What is the best modern Jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default What is the best modern Jeep?

Hi everyone. I recently had an accident that totaled my 2000 XJ, and will soon need to make some decisions about what to replace it with. I am hesitant to get another XJ right away because even before the accident the monthly repairs were a lot. It would have been cheaper if I had a garage and a good set of tools. I enjoy fixing things myself, but that's just not practical right now. I loved the XJ-- it was a lot of fun. I'd like to get something that's newer but just as cool. (or nearly as cool, because as we all know, XJ's were the pinnacle of automotive design!)

Here's what I need in a vehicle:
The ability to be a reliable daily driver for me and my wife.
The ability to handle rough "jeep trails" in the summer, like steep, washed-out Forest Service roads. I'm an ecologist for my job. And it's fun!
The ability to handle crazy snow in the Northeast.
Need to carry 4-5 people plus camping gear.
Not too crazy expensive. I'm an ecologist, remember!

I checked out the modern Jeep line-up on the company website. I think I might be interested in a Liberty (the new boxy ones, not the older egg-shaped ones) or a Wrangler Unlimited (the 4 door one). The number of trim levels they offer boggles the mind. It gets even more confusing when I look online for used Jeeps and see how many hundreds of them pop up.

So I'm asking for your advice. Which modern Jeeps (new or used under 50K miles) or other types of capable 4x4s do you recommend? I'm not looking to lift, but I want a good amount of capability in stock form, like my XJ had. If you were in my position, what vehicles would you be looking at? Thanks in advance for the advice! -LFH
Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

or you strike gold like i did with my xj....2000 with 38,000 when i got it 07....but good luck....they are out there....just have to look
Old 04-14-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by tommyxj2000
or you strike gold like i did with my xj....2000 with 38,000 when i got it 07....but good luck....they are out there....just have to look
THAT would rock. I searched online in my area and there's nothing like that yet, but I'll keep an eye open.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9

The BRAND new Grands are supposed to be OK. The BRAND new JK Unlimiteds are supposed to be OK. Don't go modern without ging brand new, Jeep spent a lot of time putting out low quality sh-t between 04 and 09. I would search for a super low miles Cherokee before I did anything else, personally. No not-wrangler Jeep is going to match the stock prowess of the Cherokee, they're all ifs.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

Yeah I think a 4 door JK would be the best for you out of the crap jeep is pumping out lately
Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

fully loaded WJ seems like it would fit all of your criteria. i got mine for 11k at 70k miles. dealership. lots of tack-on fees of course but w/o the limited and V8 it drops the price significantly. what is an ifs?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: '89
Engine: 242

Straight from the Dealer?!?!

...Ide say the 2dr Wrangler Rubicon ...or whatever its called... with every offroad "package" they have, equipped on it.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4 liter

Originally Posted by peytonWJ
fully loaded WJ seems like it would fit all of your criteria. i got mine for 11k at 70k miles. dealership. lots of tack-on fees of course but w/o the limited and V8 it drops the price significantly. what is an ifs?
IFS= Independent Front Suspension

the alternative being a solid axle
Old 04-15-2011, 12:46 PM

It sounds like the JK (Wrangler) is the favorite of the bunch. I'm interested in why you think a 2011 JK is so much better than a 2008-ish? They seem to look exactly the same. What changed in the current model year?

Also, while we're on the topic of 4-door wranglers, I had some questions about the trim levels. Obviously the Rubicon is the best, having the most clearance and the most off road capability, but it is mucho dinero. What do you think about the sport version? Would it be worth holding out for the Sahara or the Rubicon?

Is it worth spending extra for the hard top or is a cloth top just fine? What are some of the drawbacks of the cloth top, from those who also own a Wrangler?

Thanks for your input, everyone!

P.S. Nobody mentioned the Liberty. Are there any opinions one way or another?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Stay away from the Sahara.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5L

I say find another XJ. These days everything is ifs, electronic, and expensive to repair. The 4.0L is wayy better and simple! If you have to get a Wrangler try to find a 4.0l TJ Unlimited, those are cool!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by Cloud9-XJ
I say find another XJ. These days everything is ifs, electronic, and expensive to repair. The 4.0L is wayy better and simple! If you have to get a Wrangler try to find a 4.0l TJ Unlimited, those are cool!
There is something nice about a warranty that makes repairs...free...

For awhile anyway.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

soft top is cold in the winter and its hard to see out of the plastic windows when covered in salt if you get a jk get a hard top trust me they have a nice rear wiper... you can always take it off in the summer time...if you plan on keeping your jeep for a long time hold out for exactly what you want this way there are no regeats later... i like thed the unlimited rubicon it drives nice on and off road... has built in fog lights in the bumper.. its an all around good package my friends loves his and his whole family likes riding around in it too.... some dealer options worth getting are factory skid plates, tow hooks and fog lights and a trailer tow group whcih gives a a trans cooeler etc.... they are 3X more expeisnve to add later... just a fyi... and i know this because i used to work for mopar
Old 04-15-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

I had 2 different wronglers. A '01 and '99, both the duel tops. I don't know about the JK, but on both TJs the soft top was warmer. The hard top was always cold and seemed to never let the inside stay warm.

Sent from my iPhone using CherokeeFM
Old 04-15-2011, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

If you want a JK wait a year till they swap in the 3.6 Pentastar, much more power + better mileage.
Eventhough most people here don't like the Libertys I personally have an 06 KJ (Liberty) and my sister has a 03, both around 80k and have been nice and reliable, and stock vs. stock will stay on the trails with an XJ.

I also like the WJs 99-04 GC, a 05+ GC would be nice but a little more costly. Or if you can find a 04-06 LJ wrangler, that would be a good option since the normal wranglers are a little tight on space.

Quick Reply: What is the best modern Jeep?