Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

which xj to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default which xj to buy?

i'm in the market for an xj. i previously owned a tj which i loved, but with the expanding family, i'd like a bit more room.

my ultimate plans would be to mildly lift the xj so that it looks good, but still makes a good daily driver and can tow a small boat.

so what years/models should i look for, or stear clear of?
is there a buying guide out there already?
what are some of the more model-specific issues that i should check for in a pre-sales inspection?

thanks!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

2000-2001 xjs have a flawed head that cracks on maybe 10% of them. I have a 2000 and so far no problems with the head. Cherokees seem to have various electric issues i.e. speaker wires failing in the door boot but most are easy to repair.
I have the np242 (Selec-Trac) transfer case which allows me to use 4X4 on roads anytime where the Command-Trac can only be used off road (or snow/ice covered roads).
Rear springs are alittle weak on the stock xjs so expect to replace the rear springs if you're going to tow a boat.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Year: 1998

I'd go with 96-99.
OBDII
No coil packs
(top of my list at least)

Checking out a potential jeep is the same as looking at a used tj
Hoses
belts
drive shaft/axles
electrical grounds
any mods the P/O did that are half a$$ed
Make sure it starts on the first crank (check valve issues)
If it's lifted drive it and make sure the kit was installed right (god knows its your families safety)
Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

[QUOTE=adkodak;938322]If it's lifted drive it and make sure the kit was installed right (god knows its your families safety)[/QUOTE]

X2... Take it to a reputable alignment shop have them look at it. Definately drive it on the highway, to make sure there is no Death Wobble.
As for year range I say 97-99, just because the interior is nicer.
If your gonna tow with it be certain to look in the radiator, with hot weather coming up soon youre gonna want the cooling system in tip top shape, also dont just check the oil on the dipstick pull the oil cap (especially 2000-2001) make sure there its not milky looking. While test driving it, stop by an autozone or other big box parts store have them scan it even with no check engine light there still may be stored codes (96+). Good Luck.

Last edited by fishtaconc; 04-01-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:58 PM

got my eye on a nice looking 99 sport. any suggestions on how to tell during a test drive if if the tranny is in good shape? never owned a slushbox before so i'm not sure what to look for.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by knotcher
i'm in the market for an xj. i previously owned a tj which i loved, but with the expanding family, i'd like a bit more room.

my ultimate plans would be to mildly lift the xj so that it looks good, but still makes a good daily driver and can tow a small boat.

so what years/models should i look for, or stear clear of?
is there a buying guide out there already?
what are some of the more model-specific issues that i should check for in a pre-sales inspection?

thanks!
the 99 is a good year. (i wonder if im biased cause i own a 99?? ) either way, 97-99 was quailty. every now and then you can find one with the up country, or off road package. they had beefier leafs, good for towing. but more likely than not, you will be doing something w/ the sus (lift kit, etc.) that will make it so the up country pakage doesnt matter.
things to check: get under neath and twist the drive shafts to see if there is play. they shouldnt move at all. if there is any clunking or poping when turning or going over bumps, that is a sign that things like u joints, bushings, TR, TRE, or control arms are damaged. doing a visual inspection is good, but get it on a lift and let a mechanic look at it. a good shop will do all this for free. checking fluids is good. if there are metal shavings floating in the TC then your in for some issues.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

the tranny is only part of the jeeps drivetrain! you gotta check it head to toe to know for sure, and even then there are things that can slip past us. be observant and methodical. other stuff to check for the 99 xj sport:
-try the windows and door locks from all doors
-basically flip every switch and turn every ****. its the only way to know there isnt a short.
-make sure the heat controls are good
-try using the hazards
-open all doors
-as for engine stuff, these model jeeps have one badass engine in them. they are about as reliable as can be. BUT! thats not the case for some of the components in there. pull the wires off the plugs to check for quality, look into the manifold by removing the intake tube. once again a good shop should check all this stuff.
-vacuum leaks are all to common. while driving, try putting to air flow to the floor on any speed and then accelerate hard. see if the air flow switches to the defrost vents, then back to the floor when you let off the gas. if the flow changes, then there is a vac leak somewhere. usuing a fogger machine, a shop will know in about 45 min. where the leak is.
other things on the throttle body like the TPS and IAC vlave dont usually last too long. they are cheap fixes, so its really no worry if they are bad. it would be hard to tell, too... ok, thas all i got for now...
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 PM

ok, i picked up a 98 sport today. 208k on the clock but it was really well cared for. paint is good, engine is good, no leaks and it's pretty clean. all electronics work, 4x4 works good, new tires...got it for $2400. only issue is the A/C doesn't work. guy said it worked the day before but for some reason when i drove it, it didnt' work. the compressor isn't kicking on at all. we checked the fuse and it's not blown, so i'm not sure what's up. hopefully it's a quick fix.