Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission/engine leakage

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Transmission/engine leakage

Yesterday I decided to take the Jeep snowboarding. On the way up the mountain I noticed there was smoke coming out of the back. I then pulled over to take a look and noticed transmission fluid leaking out of the front of the belly pan (near the bell housing) and going onto the exhaust. Then I figured I needed to re seal the belly pan, but there was also darker fluid all over the bell housing as well. At this time I checked my fluid levels and noticed both my tranny and engine oil were low. I knew my rear main seal was a little leaky but I rarely ever had to add oil before. So could things just have gotten hot enough to make the rear main seal and the tranny belly pan gasket fail and leak all of a sudden?

Luckily I carry extra fluid and tools with me so I was able to nurse it home. The engine never once got above normal operating temp but my tranny definitely was hotter than usual. I could feel it through the floor slightly as compared to before this I could never feel the heat of it through the floor.

I am trying to figure out what I need to do next. My thoughts were along the lines of re sealing the engines oil pan gasket and rear main seal then doing the same for the transmission. But my worries are the transmission got too hot because the fluid smells burnt and is darker then usual. It seemed to shift fine on the way home. Is there steps to take to find out the condition of the transmission or should I just re seal it, re fill, drive it, and see how she does?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

As for the engine, here's how to approach the leaks. There could be way less than you think, and much easier to fix.

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 02-26-2013
Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

What Cruiser54 says. Find the source of the leak first.

I usually use a brake clean product (a non flammable one when possible) to clean with. It air dries quickly, and cuts through oils / fluid pretty good. Use a rag if needed. Be safe using it, don't get it in your eyes, etc.

Once everything is clean and dry, start the vehicle up. If that doesn't show anything, drive it around the block and then check.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 PM

Engine: 4.0 HO

Good info. I'll be able to get it cleaned up and drive it around Friday to locate the leaks. And I'm glad you mentioned the oil pressure sending unit, ect. for places to look, I am not a mechanic nor a very experienced DIY'er so I wouldn't have thought of those but I do enjoy the challenge of fixing new things on my jeep for the sake of learning.. I'll be sure to post an update Friday evening.