What to replace in Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
Default What to replace in Engine?

so in about month i should have my engine open because i will be replacing my head gasket, I am already replacing the header with an APN one and getting a whole new exhaust which will be 2.5", i am also replacing the rear main seal at the same time because the oil will be drained and coolant lines because they are old and filled with junk. My question is what else should i replace in my engine or what should be replaced when i have it open and oil and coolant drained. I believe i have a lifter tick but it could be from my exhaust manifold I'm not sure. Any suggestions for my old 98 with 155k miles would be helpful.

*note i recently replaced the spark plugs also
i have seen stuff like fuel injectors and throttle body spacers but i would like opinions for my situation from people other than myself

Last edited by xjboy14; 06-20-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:56 PM
AoA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.2L bored out 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by xjboy14
so in about month i should have my engine open because i will be replacing my head gasket, I am already replacing the header with an APN one and getting a whole new exhaust which will be 2.5", i am also replacing the rear main seal at the same time because the oil will be drained and coolant lines because they are old and filled with junk. My question is what else should i replace in my engine or what should be replaced when i have it open and oil and coolant drained. I believe i have a lifter tick but it could be from my exhaust manifold I'm not sure. Any suggestions for my old 98 with 155k miles would be helpful.

*note i recently replaced the spark plugs also
i have seen stuff like fuel injectors and throttle body spacers but i would like opinions for my situation from people other than myself
Well, might as well drop a mild cam in since you have it all out already

I'll include some links to some cam kits for ya
Mild - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-sk68-231-4
lil lopey - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k68-235-4
lumpity lumpity McLope - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k68-239-4

Last edited by AoA; 06-21-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Lifters, pushrods, valve springs, valves if they're crappy or burnt, rockers if they're worn. FUel injectors you can do whenever. Since you have a 1998 look on here for the Neon 703 injector upgrade.

Don't waste time even thinking about a TB spacer
Old 06-21-2013, 12:37 AM

Year: 2001

I'd go ahead and do your whole cooling system. Most of the time a head gasket comes from overheating. Besides, if your cooling system is full of junk, it'd be good to do some preventative maintenance and also flush the system. Just my $0.02
Old 06-21-2013, 01:07 AM

Year: 1998 and 1988
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by AoA

I like this idea. Head is off anyway and a good torque cam can even improve your gas mileage while giving you more power.
Other than that, Im a huge fan of synthetic everything, oil, oil filter, air filter.
(if you put a new cam, make sure you get some brake in oil) Amsoil.com has all those goodies. Mine didn't make it to 513000km for nothing.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Timing chain and sprockets, front crank seal, oil filter adaptor orings, water pump, freeze plugs. If you're feeling up to it, replace the crank and rod bearings since you'll have the pan off.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by AoA

Those cams are nice, but only for 88' and below. Don't know how well a 98' computer will like dealing with them?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by AoA

BEST cam descriptions ive ever read! "lumpity lumpity McLope...." BAHAHAHA
Old 06-21-2013, 11:46 AM
AoA

Originally Posted by bulrid8
Those cams are nice, but only for 88' and below. Don't know how well a 98' computer will like dealing with them?
I honestly don't know why Summit has them only listed for old engines when i've seen them in many new 94, 97, and 00 4.0L. I'm also pretty sure the cam in any year 4.0L is the same regardless.

Originally Posted by stock95sport(for now)
BEST cam descriptions ive ever read! "lumpity lumpity McLope...." BAHAHAHA
lmao! yea! This is why,
Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM

So im seeing Lifters, pushrods, valve springs, rockers, fuel injectors, Timing chain, sprockets, front crank seal, oil filter adaptor orings, water pump, freeze plugs, and cams,

If I'm not mistaking the cam kit comes with cams, lifters, valve springs and the timing chain and sprockets.
How much improvement would I see from this kit and would it effect my mpg at all?
My main factor is my budget because I am almost 18 with a part time job but i got $230 in my last pay check with 5 or 6 days and my next check will have 7 days and im getting more and more days every week till august. I also have to get my jeep inspected in august so i have to throw some money into rust repair (rockers) and i must have my engine done by mid august.
Thanks for the suggestions and if anybody has some links to some nice parts of whats listed that would be helpful
Old 06-21-2013, 01:13 PM
AoA

Originally Posted by xjboy14
So im seeing Lifters, pushrods, valve springs, rockers, fuel injectors, Timing chain, sprockets, front crank seal, oil filter adaptor orings, water pump, freeze plugs, and cams,

If I'm not mistaking the cam kit comes with cams, lifters, valve springs and the timing chain and sprockets.
How much improvement would I see from this kit and would it effect my mpg at all?
My main factor is my budget because I am almost 18 with a part time job but i got $230 in my last pay check with 5 or 6 days and my next check will have 7 days and im getting more and more days every week till august. I also have to get my jeep inspected in august so i have to throw some money into rust repair (rockers) and i must have my engine done by mid august.
Thanks for the suggestions and if anybody has some links to some nice parts of whats listed that would be helpful
An entire engine rebuild in less then 2 months will be a difficult one. You'll need the neon injectors to compensate a little for the bigger cam, and pushrods to complete the upper end rebuild. besides that and a gasket kit(Gasket set) is basically the minimum for the rebuild. Anything else is a plus.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

Depends on the money you are going to spend. But if you decide to just replace head gasket and keep it stock for the love of all holy take it to a shop and have the head checked. You are proly replacing head gasket for a reason. and it proly got hot. your head is most likley going to be warped some. feel good about it and speed the little money to have it checked out. good shop will tell you if you need seals. if your going to spend some money port and polish that head and be done.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM

im replacing the head gasket because everytime i flush the coolant it comes up sludgy and looks like a rusty color which i also wasnt sure if that could be because of my heatercore being bad or what but i have the gasket set and head bolts already and rear main seal because i know that leaks, I also am sure i have a lifter tick so replacing these and valve springs was already on my mind. My father has been telling me for some time i also need to replace my timing chain for some reason and all of this comes with the cam sets, also when i open the cap to add oil everything i can see on the inside of the valve cover just looks like its covered in gunk. Money really isnt a problem with me i just have to buy more parts every two weeks.
I do have experience with rebuilding an engine before, I built one with my dad for his 01 wrangler which is too similar to mine to compare

Last edited by xjboy14; 06-21-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 V6

Get a Clearwater head. Check compression before you throw too much at it.