Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default What do body miles really mean?: A philosophical first post

As the title suggests I'm interested in hearing from the community on what high/low body miles really mean to you. I'm sure everyone thinks about it a little differently but I'm new to the jeep community and am just starting to wrap my head around the important aspects of a sound older vehicle. To skip to the point... Let's take an example of an 1999 XJ that has 250k on the body. The engine and transfer case both have 120k miles on them and the transmission has 40k. Assuming the body is in great condition and previous owner has religiously replaced failing parts or kept up with recommended maintenance does 250k really mean what we picture when someone says 250k? Are there too many factors when assessing a vehicle that has many major parts replaced?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Ixnay
Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Renix

These things are very much what you see is what you get.

You can have cracking and popped spot welds on the uniframe prior to 100K. You could have massive rust issues by then too. Or it could still be fairly mint.

It will also depend on your plans for it. By 250K likely most of the suspension components will be totally thrashed, which if you're planning to lift it is no big deal.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Rust is worse than miles on most XJ bodies, the opposite on the drivetrain.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I am not afraid of high milage in most cases. I have had 2 Honda Civics that had over 300k on them and were mechanically sound. But at the same time I am a backyard mechanic that is very capable of determining whether or not a vehicle IS mechanically sound. Mileage on an engine is not exactly an accurate way to determine run time on an engine. An engine can have hundreds more hours of run time then just what the odometer can tell you that the vehicle has logged.

With that being said I wouldnt trust anybody on any kind of statement about lower mileage engines/transmissions/ect without proof. If someone dropped 3k on a Jasper engine for their vehicle and plan to use that as a sales point then there better be a receipt at least.

Same goes for "new" parts. Unless they are visibly brand new, there needs to be proof. Otherwise its just words to be taken from a person trying to sell you something.

i could go on all day lol
Old 05-19-2018, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

My 90 has 235k on the chassis. The engine has 45k on a rebuild, trans is original. Axles, suspension, and brakes all replaced 10k miles ago. It cost me a lot of time to get it to the condition it is in. The interior and body look like it has 235k on them. The wiring harness has the gremlins of a 28 year old vehicle with 235k on it. No rust in my area, so no worries there.

For my uses, not too worried about the worn items with original miles on them. I'll keep rebuilding it when it shows wear. Not a DD, so not too worried about it. It is reliable enough to hop in it tomorrow and drive 500 miles.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1994
Default Where has Jeep lived ??

If you are just talking about body fatigue ...It all depend on where the Jeep spent most of its life... I spent my early years in the Northeast. And I saw what winter and the salting of roads can do to a vehicle....
I now live in the Northwest, where we dont get much snow, and not much salt is used....
I would think a Jeep from Arizona, would have a longer life expectancy , than say a Jeep from Maine...
Old 05-19-2018, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Miles mean nothing to me. Overall condition does. My 01 with almost 220k miles is quieter (in terms of interior noises) and drives better then my 99 with 165k on it. I have replaced a ton of parts on both to make them reliable and I wouldnt hesitate to drive either of them across the US. Any Jeep you buy is going to have its own problems but as long as you fix those problems correctly, its going to be reliable. I have put near 100k miles on a couple XJs combined and have not once been left stranded.

On a side note, from living in the rust free portion of the US, I would rather buy a rust free 200k mile Jeep than a 100k mile Jeep thats rusted out.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:48 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Having just turned 64 years old, I thought this thread was about something else......
Old 05-20-2018, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Body miles

At about 450K km after 25 years of body miles, an XJ can need some attention to slightly deteriorated structural issues. Cut your way in, weld your way out.
An XJ can then be trusted for another 300k km.
Currently in for a second structural "tune up", with the Up direction being fore front, at just over $750K km.
Heading for the Million! (looks like more months to come as it is a "parts time" project)
Oh, yes, the total drive train carried the Peep all the way with only seals, bearings, and regular service. Not bad for a D35?
Attached Thumbnails What do body miles really mean?: A philosophical first post-img_1619.jpg   What do body miles really mean?: A philosophical first post-img_1618.jpg   What do body miles really mean?: A philosophical first post-img_1757.jpg   What do body miles really mean?: A philosophical first post-img_1779.jpg   What do body miles really mean?: A philosophical first post-img_1759.jpg  

What do body miles really mean?: A philosophical first post-img_1778.jpg   What do body miles really mean?: A philosophical first post-img_1787.jpg   What do body miles really mean?: A philosophical first post-peep-rf.jpg   What do body miles really mean?: A philosophical first post-peeprr.jpg   What do body miles really mean?: A philosophical first post-peep-clean.jpg