Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what is the differance between the XJ modles

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default what is the differance between the XJ modles

I am looking for an XJ and would like to know what the differance between the Xj modles are? Say between the sport, limited,country, classic and so forth. Are there any differance in the body style from modle to modle?
Is there any one modle better to have than the other? What Year has the better interiors?
Any help would be appreciated,,,,,,,,
Old 11-29-2011, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Well, as far as if one's better, that's up to you.... if you want a luxury car in jeep form you want the limited. If you are like me and believe in K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid), Then you want a sport without all the add ons. Crank windows aren't as convenient as power windows when they're working right, but are a hell of a lot more convenient than power windows that aren't working right, as well as power locks, etc... etc...

Basically the sport is the basic model, the only model more stripped down was the SE. I don't like the SE myself because there's no tach or gauges, just dummy lights. I prefer the sport, with a 5 speed, and manual everything, only option my sport has is 4x4 and heated mirrors.

Country was what they called the luxury model the years they didn't want to call it limited. That's the loaded one with the leather and the alarms, and power everything, etc... If you're into creature comforts, than these are the ones you want. To me, it's just more stuff to break... But then again, none of it is really hard to fix on a jeep so long as someone else didn't already do a hack job on it.

Not too sure exactly what the classic entails... someone else will post and explain that I'm sure.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9

Se/Base Model: Vinyl or cloth seats. More likely to find a 5 speed SE than any other trim, especially for 97-01. Power nothing, which is probably A good thing. Many were 2wd. Black plastic exterior trim in the 97-01's

Sport: More power options and more sold with cloth seats. Still some 5 speeds, although less abundant in later years. Black Plastic Trim in 97-01's, also the most abundant in the later years by far. A good base for a build up as well as a reasonably comfortable DD.

Classic: Available in 96 and again in 98-01. These had fancier paint-matching exteriors and the interiors had nicer cloth seats than the sports and the same electronic packages as the limiteds. My favorites, personally, and perhaps the most rare.

Country: From 93 or 94-97, these were the highest trim packages, with power everything, painted trim, and many had power heated leather seats. However, many did not and instead had the same nicer cloth seats as the Classics.

Limited: From 85-93ish and 98-01, these were the highest trim Jeeps. Same as countries, only it is extremely rare to find one without leather.

I love my country, but the XJ's notorious wiring issues are definitely present. They are definitely more stuff to break.

The 97-01's have cupholders! But many people don't like how the entire interior is plastic. Matter of use and personal preference.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Originally Posted by Jmb94
Sport: More power options and more sold with cloth seats. Still some 5 speeds, although less abundant in later years. Black Plastic Trim in 97-01's, also the most abundant in the later years by far. A good base for a build up as well as a reasonably comfortable DD.
More power options? I think you meant available. My 97 sport is crank windows, manual locks, 5 speed, no power anything, just heated mirrors.

I would add that there are significant changes in different years. for example the 97 was the first year of the new body style. 98 they started changing all the plugs on the sensors (same sensors though, just different plugs so they won't plug into a 97 wiring harness, and they can charge 2-4 times as much for them). 99 saw stricter emission regulations that cost them 15 hp (which they made back with the new intake, and why it is an upgrade for 98 and older). 2000 saw the low pinion front axle (less ground clearance, worse front driveshaft angle), and the 0331 head (prone to cracking).
Old 11-30-2011, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
More power options? I think you meant available. My 97 sport is crank windows, manual locks, 5 speed, no power anything, just heated mirrors.

I would add that there are significant changes in different years. for example the 97 was the first year of the new body style. 98 they started changing all the plugs on the sensors (same sensors though, just different plugs so they won't plug into a 97 wiring harness, and they can charge 2-4 times as much for them). 99 saw stricter emission regulations that cost them 15 hp (which they made back with the new intake, and why it is an upgrade for 98 and older). 2000 saw the low pinion front axle (less ground clearance, worse front driveshaft angle), and the 0331 head (prone to cracking).
Not quite so sure about that, my friend. We have a '97 Sport and a '98 Classic. I've changed a couple sensors on the '98 and they are exactly the same as for the '97, both plug configuration and cost. I've changed the same sensors on both vehicles.

You are correct about the engineering changes in '99 and the '00 heads being junk.

The interior in my Classic is exactly the same as in my Sport. The biggest difference is the lighting option and keyless entry which the Sport doesn't have. Our Sport doesn't have power windows or locks, but the '97 Sport we used to have did. If you looked at the interior of the Sport we used to own and the Classic I have now, side by side you couldn't tell the difference. The non power interior XJs were immediate noticeable by the different steering wheels. The airbag in a non power interior is round and smaller than with the power interiors post '96. The Classics were sold with upgraded wheels also. The Classic had painted color matched fender flairs and grille which in the Sport are unpainted black. The bumpers and end caps are also color matched painted. If you look at the picture of my red Classic to the left with my screen alias, you'll see this clearly. The Limited had a chromed grille and license plate light fixture.

If memory serves, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Country was discontinued after the pre '97 body style went away. They had a base Cherokee, Sport, Classic, and Limited post '96.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

sorry bud, but the 98 does indeed have different sensor plugs in a few places. If you own both, go check the plugs on your oil pressure sensor for example... they're different plugs but the same sensor, and the 98 one costs twice as much. Found a few sensors like that on a friend of mine's 98 when we tried to use spare parts I had for my 97.

97 was the last year of the country... 98 they went back to the limited
Old 11-30-2011, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Donnie_K

yes, more power options. I should have clarified . I would add that the 00-01's also had 5 more total horsepower according to the 2000 Jeep Book (Sales Brochure.) It's not even worth mentioning considering the problems those engines have.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

not to mention the extra catalytic converters, and the lack of an available intake upgrade to make 15 more horse... lol
Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Well thanks for all the replies and explinations.
I found and baught an XJ,4x4, that I think was a pretty good deal. I paid a little more than I really wanted to($3000)but It is in really good shape.
It Is a 98 Cherokee Classic, 4.0l I6, power windows,power locks, interior is almost perfect and not a dent or hardly a scratch on it. The only thing that was wrong with it, taht I did not realize during the test drive, was thathe heat was blowing cold air,and the tilt steering does not work.
I flushed out the heater core, using the CLR method and now it blows warm heat, not very hot, but warmatleast.
Yesterday I took the steering colum interior covers off and found that the little cable that goes from the tilt lever to the release ,is broke. Should be an easy fix, if I can find where to get a replacement cable.
Any how here is a couple pics of it. Thanks again for explaining the differances.

Last edited by holorinhal; 12-08-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Well, I'm officially Jealous.