Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 XJ suspension/cooling plan of action need thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1998 XJ suspension/cooling plan of action need thoughts

I posted earlier with a question about my tranny since my reverse went out. Do not want to double post so you can see that here

I have a 2 stage plan to upgrade my 1998 XJ and wanted to know what you guys thought or if I am missing any important pieces along the way.

The 2nd stage which I will not do till later is a engine swap for the 4.6 from Golden Service

Leading up until that point I HAVE to replace my tranny as stated above and plan on a lift tires and a cooling system upgrade to deal with some overheating issues and a new computer.

I was thinking about going with the Zone Off Road 4.5 lift its only $500 and read some good things in this forum. Any other thoughts on this route? Being that the Jeep is in a country with not many parts easily accessible want this to be a reliable Jeep so please let me know if I am stepping in the wrong direction here. When doing this lift are there any other parts I should replace while my shop has the thing apart?

Once this upgrade is complete what size tires you think I could get on the XJ? Any recommendations?

As for the cooling system have not found much info on recommended ready made kits for the XJ but have been considering something along the line of THIS UPGRADE any other recommendations or options I should think of before going this route?

As far as the computer goes my jeep shop in Panama says it needs replaced and is causing some reving issues with the Jeep. Before paying to buy a new computer are there aftermarket ones I should look at? With the engine coming sometime in the future should I just wait or is there a computer I can get that will work with the future engine upgrade?

Thanks for any and all help, thoughts or advice on this project which is a bit overwhelming for me at this point but hopefully good research will help me get through it.