Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Thoughts on keeping the Jeep?

Well not going to sell it now but in the near future... (maybe). So I will be a senior in high school next year and will soon after be going in to college. I currently have a 98 xj with just over 207k and 3" (soon to be 4.5") lift. I have put a lot of time and money into this jeep and love it. I would really like to keep my xj but wonder if it is the best decision financially. If I keep it for more than a year then I will have to probably get new leafs, SYE & ds, and do a good replacement of engine parts to keep it running for a while and for better highway driving. I like having a lifted truck, but also would not mind having like a bmw 3 series or something sporty. Also I've thought of maybe getting better highway drivability from maybe a lifted wj or land rover idk. Something about putting a lot of money into something over 200k miles just doesn't seem like a very good investment. Anyone have any advice/comments?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
Well not going to sell it now but in the near future... (maybe). So I will be a senior in high school next year and will soon after be going in to college. I currently have a 98 xj with just over 207k and 3" (soon to be 4.5") lift. I have put a lot of time and money into this jeep and love it. I would really like to keep my xj but wonder if it is the best decision financially. If I keep it for more than a year then I will have to probably get new leafs, SYE & ds, and do a good replacement of engine parts to keep it running for a while and for better highway driving. I like having a lifted truck, but also would not mind having like a bmw 3 series or something sporty. Also I've thought of maybe getting better highway drivability from maybe a lifted wj or land rover idk. Something about putting a lot of money into something over 200k miles just doesn't seem like a very good investment. Anyone have any advice/comments?
I know it would be hard but in your situation I would probably part with my jeep. Sad but with gas the way it is it's probably best. Goodluck on your decision!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah. Thanks. But I probably won't be going to a college that is over 2 hours away. But still I don't know haha I have time to think though.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

You must look at how much it will cost to keep the other ones on the road. Jeep has some of the cheapest parts around. You seam to be worried about mileage. Well I-6's have been know to run well over 3k. Some parts are going to fail in time like starter alt ext. Call your parts store and get price quotes on parts. You will see staying in your Jeep is the best way to go. A used motor is only 250 and a weekend. If you get bad mileage now you might just need gears. As for the leafs you need stock leafs and shacks with no SYE. I have been down this road to meany times and always go back to a Jeep. XJ's are the cheapest thing to drive when all angles are looked at closely.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

I graduated last Friday lol but i would prob sell it if i were you cause like you said there are several things that your facing in the future and it almost sounds like you want to haha. Go with your gut!!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Do not sell you will regret it forever. For instance when I was in the navy I had an 86 mustang gt ttop wasn't a jewel of a car but I loved it I got orders to transfer to Italy for two years and I didn't know the process to take it with me and I couldn't afford to take it to my parents so I sold it I still regret selling it ten years later. On the gas mileage thing if I love the vehicle and how it makes me feel driving it the gas mileage is just a write off. If you need something with good gas mileage buy a good cheap beater car to help ease your pain at the pump. Just my opinions on the subject
Old 05-23-2012, 06:35 AM
CF Veteran

My concern with the mileage is that I won't get money back out from selling it when I have to. But I do agree that it will run just as well as anything else.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Well I can't tell you realistically to sell or keep without knowing you whole situation plus its always a personal decision. What I will suggest is this, your OP states that it has 3" and soon to be 4 1/2". If you are considering selling it why would you invest more money in it by adding more lift. I would suggest deciding on selling or keeping before you add any more money to it. Since you are concerned with fuel mileage, if you do decide to keep it adding more lift will only decrease your mileage. No the lift itself won't but If you are like me and most others, one things leads to another and more lift will eventually result in bigger tires.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:36 AM

keep it with the 3" lift. it will be more reliable and cheaper than almost anything you're thinking of replacing it with. once you're done with college, you'll hopefully have the money to mod it further or purchase something else for daily driving.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 i6

don't sell it
Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

I'll probably end up keeping it. No use in paying for more insurance or repairs on a bmw while I'm in college and the car sits at home. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You're worried about your financial situation with a Jeep? Get that BMW 3 series and you see how bad it could really be. A BMW is a good car, but when they break they break expensively. I would stick with the XJ.