Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1Ton steering setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1Ton steering setup

Pros and cons. All the research I have done is pretty much all pros. Just wanted to check and see if anyone has any cons with the 1 ton setup. It's a rustys setup that I will be installing, I realize the stock y setup is crap, what differences have you seen and felt with the 1ton.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

The Rusty's steering is junk it came on my jeep iv been through 3 sets of moog tie rod ends in a year. Look else where or ill sell you a kit cheap.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:48 PM

The set I have is using heims not tie rod ends, if you went through 3 sets of ends you may have some issues else wear.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

1 ton what? the tradition steering people call 1 ton is inverted T with GM one ton ends. i hate it. the on-center steering feel absolutely sucks, and quick transitions left to right are delayed due to the geometry. i run "1 ton" crossover... with high angle 1 ton tie rod ends on my drag link and 7/8" heims on my tie rod.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ctjkelley
The set I have is using heims not tie rod ends, if you went through 3 sets of ends you may have some issues else wear.
Then that would not be 1 ton steering. My jeep has been looked at by 2 different shops the conclusion is the tre's are not ment for the high misalignment and I have tie rod roll.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wrapstar
Then that would not be 1 ton steering. My jeep has been looked at by 2 different shops the conclusion is the tre's are not ment for the high misalignment and I have tie rod roll.
There are high misalignment ends you should be using in your drag link. If you use regular ones they'll blow out quick
Old 10-12-2013, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wrapstar
Time to:
Find a new shop.
Get a better steering kit.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Im using the ones rustys says to use on there website its just a poor set-up everything in and on the axle is new from when I had it regeared. Its parked til I have time to do a true 1 ton kit and ota track bar
Old 10-12-2013, 05:22 PM

Well have came to the conclusion that a simple question asked seems to always get off track from the beginning, I suppose if I want solid information on something the modified technical forum is not the place to get it, it's always a pissing match. I simply asked the pros and cons of a 1ton steering setup, didn't really ask for my setup to be critiqued.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually this thread is on target.
You asked about Pro's and Con's of a given steering kit that you referred to as a "!-Ton" system...you were told that it is not and it was explained to you what a 1 Ton kit is.

Another member then followed with negative experience with the kit you have.

What's the problem?
Yes threads do get a little off track (sometimes a lot off track), but it seems that you're getting valuable info here.

No?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Maybe it wasn't clear enough for all to understand, I asked the pros and cons of 1 ton steering, I threw in that the rustys is what I have but nowhere in the post did I ask for feed back on rustys in particular. So to all that have posted here never mind what brand of steering I have, please overlook my ignorance as I ask for solid information!
Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Maybe it wasn't clear enough for all to understand, I asked the pros and cons of 1 ton steering, I threw in that the rustys is what I have but nowhere in the post did I ask for feed back on rustys in particular. So to all that have posted here never mind what brand of steering I have, please overlook my ignorance as I ask for solid information!
nobody's bashing you and you're decision making they're just trying to help you and your wallet out by making sure you don't need to buy two kits
Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
1 ton what? the tradition steering people call 1 ton is inverted T with GM one ton ends. i hate it. the on-center steering feel absolutely sucks, and quick transitions left to right are delayed due to the geometry. i run "1 ton" crossover... with high angle 1 ton tie rod ends on my drag link and 7/8" heims on my tie rod.

Do you have any pictures of your setup? How does it steer now?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kylar
Do you have any pictures of your setup? How does it steer now?
you cant do it on a 30 without swapping knuckles... you should swap to WJ ones anyway for bigger brakes.

this pic is with the old TREs on the draglink... the new high misalignment ones are MUCH longer

1Ton steering setup-v9pcniw.jpg

the thing steers great, awesome feedback. it also helps to have the PSC assist with a slightly faster than stock delphi box. i have a bit of bumpsteer bc my trackbar is so short but whatev.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you already have it and don't even want to sell it to get a different setup, why are you even asking this question? Seems kind of silly to ask after you already bought a steering set up, no?

Quick Reply: 1Ton steering setup