Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: INLINE 6, safari snorkel, kn airfilter, flowmaster 10 series exaust
Default Why jeep makes 2wd.....

If you didn't know, Jeep makes 2wd vehicles, yes wranglers too. When our most infamous vehicle is missing something(a pumpkin, xfer case, d/s and such), we all take notice of the big change. 2007 was the year the first 2wd wrangler came out to meet the needs of us Americans. Even land rover is now selling 2wd vehicles(nor are they selling the defender here either). But look at it from this perspective...... Car company's are having a tough time..... To keep the jeep name/brand alive, they have to adapt to what people want and need......we wanted a jeep with 44s front and rear, with selectable lockers, a low range transfer case, and a six speed......the rubicon was born. Today people need more than 20 mpg(4x4 don't get that), want it to be cheap(4x4 on average costs 4000 more), and they want the jeep name, but not the price..........in the end, these 2wd vehicles jeep is producing(yes it does weaken the brand in my mind) are saving the company in hard times. Would you rather 2wd versions come out of wranglers, or Jeep not exist? debate....

inscribed via iPhone4 on xjForum using the swaybars that aren't on my Jeep
Old 06-19-2011, 02:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I vote on the 2wd modles but I would never own one
Old 06-19-2011, 03:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SHANE 87
I vote on the 2wd modles but I would never own one
Agreed.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 cyl.

Yeah. Right now I own a Dodge pick up. It' the first two wheel drive I've ever had and it's the first automatic transmission I've ever had. MISTAKE! Never again. On either count. Just don't care for them. Oh man, I wish my XJ would hurry ip and get here!!!

At least Jeep is offering manual transmission. My buddy tried to order a new Chevy truck. He wanted a single rear wheeled one ton, 4WD, with a 4.11 ratio. He was told that manual transmissions are not available, and you can only get 3.73 ratios in a heavy GM truck. So, he's rebuilding his old one.

At least jeep is trying to offer what people actually want.

"There's no such thing as too much overkill!"
Old 06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

It's a lot to do with what part of the country you are in. A state that has a lot of snow will sell more 4 wheel drive vehicles as compared to a sunny state. The sunny state won't need the 4 wheel drive as much compared to the 2 wheel drive. It's all about location
Old 06-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dogger15
It's a lot to do with what part of the country you are in. A state that has a lot of snow will sell more 4 wheel drive vehicles as compared to a sunny state. The sunny state won't need the 4 wheel drive as much compared to the 2 wheel drive. It's all about location
True about location, that's why Colorado is the largest seller of Subaru.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 l 6

i would rather have them make 2wd and the name still be out there, but to be honest the only new jeep product i would ever buy would be a rubicon
Old 06-19-2011, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

And it has alot to do with the cost of the vehicles too, People like to buy nice vehicles that are cheap. My 95 XJ was 2wd when i bought it because it was cheap and rust free.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Seasoned Member

I would buy the new grand..... For my wife or as my highway vehicle, but for me the jeep I would have is the rubi only

Old 06-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Registered Users

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

Pimp'n aint easy, Jeep wants the Hummer chrome market so allowing a 2wd wrangler model for those looking to roll decked in chrome sitting 26+ inch rims. Thats what that market is looking for and they got it from the wrangler up to 2010.. Jeep in 2011 did not offer the JK in 2wd, thank god they learned the error of there ways. 2012 will not see a 2wd model offered as well, so I understand.
Other jeeps over the years and we come across them all the time were offered in 2wd which was picked up to be pimped out especially as disgusting as it is, the grand cherokee's and XJ's.. Although I've seen far more GC's then XJ's rolling on stupidly large rims ready to traverse the inner city jungle...
4wd model Jeeps have not been imune to the chrome/large rim modifications either.. The best hope we have for them is that they are mechanically treated well, so when they are sold they can go to a good home that will treat the Jeep the way it was intended to be.. Not to live there life out in
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/tragedy-97969.html
Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I see nothing wrong with 2wd offerings, some people do not have the need or the want for 4wd. I live in MN with the snow and severe winters and the only 4x4 I own is a trailer queen trail rig. My tow rig is 2wd, my wrecker is 2wd and my daily driver Colorado is a 2wd. If I lived in the Colorado or Montana mountains I would probably want it but see no need for it on flat ground states like this.