XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Visually Differentiate 360 vs 401 V8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Visually Differentiate 360 vs 401 V8?

Hello all,

I have been looking at several 1976-1983 Jeep Cherokees but as there are very few in my area I have been relying on pictures. Is there a way to visually tell if a truck has a 360 versus a 401 V8 from photographs? I could very well be wrong, but it is my understanding that there is a type of stamping on the engine that denotes the 401 but that it is hard to get to...

Thanks all!
Old 07-06-2017, 12:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/ and http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/ would better place to ask.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Here is a link to understanding the engine ID codes stamped on AMC engines and their locations. All of the 2nd and 3rd generation V8's use the same block. Visually they look the same.
http://street2mud.com/webfiles/AMC%20Engine%20codes.pdf
Old 07-06-2017, 07:12 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche
Engine: 4.0

its stamped on the block near the motor mounts. i think thats really the only way to verify.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:11 AM

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate it!

Yet, if indeed one must remove the bell housing in order to see the stamping that would seem to be a tough task, and certainly not something one could do on just inspecting a truck before buying. I suppose one would just have to trust the seller is being honest (outside of the year of the FSJ).

Thanks again all!
Old 07-06-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Santeh
Thank you, everyone! I appreciate it!

Yet, if indeed one must remove the bell housing in order to see the stamping that would seem to be a tough task, and certainly not something one could do on just inspecting a truck before buying. I suppose one would just have to trust the seller is being honest (outside of the year of the FSJ).

Thanks again all!
It should not be necessary to remove the bell housing. Starting in 1969, the displacement on AMC engines is cast into the block under the motor mount bracket on either side.

http://ganymede.meccahosting.com/~a0...ng_numbers.htm

(The exception would be service replacement blocks which don't have the displacement numbers.)
Old 07-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rambler65
It should not be necessary to remove the bell housing. Starting in 1969, the displacement on AMC engines is cast into the block under the motor mount bracket on either side.

http://ganymede.meccahosting.com/~a0...ng_numbers.htm

(The exception would be service replacement blocks which don't have the displacement numbers.)
Thanks! One of the sources I read stated that the bell mount had to be removed, yet not having to do so and having such an apparent sign is great!

One question, though. Is it possible for someone to change the motor mount block thereby deceiving the seller? If so, I would guess there's not much one can do.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Santeh
One question, though. Is it possible for someone to change the motor mount block thereby deceiving the seller? If so, I would guess there's not much one can do.
No, the displacement is cast directly into the block itself, it's not at all feasible to change it. (If someone shows you a displacement number on something that is removable from the block then it is not authoritative.)
Old 07-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rambler65
No, the displacement is cast directly into the block itself, it's not at all feasible to change it. (If someone shows you a displacement number on something that is removable from the block then it is not authoritative.)
Awesome! A world with a little less trickery is fine by me!

Thanks again! I appreciate it!