Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transfer Case Issue/Solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Post Transfer Case Issue/Solution

So I finally got around to being able to check my transfer case on my 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country and I found out it had a crack in it. For a while, it has been making a shuttering noise while driving, but i'm not sure if the transfer case is the issue. When putting it in 4 wheel drive from speed that the manual allows, it makes a louder shuttering noise. I found the leak, and hopefully sealed it with JB Weld. Now my question, is would having actual fluid to the fill plug, stop the first shuttering noise of just driving IF the noise is from the transfer case, and 2nd question is would it help putting it in 4 wheel drive. Not very smart on this subject, thanks for all the help in advance!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Crack in Tcase. Not good.
Where exactly is the crack? How large?

A couple things:
The crack might only be the tip of the iceberg. Depending on how large and its location it could affect the structural integrity of the entire Tcase and its moving parts.

If the crack was there a while, the Tcase might have been running dry. Not good.

The fluid should flow out of the top fill hole for a correct fill. When it stops flowing, plug it.

In any case its likely you're looking at a Tcase replacement.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by moparado
Crack in Tcase. Not good.
Where exactly is the crack? How large?

A couple things:
The crack might only be the tip of the iceberg. Depending on how large and its location it could affect the structural integrity of the entire Tcase and its moving parts.

If the crack was there a while, the Tcase might have been running dry. Not good.

The fluid should flow out of the top fill hole for a correct fill. When it stops flowing, plug it.

In any case its likely you're looking at a Tcase replacement.
Its on the left side, about 2 inches to the left of the drain plug, only about an inch maybe an inch and a half in size. I'm pretty sure it ran dry for a while because I had no time or the tools to deal with it. Got it hopefully patched and fixed with JB Weld, and filled it to the fill plug with the correct fluid.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Most likely scenario is chain broke and bunched up on itself until it pushed on the side of the case until it cracked. Seen it multiple times. Just threw one out for the same reason.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by oldguy52
Most likely scenario is chain broke and bunched up on itself until it pushed on the side of the case until it cracked. Seen it multiple times. Just threw one out for the same reason.
I might be able to actually look into the case into the future, but from what I know, the previous owner was just a beater to it and didn't really take care of it, hopefully nothing like the chain is the problem.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:28 PM

Quick update:
Took it for a drive and it seems worse than before with no fluid in it. Feels a lot clunkier, i can feel it kinda rattle under my feet as driving. Is that just because it never had fluid in it before? I used Valvoline Max Life full synthetic transmission fluid.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by vexumy
Quick update:
Took it for a drive and it seems worse than before with no fluid in it. Feels a lot clunkier, i can feel it kinda rattle under my feet as driving. Is that just because it never had fluid in it before? I used Valvoline Max Life full synthetic transmission fluid.
Don't know about that fluid you used. But...
If you're positive the Tcase had no fluid in it and that coupled with the crack, its probably shot.

Even if its re-buildable, the crack is another additional matter to consider.
If the JB epoxy holds for now, cracks can have a tendency to grow over time. The POer left you with a mess of a Tcase.

IMO, i'd start looking for another Tcase.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by moparado
Don't know about that fluid you used. But...
If you're positive the Tcase had no fluid in it and that coupled with the crack, its probably shot.

Even if its re-buildable, the crack is another additional matter to consider.
If the JB epoxy holds for now, cracks can have a tendency to grow over time. The POer left you with a mess of a Tcase.

IMO, i'd start looking for another Tcase.
What do I do if I can't afford another case? I won't be able to uninstall the current 1 and install a new 1 because I pretty much have no time and it is my only vehicle and I don't have money for a mechanic to do it.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:36 PM
Banned

Year: 2000 and 1998

looks like the forum helped with your jeep mechanical problem. you need to find a way to finance the repairs. you probably wont get much help here with personal problems. we all have some, sorry. good luck
Old 04-27-2017, 09:33 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L non 0331 head

What do I do if I can't afford another case? I won't be able to uninstall the current 1 and install a new 1 because I pretty much have no time and it is my only vehicle and I don't have money for a mechanic to do it.
Find a 2wd xj at a junk yard and pull the parts that allow it to be not 4wd. Swap them over. No idea what it would cost or how but just an idea that could possibly cost less than a transfer case. Or just get a transfer case from the junk yard. A worn out one is better than what you have now.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:24 AM

It is what it is when buying a 21 yr. old vehicle. You have to expect and plan for things like this to happen.

About the only advice i can give is to...
...Beg, borrow but NOT steal the money, locate a Tcase in a bone yard with reasonable mileage then look around for a shop or shade tree mechanic who'll do the work for the best price.
Or
Sell the Jeep as is and cut your losses.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Let's be a little real here, buying a 21 year old beater from someone to use as a daily isn't the wisest decision ever either.

Sounds like that T-case is a time bomb. Only advice I can give is that if you don't have AAA, it's time to get it because tows are expensive.....
Old 04-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

Where you located?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by oldguy52
Where you located?
Southern Wisconsin
Old 05-04-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

pull off the front driveshaft and see if you get the clunking sound when you drive it. If the chain brake and bunched up under the front output shaft it still might operate without the front shaft spinning and buy you enough time to get another case. Look on craigslist for cases too.