Victory

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L
Default Victory

When you drive into your mechanic's shop for the yearly inspection, pass, and drive away in about 30 minutes altogether

Granted, I got there early in the morning, it was pouring rain and wind which probably kept all the other customers away.

$40 bucks well spent.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Aren't they a pain?! Ours are yearly to. 99.5% of the time I can just pull in and they'll throw on a sticker. The other .5% is during the time the State is doing random undercover checks to make sure it's being done by the book.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:23 AM

Yeah, I worry about them cracking down or something. They don't even put the sensor in the tail pipe anymore. Just connect to the OBDII scanner and slap the sticker on. I have yet to connect a scanner to my computer that works. It gives me an error code every time, so I wonder what the inspection computer sees. I don't want to ask, as long as the sticker prints out.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm spoiled Kentucky only inspects a car from out of state when you buy it besides that nothing not even smog here anymore.The reason they don't use the tail pipe sniffer with anything odb2 as long as there is no check engine light the car is running prefect and the smog system is working right.The older cars odb1 and non ecu could run rough and have the smog system not working right is why they had to use the tail pipe sniffer to test it.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Engine: 4.0

I worked in a small shop back in the late 90's and the owner would tweak people's cars just to get them to pass. The emission tests have been done at licensed shops for as long as I can remember in MA. Which is where that was.

That's how it is here in CT now also but the test equipment is directly connected with the state motor vehicle dept. so each time a vehicle is tested it sends the results directly into their database. And there's a fee for a retest.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to live in new jersey where state inspections were very strict. Local state inspection station had a skid pad theyd drive onto and brake to see if car was braking evenly, would check for wheel bearing play, among all the other usual things. Any cracked lens or windshield was automatic failure. Did the exhaust sniffer but was 60 seconds at idle, 60 accel, 60 at high rpm, and 60 decel. NJ's test was intentionally designed to fail most cars over 5 or 6 years old . Between high taxes and the need for constantly nearly new cars, was NJ's way to squeeze out the "riff raff". Made it hard to live there unless well educated, at least upper middle class, and two incomes. I hate state inspections, i see them as another form of gov't control. Alternative at the time was my one local guy who could do private inspections and would "adjust " your car to make it pass for the low price of only $200.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Had my XJ for a little over two years and finally got insurance and license for it. Had some concerns bout getting a “sticker” but went on Sat. Real close to closing time and after looking it over pretty good but not real good gave me a regular “sticker” instead of a modified which saved me some money. His main concerns were blocks under the springs and tire coverage which were no problem for me with new leafs in da back and coils up front and Napier fender flares. I’m a happy camper!
Old 11-12-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not been required to have a vehicle inspected for the last 15 years. I like living in a 'non-nanny' state.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pigeon
I have not been required to have a vehicle inspected for the last 15 years. I like living in a 'non-nanny' state.
Yeah, it's probably not necessary now with better car standards, safety equipment, and diagnostics. However, every now and then I see vehicles on the road that are death traps and should fail inspection.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

The price I pay to live in a non-commie state
Old 11-19-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
That's a bit of an exaggeration, no? Commies don't have safer cars on the road than in NYS.

Though they are more entertaining.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Same here... What's scary though is that so many would just jump in a car and hammer the throttle to the floor no matter how safe the car is causing these type of laws to be passed.

Just because of one idiot we are all deemed as guilty of idiocy and get the idiot probe.