XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

where have you been stranded

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where have you been stranded

So far I've owned my xj for 2 months and so far I've had to make the call for a tow truck twice once when my ac pulley froze up on a late night run and today when my starter took a crap on my morning run to dunkin donuts in royal oak Michigan so i was wondering were have y'all been left on the side of the road
Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

my jeep has never left me on the side of the road. Though I did have to come get it one day when the fuel pump quit working in the parking lot where my wife works... turned out just to be a wire going into the pump.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
my jeep has never left me on the side of the road. Though I did have to come get it one day when the fuel pump quit working in the parking lot where my wife works... turned out just to be a wire going into the pump.
The electrical on my xj is a whole nother story but its what i get for buying one with 230k on it but i just ordered a bunch of parts from rustys to help with my death wobble
Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Rusty's steering components? Ruh Roh Reorge
Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Alternator died on the way home from mudding, 80 bucks for the tow back home, 10 bucks for new alternator brushes. On three occasions my remote unlock quit working (and all my lock cylinders are jammed) first/second time it started working after 30 minutes of messing with it. Third time I walked home, got my dad to drive me back to it after putting new batteries in it and it opened. That was like 3 weeks ago, so we'll see if the new batteries help lol.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Ive never had an XJ leave me stranded, per say, just delayed. Once when the CPS was acting up I had to wait for the motor to cool down so it wouldnt die at stop signs in the town i was trying to leave. Another time the front double cardigan joint went out in the middle of Ohio. Another time, my brake master went out near the top of the mountain but i was able to downshift and use the e brake to get my home at the bottom of the mountain. I have 225K miles but the only part of the vehicle I havent touched was the short block.

I stopped driving my 96 with 180K before it really started having problems from living in MI, that thing was a pile. It was fully loaded and the electronics had a mind of its own. The best was when the ignition module started sparking while driving and friends said all my lights were turning on and off randomly until it finally died. I thought it was going to burn to the ground but it started right back up.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4 liter

lets see here when I was out playin in the mud this spring had the alternator and battery die also ripped the brake line off the passenger front wheel and then another time I also had a water pump die on me out 4xin.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
Rusty's steering components? Ruh Roh Reorge
Is rustys bad? Im new to the jeep scene and they had all the parts i wanted to replace i don't have plans on going seriously offroad should i be worried?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:04 PM

I bought and adjustable track bar, and the dual stabilizer kit
Old 12-12-2011, 03:25 PM

Engine: 4.0

I was stuck up on a trail (blanca peak trail CO) on Jaws 2 when I tore my right front steering knuckle completely off of my axle after a gnarly wheelstand... blew out the brake lines snaped my axle shaft into 3 pieces and destroyed my draglink. Even at that my jeep after some creative thinking not only made it down the trail but limped the 14+ miles into Alamosa where I spent the next 9 hours of my night pressing in new Ball joints and replacing the brake lines etc etc etc. Then made the trip back to new mexico (180 mile trip) home. Never ever had a jeep leave me stranded.
Rolled my 94 3 times and then drove it 5 miles into the oncomming town to call home and have my father inlaw meet me with a trailer. Drove it up on the trailer and took it home. I <3 JEEPS!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96

Originally Posted by TheJerm
Ive never had an XJ leave me stranded, per say, just delayed.
Same here, although I'm sure the time is coming. I've driven it home with some scary riggings though.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by urbanjeeper
Is rustys bad? Im new to the jeep scene and they had all the parts i wanted to replace i don't have plans on going seriously offroad should i be worried?
ANYTHING .. and I want to stress ANYTHING aftermarket you bolt onto your steering is going to be better than the stock garbage. Rustys just has a known "dead spot" in there steering setups that people complain about. other than that rustys will endure far more than the stock units.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:30 PM

So far I've owned my xj for 2 months and so far I've had to make the call for a tow truck twice once when my ac pulley froze up on a late night run and today when my starter took a crap on my morning run to dunkin donuts in royal oak Michigan so i was wondering were have y'all been left on the side of the road
Never been stranded in my xj....but I also take care of my jeep an maintain it....if u took care of your jeep.....you wouldn't be callin a tow truck....an when u buy a jeep....go through it an make sure the previous owner took care of it as well
Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/br...-parts-108883/
Old 12-12-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by jeepcherokee1998

Never been stranded in my xj....but I also take care of my jeep an maintain it....if u took care of your jeep.....you wouldn't be callin a tow truck....an when u buy a jeep....go through it an make sure the previous owner took care of it as well
Yea well I've had it just over a.month and I've been fixing it as it goes i work fulltime and am a fulltime student it maybe towed off the side of the road but it'll never go to a shop Im the only whose gonna turn a wrench on it and whether the bum Who had it before me knew what he was doing or not Im sure ill be the one making it right

Quick Reply: where have you been stranded