I should be looking at, other than OME (That's wayy out of my price range)? I would have about $500 to spend on the complete deal.

What else, other than leafs should I be looking at? Springs, shocks, etc. I would appreciate any and all help you can give, I've been doing my searching, but I'm a noob, so a lot of the terms I come across are new to me.
I don't think I have ever saw a set of stock springs with an arch. Many trucks run inverted springs from the factory. Depends on the application.

Just saying "inverted" does not mean they are shot.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Why don't you get new factory packs and a 2inch lift shackle for the rear.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 AM

What leads me to believe they were shot is that I'm getting tire rub with passengers in the backseat. I would hope that isn't normal, but even if it is, that should be fixed.

From what I've read, lifting with just shackles isn't really a good idea, I may have interpreted what I read wrong though, so I'm more than open for explanation
Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Year: 1998

What leads me to believe they were shot is that I'm getting tire rub with passengers in the backseat. I would hope that isn't normal, but even if it is, that should be fixed.

From what I've read, lifting with just shackles isn't really a good idea, I may have interpreted what I read wrong though, so I'm more than open for explanation

and why is that?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:48 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Measure your wheel center to bottom of fender flare. It should be 17" on the rear give or take but you'll probably read more like 15 or 16". If you have a Cherokee and the springs are upside down, they are old and ruined. Mine were the same way. I would bottom out just cornering sometimes.

You can find some of the "HD" stock springs which I believe are made to resemble the 'Upcountry" package from the dealer. They will give you 1" lift over stock, so you should get an ~18" height from it. Quadratec sells them for $100 a piece or so. http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11.htm

They will have a slightly higher spring rate & arch. If you don't want to do much to it, this may be your best bet. I have a 99, and I ended up going 4" up cause I started thinking "why not" but it adds alot of cost & work.

First things first... Get yourself a bottle of Kroil or 2 (google "kroil google deal") and start soaking all the connection points. You don't want the weld nuts to break off inside the frame, it will ruin your weekend. You will need to replace your u bolts as well. You can find some of them for $25-$40 on-line depending on vendor. Get grade 8 if you can, they are the strongest, and you need to make sure they fit your axle.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Try these
Dorman 929-301 Leaf Spring for Jeep Cherokee, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive Dorman 929-301 Leaf Spring for Jeep Cherokee, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 11-22-2013, 09:01 AM

I just replaced my worn out leaf springs with HD replacements and a 2in shackle lift as well. after all was said and done I gained almost 4 inches in the rear. the ride is night and day(for the better). before, if anyone was in the back seat, It would rub. 4wheel has crown replacements for around 100 each, just remember, if you go hd in the rear, you might want to do the front in hd as well or else your rear will be jacked up. doing an aal to worn out leafs probably won't help too much, and it won't take long for them to wear down as well.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by holycaveman
I don't think I have ever saw a set of stock springs with an arch. Many trucks run inverted springs from the factory. Depends on the application.

Just saying "inverted" does not mean they are shot.
you don't get out much, do you?

XJ springs arn't supposed to be "inverted" they are sagged out.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:55 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

Zone offroad is another company that makes a 2" kit that will be less expensive than ome. You can also search through fatbobsgarage.com they have some great stock and aftermarket lift components. Rockauto.com is another place to check for good stock parts. Lastly, 1 3/4 or 2" Spacers in the front and new stock packs with a slightly lifted shackle (.75-1") would give an even lift at a resonable price as well. Hope this helps!
Old 11-23-2013, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

I don't know where you read that but it is wrong. Lifting with a shackle is a good idea. It improves flex(not that it matters for you). And doesn't cause axle wrap(like blocks do). Personally I think new HD packs and a 1inch shackle would be perfect for you.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche

i have been looking at http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...urer_PQ=Rancho and http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-leaf-kit.html

Quick Reply: 2" lift for my "mall crawler"