XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New XJ, need tips to start build!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New XJ, need tips to start build!?

Hey guys, I am right on the verge of buying an XJ to replace my '97 Grand Cherokee. As soon as I purchase the vehicle I would like to lift it 3", get new all terrain tires, get a nice new exhaust system and maybe put some LED headlights in. Any suggestions on which order to do this and also which products to buy? Or even what else to do to my XJ! Let me know!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to CF. The order should be of importance to you, obviously lift and tires should be done around the same time. LED headlights are usually advised against since there isn't a proper cutoff and it blinds oncoming drivers, look into an upgraded headlight harness and better lights instead, maybe add additional lighting as needed. "Nice" exhaust is relative to what ones opinion is, there is an entire thread dedicated to sound clips. The lift itself...there are complete kits, or you can piece one together. There are good components and great components, and then there are the ones that cost the least for a reason. Do research, there are entire threads dedicated to that as well.

Bottom line, do your own research. Not because I don't want to be bothered by giving specific advise, but because if you ask specifics from 100 members you are likely to receive 100 conflicting opinions.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

If I may, first off spend the money to do a full tune-up, change "ALL" fluids from front to rear, check the steering for any worn parts (lift will increase these really bad) then replace the entire cooling sys radiator, water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, flush cooling sys & heater core. Then check the brakes and replace the fluid.

That should take care of about $4-600 depending on what all problems you find and if you can do all the work yourself.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
If I may, first off spend the money to do a full tune-up, change "ALL" fluids from front to rear, check the steering for any worn parts (lift will increase these really bad) then replace the entire cooling sys radiator, water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, flush cooling sys & heater core. Then check the brakes and replace the fluid. That should take care of about $4-600 depending on what all problems you find and if you can do all the work yourself.
X2 Good advice right there.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

+3. That really should be common sense, but that does seem to be lacking these days.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
If I may, first off spend the money to do a full tune-up, change "ALL" fluids from front to rear, check the steering for any worn parts (lift will increase these really bad) then replace the entire cooling sys radiator, water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, flush cooling sys & heater core. Then check the brakes and replace the fluid.

That should take care of about $4-600 depending on what all problems you find and if you can do all the work yourself.
bingo.. make sure its safe and reliable before any lifts
Old 03-23-2016, 06:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by jay_sco
Welcome to CF. The order should be of importance to you, obviously lift and tires should be done around the same time. LED headlights are usually advised against since there isn't a proper cutoff and it blinds oncoming drivers, look into an upgraded headlight harness and better lights instead, maybe add additional lighting as needed. "Nice" exhaust is relative to what ones opinion is, there is an entire thread dedicated to sound clips. The lift itself...there are complete kits, or you can piece one together. There are good components and great components, and then there are the ones that cost the least for a reason. Do research, there are entire threads dedicated to that as well. Bottom line, do your own research. Not because I don't want to be bothered by giving specific advise, but because if you ask specifics from 100 members you are likely to receive 100 conflicting opinions.
I'm sorry but here's some conflict of fact not opinion. Led head lights can blind people if you buy cheap ones which are basically light bars in the shape of head lights, buy drop in bulbs (usually don't last anyway) and put them in cheap housings, or just make some kind of LED "headlight" from light bars or pods. If you spend the money you can get quality led headlights that won't blind people. My personal favorite (I love mine and would recommend them to anyone) is the truck lite led head lights. GE sells some called nighthawks which look like knock off truck lights, jw speakers sells some also. Point is don't cheap out because you'll blind people. But before all this I have to agree with the fluid and maintenance first.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Full up keep and detailing inside and out would be first for me.Then i would save up buy a 3 inch lift and maybe 31s and armor.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Swing by here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/helpful-links-10052/

IN a nutshell:

1. Full tune up and fluids change
2. Cooling system replacement/flush (no questions asked, just do it and save yourself headaches later)
3.Putco Headlight harness and H4 bulbs
4. If you have the Cash, have your local exhaust shop fab you up a 2.25 to 2.5 header back exhaust. Mine ran me $400 installed with Tax.
5. 703 or 784 injector upgrade
6. 3.5" lift of your choice and u-joint changes
7. 31" tires
8. the list continues from here