Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 XJ Lift in Progress, Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default 1993 XJ Lift in Progress, Need help!!

Started the install of putting a RE 3.5 inch super ride lift kit into my 93 XJ. I started by doing the rear lift first, and I'm having trouble getting the leaf springs to line up. First I tried by putting the spring on the pad and bolting it to the shackle end, wouldn't line up with the frame end. Then just now tried bolting the frame end first then the shackle end and raising the axle to the leaf, but now the center pin won't line up with the axle.

This is my first lift and I can't figure out how to get the leaf to go in. Would really appreciate help as I need my XJ for work tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

You can use a rachet strap to pull the axle which ever way you need to go to line up the center pin. Bleepin Jeep had to on his youtube video for the rear bastard pack. You might check it out.

Happy Jeepin'
Old 04-30-2017, 03:48 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

I have the same lift and I bolted the leaf springs to the body first, then shimmied the axle on a jack stand to get it lined up. Granted that made my shackle angle pretty bad
Old 04-30-2017, 06:09 PM

I tried again and messed around by bolting the spring in different places, even tried with the u bolts. No luck. I bolted the leaf to the frame and the pin was far forward from the pin, then bolted it to the shackle. Lifted the axle to the spring and supported it with a jack stand, then lifted the spring to flatten it still no luck. I looked at the spring and it doesn't​ seem to be straight? Center pin of leaf pack is far forward from center of spring pad.

Spring doesn't seem to be straight and is sitting to the right of the pad?

Last edited by Bigthoven370; 04-30-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:57 PM

Year: 1996 Heep XJ Country
Engine: 4.0

When I did my lift the rear springs had 2 diff sized eyes, and an angle shim bolted to the bottom. The pin isn't dead center of the Leaf pack.Make sure the thick part of the shim faces the rear of the Jeep if you have them. On mine the larger diameter spring eye went to the frame and the smaller to the shackle.
Keep wrestling with and it will go. Keep the front frame and rear shackle bolts loose until you get the ubolts on and the pins in the axle plates.
Good luck.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Force
When I did my lift the rear springs had 2 diff sized eyes, and an angle shim bolted to the bottom. The pin isn't dead center of the Leaf pack.Make sure the thick part of the shim faces the rear of the Jeep if you have them. On mine the larger diameter spring eye went to the frame and the smaller to the shackle.
Keep wrestling with and it will go. Keep the front frame and rear shackle bolts loose until you get the ubolts on and the pins in the axle plates.
Good luck.
Hey fellow Montanan! No shims on my leafs. Same for the eyes on mine, big eye on the frame and the smaller on the shackle. I gave up on the lift spring and put the stock spring in so I can go to work tomorrow. But even the stock spring won't go in all the way. It's mounted to the shackle and the ubolts are on but it wont line up with the frame. Tried straightening out the spring by lifting it but no luck. No idea what to do now.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Put xj on jack stands. Unbolt rear drive shaft. Rear axle goes on floor jack. Roll axle where needed.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bigthoven370
Hey fellow Montanan! No shims on my leafs. Same for the eyes on mine, big eye on the frame and the smaller on the shackle. I gave up on the lift spring and put the stock spring in so I can go to work tomorrow. But even the stock spring won't go in all the way. It's mounted to the shackle and the ubolts are on but it wont line up with the frame. Tried straightening out the spring by lifting it but no luck. No idea what to do now.
Are you trying to do the springs one at a time, with a stock spring still on the Jeep? You need to do like freegdr stated. Rear of XJ frame on jack stands.( just to the front of where the leaf bolts to the frame) Jack under the rear diff. Tires/ wheels off, both sides! Make sure the jack stands are under the Heep good. Hammering, prying and come a longing might be required!
Remove both old leaf springs and install both new ones.
Keep leaf spring bolts loose. You may have to clean out the pin hole in the leaf perch on the axle a bit. Mine was pretty tight. Run a dremel with a carbide bit or whatever around the inside of the hole to clean it out. Clean the paint off the pin on the leaf. I had to use a sledge to get mine setting on the pin right. Once you get one side U-bolted up semi snug, go to the other side. Use a come along or ratchet strap to pull the leaf into position. Same thing on the pin and pin hole. Clean them up. Bolt everything up!
If all else fails you can drive it down to the Bitterroot and I'll help ya get them on! Message me if you need help.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:58 PM

Are you trying to do the springs one at a time, with a stock spring still on the Jeep? You need to do like freegdr stated. Rear of XJ frame on jack stands.( just to the front of where the leaf bolts to the frame) Jack under the rear diff. Tires/ wheels off, both sides! Make sure the jack stands are under the Heep good. Hammering, prying and come a longing might be required!
Remove both old leaf springs and install both new ones.
Keep leaf spring bolts loose. You may have to clean out the pin hole in the leaf perch on the axle a bit. Mine was pretty tight. Run a dremel with a carbide bit or whatever around the inside of the hole to clean it out. Clean the paint off the pin on the leaf. I had to use a sledge to get mine setting on the pin right. Once you get one side U-bolted up semi snug, go to the other side. Use a come along or ratchet strap to pull the leaf into position. Same thing on the pin and pin hole. Clean them up. Bolt everything up!
If all else fails you can drive it down to the Bitterroot and I'll help ya get them on! Message me if you need help.
Yeah was trying to do one side at a time to somewhat keep alignment in the rear. Sounds like taken both sides off and unbolting the driveshaft while having the pumpkin on the jack will be a lot easier. Will have to give that a shot after work. And if all else fails might have to head down your way. I'll let ya know Force!
Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

When I did mine, I did it in a way like Force said. Old leafs off first. I left the driveshaft connected to help keep the pinion in the right position (SYE probably made this possible). Bolt new leafs to the body. Then bolt both leafs to the axle (not a fun task to get those pins in the hole). Leave the U bolts a little loose. Install shackles on the leafs. Then jack the entire rear end up and bolt the shackles to the body. Leave everything loose until its back on the ground. Then tighten everything up.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 PM

Default Thanks guys, that helped a lot!

Did as you guys said and that made it so much easier! Dropped the diff onto a floor jack to move it around and bolted each side at the same time. Also cleaned out the hole in the spring pad and the springs slide in like butter! Now just gotta put the shocks on and the rear will be done! But these damn bar pins are kicking my ***...
Old 05-02-2017, 08:18 PM

Did as you guys said and that made it so much easier! Dropped the diff onto a floor jack to move it around and bolted each side at the same time. Also cleaned out the hole in the spring pad and the springs slide in like butter! Now just gotta put the shocks on and the rear will be done! But these damn bar pins are kicking my ***...
Congrats !
Are you trying to get the bar pins into the shock eye? I ditched mine and used the rear sway bar brackets to make bar pin eliminators. Bleepnjeep has video on how to do it.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:22 PM

Congrats !
Are you trying to get the bar pins into the shock eye? I ditched mine and used the rear sway bar brackets to make bar pin eliminators. Bleepnjeep has video on how to do it.
I am trying to get them in and I've seen that video and have heard to use those. But at the same time I've heard to not use those haha. I've gotten one in so far so might just use them.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 PM

I am trying to get them in and I've seen that video and have heard to use those. But at the same time I've heard to not use those haha. I've gotten one in so far so might just use them.
lube them up a bit and put in a vise with a socket over one end big enough for the bar pin to fit in. The vise will mash the pin through and into the socket.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 PM

lube them up a bit and put in a vise with a socket over one end big enough for the bar pin to fit in. The vise will mash the pin through and into the socket.
Thats exactly how I'm doing and I'm using dish soap as lube! The rear shocks are done, time to do the front for when I tackle the front suspension.