Old 07-19-2011, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default Tires: stt vs. Duratracs

alright I got my lift problems resolved. Now I
Have tire questions. I have it narrowed down to Cooper discovery stt's and Goodyear wrangler duratracs. my interests are:
1. tire wear/mileage on road
2.offroad capabilities versus eachother or any other tire you've used
3. Price/availability
4. just general input on the tire

the duratracs don't look like a mt or even as aggressive as a bfg a/t but I've heard a lot about them. Thanks everyone pics along with size and lift specs are a plus!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I ran a set of 33" STT's....FAWESOME TIRES.
They handled dry roads, wet roads, Snow and Ice, rocks, loose dirt, etc, etc,

I never had any problems with 'em

A really great tire IMHO.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9

If you like the duratracs you should google Kelly Safari TSR's, Jovie the Jeep's getting a set put on in a couple of weeks. They're aggressive, cheap, and supposedly wear well.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

I've only actually run the STT, x2 on what Frank said. Mileage-wise they seemed to wear decent. But, sold the vehicle before got to wear them out.
The Duratrac is a really aggressive AT tire. I've considered running them. I hear mixed things about wear/mileage. They go pretty much anywhere from sand to mild/moderate mud and ice/snow.
You could also look into the Kelly Safari TSR, very similar to the Duratrac, but a bit different and most of the time cheaper.

.. What are you mostly going to do with them? Sand dunes, Back country, rock crawling, expedition type trails?
Of tires I have run on my own vehicles my top AT tires are as follows:
Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO - hands down best AT tire I have ever owned.
Bridgestone Dueler A/T 693/695 - 2nd to the REVO, very close tho. Usually slightly cheaper.
Dayton Timberline A/T - usually decently priced. Not sure how hard the 1st gen is to find, I know that the AT2 is slightly different.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Got a set of Duratrac's when they first came out. I am still running the same ones. I have never had a set of tires that have done all of this. The wear is amazing for such a soft tread block. Like FrankZ said they are amazing. Will be buying another set shortly.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
Got a set of Duratrac's when they first came out. I am still running the same ones. I have never had a set of tires that have done all of this. The wear is amazing for such a soft tread block. Like FrankZ said they are amazing. Will be buying another set shortly.

Frank was talking about the coopers. If I had to pick, it would be the coopers.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

I bought a set of dura tracs. Love em. They do everything, mud (lots of mud), sand, loose terrain, snow and ice... probly have a good 6000 miles on them and they haven't worn maybe a 32nd of an inch. I have 6 inches of lift overall and run 33s
Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the input everyone. I will be doing a lot of winter traveling up here in Maine and I take back roads that usually go unplowed until the end of the storms(6+ inches on them at a time). Also the trails around here are mostly clay and loam type
Mud with small sharp rocks so a tough sidewall is a must. I hope that provides a little more info!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

Originally Posted by K2dark_xj
Thanks for the input everyone. I will be doing a lot of winter traveling up here in Maine and I take back roads that usually go unplowed until the end of the storms(6+ inches on them at a time). Also the trails around here are mostly clay and loam type
Mud with small sharp rocks so a tough sidewall is a must. I hope that provides a little more info!

Change my input, for those circumstances, go with the duratrac. Lots of siping!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

If you go with the dura tracs, go through walmart and get their road hazard protection. If you do happen to put something through the sidewall, the tire will be covered for the first 25% of the tread life and will be prorated out through the rest of the tread life. The only place I found cheaper than walmart was tirerack.com but after shipping, it was about the same. Plus, if you print of the page with the price from tirerack, walmart might match the tire price.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

www.treaddepot.com

TylerL. 94 ZJ 3" lift. My DD.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MudCrazed!
If you go with the dura tracs, go through walmart and get their road hazard protection. If you do happen to put something through the sidewall, the tire will be covered for the first 25% of the tread life and will be prorated out through the rest of the tread life. The only place I found cheaper than walmart was tirerack.com but after shipping, it was about the same. Plus, if you print of the page with the price from tirerack, walmart might match the tire price.
I dont spend my hard earned money at walmart. where I live, everyone knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that works outa his house and can give me a good deal on new tires. maybe I'll even trade and give him 5 gallons of maple syrup and a couple fresh smoked pork roasts or something. most of the people around here do good work and everyone knows the people who don't. btw nice sig. I'll have to agree with you on that but I'd have to add a hunting rifle and a snowboard

Last edited by K2dark_xj; 07-20-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

I dont spend my hard earned money at walmart. where I live, everyone knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that works outa his house and can give me a good deal on new tires. maybe I'll even trade and give him 5 gallons of maple syrup and a couple fresh smoked pork roasts or something. most of the people around here do good work and everyone knows the people who don't. btw nice sig. I'll have to agree with you on that but I'd have to add a hunting rifle and a snowboard
Trust me, I agree 100%. But the warranty is what sold it. anyway, thanks, i'd like to add those to my sig, but not enough experience with those yet...lol
Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Originally Posted by jcwclm
Frank was talking about the coopers. If I had to pick, it would be the coopers.
thanks.... I realized it too late and was running out of time so I didn't change it.... my bad.... but the Duratrac's are really good still.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm here in Maine too and I had a set of 31" Duratracs on my old Bronco, and they are absolutely awesome tires. I bought them specifically because I do a lot of winter driving. I really don't think you'll find a better tire for snow traction. Get them studded and they'd be completely unstoppable. I can't really say anything about mileage because I only had them that one winter. I'll probably be picking up another set this fall.

Also, these tires are much more aggressive than the BFG A/T.
Judging from your screen name, are you a boarder or skier?

Quick Reply: Tires: stt vs. Duratracs