Weird cant to the front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Weird cant to the front end

Okay, let me preface this by saying I'm not a mechanic. Give me a Haynes manual and I can do "okay" when it comes to troubleshooting/repairs/etc. IF it involves tools Joe Average might have around the house (ie, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.).

This is my first Cherokee, a vehicle purchased mainly so my newly licensed son will have access to a vehicle. Obviously, it's also something of a toy for me. I've had it two weeks now and so far I've installed a new stereo/speakers (which was a first for me, thank you Crutchfield for making it easy!), replaced the interior incandescent bulbs with LEDs, and I'm waiting for a metal replacement center console bracket (thanks ccooper!)

Yesterday I installed new Autopal headlights, with Hella 100/80 bulbs and the Putco wiring harness. All went pretty smoothly and best of all, they worked! Last night I went out to see how it all looked.

One light is decidedly higher than the other....and it's not the aiming, there is a 'lean' to it. I started looking harder at the front end and had a revelation. While I'd always kinda thought the front end looked a little weird, but I always wrote it off to being parked on a slope or whatever. But after last night, it looks like my left front tire has 2" of lift on it and the others don't! LOL

Any ideas on where I start looking for the problem? This is kinda beyond me.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

A spirit Level.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by AllenTC2
Okay, let me preface this by saying I'm not a mechanic. Give me a Haynes manual and I can do "okay" when it comes to troubleshooting/repairs/etc. IF it involves tools Joe Average might have around the house (ie, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.).

This is my first Cherokee, a vehicle purchased mainly so my newly licensed son will have access to a vehicle. Obviously, it's also something of a toy for me. I've had it two weeks now and so far I've installed a new stereo/speakers (which was a first for me, thank you Crutchfield for making it easy!), replaced the interior incandescent bulbs with LEDs, and I'm waiting for a metal replacement center console bracket (thanks ccooper!)

Yesterday I installed new Autopal headlights, with Hella 100/80 bulbs and the Putco wiring harness. All went pretty smoothly and best of all, they worked! Last night I went out to see how it all looked.

One light is decidedly higher than the other....and it's not the aiming, there is a 'lean' to it. I started looking harder at the front end and had a revelation. While I'd always kinda thought the front end looked a little weird, but I always wrote it off to being parked on a slope or whatever. But after last night, it looks like my left front tire has 2" of lift on it and the others don't! LOL

Any ideas on where I start looking for the problem? This is kinda beyond me.
Take a picture of both front springs and both rear springs and post it here.

Measure from the center of the wheel to the flare on both sides and post it here.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 PM

Measurements are 17" for both rear tires. 19" front left, 18" front right. Pics I'll try to get later. Talked to a guy today who runs a Jeep junkyard, he said my back looked a little low, that Cherokee springs tended to get saggy with age.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:31 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 i6

Post pics of the front and rear. Could be a sagging rear leaf I reckon
Btw i'm near Huntington haha
Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 PM

Oh yeah? I'm in Cross Lanes. I will try and get pics tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

This is my first Cherokee, a vehicle purchased mainly so my newly licensed son will have access to a vehicle. Obviously, it's also something of a toy for me.
Yeah we will see how long sharing an XJ lasts. I give it until the lift. And then its gunna be "get your own XJ!"
Old 06-23-2013, 12:06 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by XJ ONLY
Yeah we will see how long sharing an XJ lasts. I give it until the lift. And then its gunna be "get your own XJ!"
Yep, sounds about right
Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 AM

LOL Actually, the plan is he'll use the Jeep this coming school year, as he has a short commute to/from school practice. Then when he graduates and moves in with me, the Focus will be his DD, as he'll have a much longer commute.

Of course, by that time, I plan on having a 2" lift, new bumpers, etc.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 PM

Sorry for the delay! Here are pics. I think I may know what the problem is.....

First, the victim.

The front springs

And the likely culprits.....

Again.....I'm no expert. But I'm pretty sure the springs aren't supposed to be flat (heck, they look bent back to me!) like that are they?

My question is, can I still take a trip on these without replacing them? I'm not going rock crawling or anything like that. Or should I replace them ASAP?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 PM

Get a lift with new springs.problem solved
Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 AM

Well, I can't really afford a lift right now (I've been eying that Old Man Emu 1.5" lift kit). I'm gonna have to settle for new springs right now.

But just for my education, those rear springs ARE bad, right? LOL
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, I can't really afford a lift right now (I've been eying that Old Man Emu 1.5" lift kit). I'm gonna have to settle for new springs right now.

But just for my education, those rear springs ARE bad, right? LOL
Yes, they are VERY bad. Save for the lift then. You're gonna spend more money buying stock replacements and then the lift kit, so just do it right the first time IMO.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

How many leafs are in the pack? The one pic looks like it might be missing a leaf it's sagging so bad.

Save up for a lift. Or look on CL or something, see if maybe someone is getting rid of some leafs that better off than yours.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:31 AM

I'd love to, but again.....$800+/- (and that's not counting installation) right before I'm supposed to take this thing out west is undoable. But I can get some good "stock" replacement springs. I'm only going 1.5-2" max anyway.

As for missing leafs, I don't think it is....there are three on each one. I just think they're probably old. LOL

Quick Reply: Weird cant to the front end