Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tinted lenses

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Tinted lenses

So, decided to try out the VHT Nightshades stuff on my taillight housings, third brake light, front side markers, and the front blinker covers. I must say I'm pretty impressed. I did 2 coats of the VHT and then 1 clearcoat. Allowing for proper dry time in between coats made it take about 2 1/2 hours all together. I wanted to try something different and leave the reverse light section clean though. I figure I can always shade it if I want, but I wanted to hear everyone's .02 first. I think they'll look better once the Jeep's washed having the black side trim as accents.
Attached Images     
Old 03-29-2010, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6.0

just a question how much did this end up coasting you?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

about $19 and 2 1/2 hours of time.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 AM

it's hard to tell but are they still a little milky? i wanna say ok lets try it this way r they not as glossy as u thought they would be?

if this being true then take some wetodry sand paper and wet sand the lights. not a lot just to were it looks smoother and u'll be able to tell after u wet sand it. and then take some rubbing compound and apply that as directed. this should give them a nice glossy look.

i'm not trying to be rude here or hyjack or anything just trying to help people out i have about 6 sets of lights under my belt and this same look can be done with cheap flat black spray paint from wall-mart.

and the reason i asked how much u spent is because i'm always looking for a cheaper way of doing it for customers.

ohh and for the reason why you posted this. looks good. i like the way it looks and it looks like u did a good job.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by iwheeljeepxj
it's hard to tell but are they still a little milky? i wanna say ok lets try it this way r they not as glossy as u thought they would be?

if this being true then take some wetodry sand paper and wet sand the lights. not a lot just to were it looks smoother and u'll be able to tell after u wet sand it. and then take some rubbing compound and apply that as directed. this should give them a nice glossy look.

i'm not trying to be rude here or hyjack or anything just trying to help people out i have about 6 sets of lights under my belt and this same look can be done with cheap flat black spray paint from wall-mart.

and the reason i asked how much u spent is because i'm always looking for a cheaper way of doing it for customers.

ohh and for the reason why you posted this. looks good. i like the way it looks and it looks like u did a good job.
Thanks for the compliment! They actually do have a nice gloss to them after putting on a clearcoat but the picture doesn't show it with it being cloudy a the time. I did wet send them before clearcoating and it did make a big difference.

you could do the cheap stuff from wally-world but you gotta be careful to not go too thick. I did 2 coats (1 coat consisting of 3 passes) and you can still see a small amount of red and orange when the sunlight hits. I wanted more of a dark smoked look rather than blacked out and it worked well. I could easily go full black with one more coat though. $19 was for the VHT, clearcoat, and wet paper by the way.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 AM

yea i normally hit it's with three coats wit just spay paint. and that isn't a bad price then. the key is a light mist for coats.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Great job, I've been wanting to do this on my blacked out jeep. Where did you pick up all your supplies?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks! Got it all from pepboys. most auto parts (autozone, advance auto) stores carry it all.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

any of you guys got a pic of a 84-96 cherokee with blacked out corners and rears?

dont mean to thread jack, just figured it would be nice to have both in one thread, and BTW looks great
Old 03-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Hey man i really like thoes taillights
Old 03-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Engine: 4.0L

One of the best ways to accomplish this, if you want long-life, no fade and no chipping, is to take your taillights to a body shop and have them mix a little black in with some clearcoat and spray it. You get the tint, plus long life.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by halmotors
One of the best ways to accomplish this, if you want long-life, no fade and no chipping, is to take your taillights to a body shop and have them mix a little black in with some clearcoat and spray it. You get the tint, plus long life.
thats no fun. that means you can't do it your self. it's fun to just spend a day painting things.

and for the person who wants to see them on an older cherkee i plan on doing mine wen. or thus. now that there no snow on the ground.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

i JUST painted mine. i will let you know how they turn out once they dry =]

Nice looking jeep man! i love factory bull bar
Attached Images   

Last edited by 96_xj; 03-29-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by iwheeljeepxj
thats no fun. that means you can't do it your self. it's fun to just spend a day painting things.
No, but it means they'll last a lot longer and end up costing you less in the long-run.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

well i got them finished up i am very pleased with the results. i will wet sand them once they are fully cured (but because of school maybe some time next week). i did 2 passes. 1 to where it changed the color and then second to go over it again. the lenses still are visible from a distance when the lights are on. i will do the marker lenses when i get a new passenger one in.... gotta love idiot birds..(flew head first into it)

i dont mean to thread jack either....
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Tinted lenses