Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What to look for in a '99 xj

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What to look for in a '99 xj

Hey guys, new forum member here checking in from Mass!

I'm planning to buy a 1999 XJ in the next few weeks, and I'd like a few pointers on what to look for.

First of all - price. I'm going to buy a stock XJ from an auto auction. I'm not at all experienced with how the auctions work so I wouldn't be comfortable doing it myself, but one of my dad's best friends owns a dealership and has the experience/connections to get a decent price. My general budget is $1500 at the auction. Is this realistic? I have more money but the cheaper I can get the car, the more I can spend on lift kit, wheels, etc.

Second of all - what to look for. Of course, we're going to check the obvious - body rust, floor panel rust, cracked radiator, etc. Anything specific to the XJ that me/my guy should check... Obviously getting 4.0L, I'd love a standard but I have a feeling those might be harder to find in good condition.

Third - I'm planning on installing a 3" lift and 31s. I don't plan on doing any extreme offroading, but I'd love to be able to take it out once in a while. Once I get the car I will start a build thread. I'm studying CS next year, and I do a lot of electrical engineering / small engine work in my spare time. Wouldn't call myself a car person, but I'm experienced enough. Plan to build a custom roof rack (haven't welded in a few years though so who knows) and installing a winch among other things. I'm a young guy on a relatively small budget, so I plan to add things as I go and see where it takes me.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:19 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

The '99 was a really good year for the xj. It didnt have the 0331 head problem of the the 00 and 01 or the trash wiring harness of 97 (like my 97). $1500 may be reasonable for your area; i live in dfw and that would be a steal for a good running and driving jeep. i paid $1800 for mine with no a/c, bald tires, and overheating probs. My was bone stock and i put a 3" lift and 30s on it.I'm happy witho it both on and off road. I do have to limit myself since i wheel with a buddy whose on 6.5" and 33s. i hope i answered some of your questions.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The price depends a lot on where you are and the mileage plus overall condition of the XJ. My very average 99 needed some repairs when I bought it and I paid $1800 for it, if that tells you anything.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:23 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

At an auto auction, you should be able to get a pretty decent cherokee for $1500. Like you said, check for rust! Being an auction setting, I don't think you can drive it first, but If you can drive it first, DRIVE IT! That's the easiest way to find problems. Check for obvious leaks. Pull the dipsticks and check for fluid colors and smells. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Dealerships are going to send cars to auction that...
1) have mileage that is too high to resell at their dealership. (It's very difficult to acquire bank financing in MA for vehicles over 100k miles, in MA they are typically sold at "buy here pay here" dealers.
2) would require too many repairs to sell, make a profit (absolute requirement), and not have complaints or lawsuits down the road.
3) are junk and they just want to liquidate them to get their money back on them.

You most likely will not find an XJ at auction that is road ready right off the auction block. You will also be battling with NH dealers who sell used cars under much weaker lemon laws as well as being able to sell them "as is" (dealers in MA can not sell "as is".

Side note, clean fluids at the auction don't mean anything. 99% of dealers will replace fluids (not necessarily filters though) so when people check them at auction they look clean. Fresh oil today at the auction doesn't mean that it had regular oil changes, it only means it recently had an oil change.

<----6+ years in MA dealerships 2+ years in NH dealers.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Also, you may find more modded vehicles than stock. Many dealers won't want to deal with mods as it limits their ability to sell you an "extended warranty". The mods also might not technically be legal which makes selling it technically impossible since it wouldn't pass a legal state inspection. If it fails an inspection, the MA lemon law says they need to fix it or buy it back.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

if you can start it, look to see how fast or slow the oil pressure rises.
if it takes a bit to rise, don't bother with it. it should get pressure pretty much instantly.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Rust
Old 10-21-2014, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely increase my maximum budget a little - I'd rather spend ~$2500 on an xj in great shape than $1500 on something that will have problems. The guy who is buying for me actually owns a dealership in NH so he may be able to get a pretty good deal.

My two major worries are rust and overheating, especially here in Massachusetts they put an insane amount of salt on the roads in the winter. I'm hoping to get the car before it gets too cold to do work outside since I don't have a garage at my house. My plan was to wire brush down any high-risk spots on the undercarriage and then coat it with either por-15 (http://www.por15.com/) or rustbullet (http://www.rustbullet.com/) - Is this worth the cost, what experience do you guys have with rustproofing?