Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will my jeep make the drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Will my jeep make the drive?

I recently put in a brand new battery for my 98 jeep Cherokee because I was having issues with it not wanting to start right away. Well the old battery was just about dead, so that partially fixed the problem, but it still won't start right away. It takes 2-3 tries to get it to start up. I think it could be the fuel pump or starter that is acting up that's still causing the issue. I have to drive from Aztec, NM to Salt Lake City, UT in a couple of days, which is about an 7-8 hour drive. I don't have time to get it looked at or fixed before I leave. Will it be ok driving the drive there & back? Or am I looking at possibly breaking down?
Old 03-20-2016, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I've had 4 fuel pumps, always a starting problem but never had a problem while driving. I've replaced my starter. Always a starting problem and never a running problem. I wouldn't really worry at all about a fuel pump it's probably just the valve on it letting fuel drain back down. If the starter does die it took me 30 minutes In an oreillys parking lot never done one before just guessing. I personally would drive it on the trip. I take my jeep on long trips and have taken some trips with a bad fuel pump and one with a bad starter (why I was doing it in the parking lot). I wouldn't worry just bring a couple tools in case your starter goes out. Also it only takes the shop 2ish hours to do my fuel pumps. Get a free one every time with my lifetime warranty.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:05 PM

Year: 1997
Red face

Mine does the same thing and I was told it may be an injector, to make it so you don't have to crank for a long time try turning the key to on so the dash lights up, wait a few seconds the turn it off, do the same but after the few seconds are up try to start it. I have never had a long crank problem since I've been doing that.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:13 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

If you're that worried about it, probably better to rent a car...

Things have a way of breaking at the most inopportune moment.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Richard Wynne
Or am I looking at possibly breaking down?
My money is on this, book a flight.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Id rent a car to keep the miles off my jeep,And worse case anything happens the rental place will bring you another car fast.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:22 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Sounds to me like, if you take the Jeep, you're saving a seat for Murphy to come with you. I'd leave it at home just to be safe.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Sounds like a bad check valve on the fuel pump allowing fuel to drain out of the fuel line back into the gas tank, as SatiricalHen said. I had the same thing. Had to do the traditional double start EVERY time. (This is actually a pretty common problem on XJ's)

I doubt it is an injector issue, as then you would have issues driving it (i.e. poor acceleration, loss of power, etc). Also doesn't sound like a starter. Typically, when a starter goes, it goes, you get the click of the solenoid closing, and then nothing. If a starter doesn't have it to turn the engine over on the first go, it doesn't have it on the second or third, either.

Quick check would be to get some starter fluid, open up your air intake at the throttle body and spray some in, and then try and start. If it starts right up, you are looking at a fuel delivery issue. If it then continues to run just fine, you are looking at a bad check valve, as above. IF that is the case, just replace the whole pump (Bosch makes a good one, you can get it on Amazon) as it will cost almost as much as replacing the check valve and be a LOT easier!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:21 AM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by thebyus
Sounds like a bad check valve on the fuel pump allowing fuel to drain out of the fuel line back into the gas tank, as SatiricalHen said. I had the same thing. Had to do the traditional double start EVERY time. (This is actually a pretty common problem on XJ's)

I doubt it is an injector issue, as then you would have issues driving it (i.e. poor acceleration, loss of power, etc). Also doesn't sound like a starter. Typically, when a starter goes, it goes, you get the click of the solenoid closing, and then nothing. If a starter doesn't have it to turn the engine over on the first go, it doesn't have it on the second or third, either.

Quick check would be to get some starter fluid, open up your air intake at the throttle body and spray some in, and then try and start. If it starts right up, you are looking at a fuel delivery issue. If it then continues to run just fine, you are looking at a bad check valve, as above. IF that is the case, just replace the whole pump (Bosch makes a good one, you can get it on Amazon) as it will cost almost as much as replacing the check valve and be a LOT easier!
This makes more sense, I was told that it was an injector and the double start "fixed" the problem and I just have not had the time to look at it. This is where I will start and thank you for posting this.