Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Almost 20 YO's want an XJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Almost 20 YO's want an XJ

My 20 year old twins want an XJ as a back to school car for sophomore year. I know the 4.0 I6 is pretty bullet proof, the question is what do I look for that makes one a "no go" while searching. Where are the typical out of sight rust problems etc. Mother-in-law(RIP) had a limited back in the day as here daily and it was a great car. Just trying to avoid a complete headache.

Thanks, Steve of KY
Old 05-23-2012, 03:06 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O

Check the obvious things first, which I'm sure you know, mileage, interior, and so on. I guess the question is more what is it for...it sounds like a daily driver so beyond looking for wear/tear, rust and maintenance there isn't a ton to look at. The biggest thing would be any sign of abuse, like if I has been lifted before. My personal opinion is I don't like the 97' and up models, but that is just me. How ever 97' and up offer a few more creature comforts previous models do not. As far as rust spots go....floors, I've seen many just disappear. I'm actually in the process of putting new ones in. Also right above the A-pillar, I've seen rust pop up. Hope anything I said helps, good luck.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Look at the rockers, floorboards, and unibody rails. If its got low oil pressure (Below 30-40 while driving) or drops oil pressure, i would look for another. Check the oil and coolant for discoloration/milkiness, and take a test drive in it to make sure i has no overheating issues. Thats a few things i could think of off the top of my head, Just make sure it runs right and is pretty rust free and you'll be good to go!

And this isnt really a cherokee only problem, but check above the front windshield for pealing paint/rust. If there is any, then more than likely the front windshield has been replaced poorly.. That will give you a major leak problem and a real headache.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by SKKY
My 20 year old twins want an XJ as a back to school car for sophomore year. I know the 4.0 I6 is pretty bullet proof, the question is what do I look for that makes one a "no go" while searching. Where are the typical out of sight rust problems etc. Mother-in-law(RIP) had a limited back in the day as here daily and it was a great car. Just trying to avoid a complete headache.

Thanks, Steve of KY
Take whatever you're looking at to a local garage and pay less than 100 dollars for them to check the compression, brakes and other less obvious things. Have your kids change all the fluids or maybe even do the brakes, it's a good learning experience and there are videos and instructions all over the internet. Then they should at least know how to maintain it.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM

Thanks for thoughts so far, I know that they are known to overheat so I appreciate the "milky oil" advice. any other good ways to detect overheat or is it not a complete problem if it's back running?