Strange Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Strange Overheating issues

I just recently picked up my first cherokee this past weekend, and on my drive home experienced some overheating issues.

First off, I have searched and read various threads throughout the week since purchasing the jeep. Came across some helpful tips, but felt I could better narrow down certain things with the help from the cherokee community.

Its a 2000 Cherokee sport
I double checked and the car has no open recalls based on VIN.
mileage: 117,500
no visible leaks
all fluids and oil looks good
radiator cap looks good
Had a vehicle check up done locally and they found no visible issues as well.
(they are suspecting the problem is the gauge/electrical???)

The drive home was from Chicago to Manhattan, Kansas. The strange thing is, I didn't experience any overheating issues until I passed Columbia, Missouri (over 300 miles from Chicago). The car was running a little warm from the get go...on both city and highway, it is running one notch passed midway (210) so I'm gonna say 220 ish. It is a hair under 220 on the highway I suppose. I'm reading that most are running around 200-210. The first heat up episode happened with cruise control on and came to a slight incline. The temp shot up to the "H" and I immediately let my foot off the gas and let her coast down to 40. In roughly 10 seconds the gauge rapidly went back down to normal or "220." This exact same episode happened an hour later just before getting to Kansas City.
I stated that I took the car in to a the shop and was told that the car looked as if she's in good condition and saw no obvious leaks. They also mentioned that I was being paranoid or over concerened!? I'm not too sure about that...Anyways...

I did some reading...I read that highway overheating can be related to a few things...major being HGasket to water pump etc...but those seemed to be ok and figured my overheating issues wouldn't be so minor if any of those were to be the problem.
The fans seem to be working fine...but who knows...maybe they cut out? I also checked for debris, but for the most part I can see through the fins. The radiator shows no signs of leaks and one important note is the shop mentioned that it is hard to believe that the jeep overheated because there are no signs of overflow.
Another thread stated that my problem could be related to a bad radiator cap...also read that a clogged coolant line can cause heat up and rapid cool down...specifically the one leading to the bypass valve? Has something to do with the thermostat if I remember correctly.

Anyways, I would definitely like to figure out why these overheating episodes happend and also why my jeep is running at 220...even on short drives to the store....Oh and I forgot to mention that the jeep does idle slightly rough. It's around 700 so that's ok, but it oscilates ever so slightly. This makes me thinking a/f ratio...thermostat....burp radiator...too many options!

Based on the facts and the abrubtness over the overheating opisodes, I've narrowed down a few things I could do....in order

1. recheck the radiator cap or just buy a new one for safe measure
2. flush the system /fresh cooland/burp
3. Get new Stant 195* thermostat
4. Check coolant lines (this part I am iffy about as my mechanical experience is just bolt one and what not)

If anyone can give me any advice or suggestions on how to approach the issues, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks

Last edited by KChiefin29; 04-26-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

This is how your list should be:

1. Verify temperature with an infrared temp gun and not trust the crappy XJ gauges
2. buy a new radiator cap. They're cheap
3. flush the system /fresh cooland/burp. Put in new thermostat and radiator hoses while coolant is drained.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 PM

Engine: 4.0

Ok...so I got her all fixed up!

So anyways...I took an infrared temp gun to her and the gauge was off by 35-40*...
I think that everyone should take 1996sportxj's advice and check on the temps.

I did a compression test as well and all passed. I then had the system flushed...hoses actually look pretty darn good...almost "newer" looking. Next was the thermostat...
So this was the problem...it was almost stuck shut!

I replaced the thermostat/seal and temperature sensor. I took her on a cruise...roughly 100 miles and not once did she hit 210. About half a notch below at the hottest...I may consider a triple core radiator as there's a local one for sale...he wants $100...brand new.

You guys think it's worth it?

Anyways thnks 1996sportXJ. Currently planning on a 4.5" lift + wheels/tire, sound system, trim fender and fab some flares...get rid of all signs of exterior rust. I have a spot on the car that has a terrible fill job...its not very noticeable, but it;s definitely there. My buddy owns Tanner's Customs and offered to do a full paint job and restore for a great price....
I'd love to get rid of the small amounts of rust...though again, not very noticeable...but we all know that rust is like cancer.

I may start a build thread here in a bit....It may take a few months, but right now I'm about to install my sound system and talking to a local shop about lifts.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 HO

Glad to see it wasn't anything serious. Everyone sees overheating and 00 in the same sentence, I'm surprised there wasn't 5 pages of people telling you how you have the 0331 head and have fun replacing it. Lol

I want a triple core rad so bad. If there was one around me for that cheap I'd be all over it. Also just another tip, verify that your mechanical fan/clutch is in good shape and make sure that your auxiliary fan is functioning like it should!