Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transfer Box & cheap suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transfer Box & cheap suspension

Hello all. I'm new to all this and don't know how to post a question on the iPhone app! I think this is the way!
I've got a '96 Xj 4.0 limited auto that I found in a very bad state earlier this year. I'd promised myself one since my dad had one back in '96. I found mine for £250 (about $400), so you can guess what it looked like. But I knew she was good underneath. Since then I've been working any spare time fixing her up & getting everything working & she's now gleaming. I do still however have one problem, the transfer box won't select low range, it just acts like the cars in neutral, it some times selects part time & full time, but then tend to get stuck in there! I've tried adjusting the selector bar, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Does anyone know if the transfer box a finished?
The car only has 85k on her, so thought she'd last a little longer!
Also, does anyone know how to do a budget lift on an xj here in the uk, where we dont have access to S10's for the bastard kit? The only other similar US cars we have in the UK are the chevy blazer and Ford Explorer, so don't know if you can use parts from these?

Many thanks & my apologies for such a long post!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

If low range wasn't used by the previous owner it can sometimes be hard to engage. While in neutral let the vehicle rock a little and you may have to slide the shifter back a little hard. Had to do this with mine when I first got it. As for springs if the blazer is the smaller size, about the same size as your jeep it has the same springs as a S10.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:34 PM

Thank you very much for that info. I have tried changing the selector a few times at different speeds, but it finds some gears some times, but then just part time four wheel drive others, but never low ratio? I can't seem to work it out. I'm no mechanic, but I've owned a few series landrovers in my time & the jeep doesn't seem any more complex than those!
As for the lift, the blazer rear leafs were all to expensive, so I've just opted for the Fat Bobs garage 2" lift kit. Does anyone know how difficult they are to fit & are they any good?
Thanks again for all the help!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Are you trying to put it in low in gear? You need to have it in neutral and works best if you're not moving.