Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What order do I modify?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What order do I modify?

Help! I'm new to the site, and have my first jeep project. 95 cherokee country bone stock. Im looking ro build an expidition rig for wheeling/camping/hunting in northern wyoming. Needs a new t case (chain wore a hole in housing) and a fuel pump....at least ...it hasn't run since 2007, but it was free so I couldn't beat the price. So the t case needs a slip yolk eliminator, and I need a lift and a lift means driveline and brake lines and clocking the diff and I want to run 35s so fender trimming is a must....but then I'm underpowered so I need gears or new axles and/or new motor....bumpers,winch,lights and, and.....bam it's been 5 years and 30 grand......Im a little overwhelmed looking at the project as a whole and need advice on where to start and what order to do the mods is best...thanks!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Paintedxj
Help! I'm new to the site, and have my first jeep project. 95 cherokee country bone stock. Im looking ro build an expidition rig for wheeling/camping/hunting in northern wyoming. Needs a new t case (chain wore a hole in housing) and a fuel pump....at least ...it hasn't run since 2007, but it was free so I couldn't beat the price. So the t case needs a slip yolk eliminator, and I need a lift and a lift means driveline and brake lines and clocking the diff and I want to run 35s so fender trimming is a must....but then I'm underpowered so I need gears or new axles and/or new motor....bumpers,winch,lights and, and.....bam it's been 5 years and 30 grand......Im a little overwhelmed looking at the project as a whole and need advice on where to start and what order to do the mods is best...thanks!
Get it driveable first. Then worry about mods.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:32 PM

Yeah, that's the obvious issue.....will a stock replacement 231 t case work for what I'm doing or do I need to get an HD t case.....does anyone sell one with the slip yoke eliminator already installed? I don't want to buy new parts and then buy better parts 6 months later.....obviously I'm going to be going good through the the motor and doing fluids and gaskets and spark....while I have the head off is there anothing to watch for....anything I can do that makes sense while I'm that far....ie power, air, ect. I can move my budget around a bit of I have some warning......I would like to avoid buying a lift and installing it only to not go wheeling cuz I didn't know that I needed something else..... like brake lines
Old 04-22-2017, 09:54 PM

Yeah, that's the obvious issue.....will a stock replacement 231 t case work for what I'm doing or do I need to get an HD t case.....does anyone sell one with the slip yoke eliminator already installed? I don't want to buy new parts and then buy better parts 6 months later.....obviously I'm going to be going good through the the motor and doing fluids and gaskets and spark....while I have the head off is there anothing to watch for....anything I can do that makes sense while I'm that far....ie power, air, ect. I can move my budget around a bit of I have some warning......I would like to avoid buying a lift and installing it only to not go wheeling cuz I didn't know that I needed something else..... like brake lines
In my opinion, the 242 transfer case is the heavier case. That being said if your t case is the 232 then get another one. I try to maintain the truck as it was built, adding only the things that improve it. Getting it running and driving is first. Engine wise, I would probably pull it and rebuild if it will turn over by ratchet. If it won't turn over that way then it will need to be majorly rebuilt. Getting it running and driving it is first. You will be surprised at the way it drives stock.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:04 PM

I thew some fuel in it and a battery and oil and it turns over but won't start so that's why I was thinking fuel pump....its an auto and the transmission is almost spotless and i found a receipt for a trans and install from a dealership from 2007 and plates were from 2007 so I'm thinking that it was replaced right before the t case broke...it looks like it has leaked oil in the past and with it being parked for so long I was figuring fluid, gaskets, and spark were minimum under the hood....I crawled under there and the tag on the t case says 231...is that a good?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:10 PM

I thew some fuel in it and a battery and oil and it turns over but won't start so that's why I was thinking fuel pump....its an auto and the transmission is almost spotless and i found a receipt for a trans and install from a dealership from 2007 and plates were from 2007 so I'm thinking that it was replaced right before the t case broke...it looks like it has leaked oil in the past and with it being parked for so long I was figuring fluid, gaskets, and spark were minimum under the hood....I crawled under there and the tag on the t case says 231...is that a good?
The 231 is more common than the 242 and can still be easily found in a junkyard. Does the truck have idiot lights or guages for oil & water, & battery? I would not try starting it again till you get new plugs, wires, cap & rotor. Also put a new oil filter on it.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:24 PM

It has gauges...what does that mean? Also I'm in a fairly remote area...I have called every junkyard within a days drive and haven't found a 231....so I need to order one...would it be better to get a used 231 for around 600+shipping, a new one for around 800+shipping or 242? I know you said stock before.....but since I'm stuck ordering something...?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 PM

It has gauges...what does that mean? Also I'm in a fairly remote area...I have called every junkyard within a days drive and haven't found a 231....so I need to order one...would it be better to get a used 231 for around 600+shipping, a new one for around 800+shipping or 242? I know you said stock before.....but since I'm stuck ordering something...?
I have the 242 in mine and I am finding that most of the people I talk to like the 231 better. I always prefer new or rebuilt to used. Are you good enough to rebuild one yourself? If so then get a used one and order a rebuild kit. You can find a rebuild kit for $200.00 to 275.00.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 PM

That's a great idea...I had not thought of that! Not sure if I'm quite that good yet....but that's what friends and beer is for! So what does it mean that I have gauges instead of dummy lights...why did you ask ?
Old 04-23-2017, 01:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

A 242 has dual planetary gears giving the awd option. A 231 is a lot simpler and has a better aftermarket support. I swapped mine to a 231 and am going sye next year
Old 04-25-2017, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

The 231 is fairly simple to work on. It's more of a PITA to get it out and back in than to actually rebuild it. I would suggest the purchase of a decent used one and a SYE kit. Wouldn't bother with a rebuild kit if the donor vehicle had low enough miles. These things run 300k miles, so 150k to 200k is considered low mileage.

My recommended order of work:
Get is running right.
Drive it to shake loose issues.
Then do all of following at once as they are related:
Lift, SYE, replace rear axle with 8.8 (when you weld the perches you will clock it towards the TC, regear, and get a stronger axle), regear front axle, and install bigger tires.
Install rock sliders
Install front bumper with winch
Install rear bumper with tire carrier
Install roof rack
Drive it, break it, rinse and repeat.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 PM

Hey thanks....found a 231 with 117000 on it for 500$ delivered so that's not bad....got a tune up kit coming also so have to see what else needs work.