Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

at a stopping point, where do i go next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default at a stopping point, where do i go next?

Locked front and rear, on 32x11.5 BFG muds. bds lift with lower control arms.
Rig goes where i want for the most part but i want to be able to do more.

I feel like tire size is my limiting factor now. and lack of power/no wheel speed.

I guess i'm at the point where i want 37s minimum. yeah, i nkow what that entails.
If i actually do get new axles to handle the tires, will regearing get me enough power?

As it is now, 4hi is almost worthless unless i'm on flat ground. so for hillclimbs, i have to do it in Low and then sometimes I can't get enough wheelspeed to get the tires to clear out.

The rig does very well for what i have in it, peopel are always surprised, but i think i'm ready for the next level.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by 19psi
Locked front and rear, on 32x11.5 BFG muds. bds lift with lower control arms.
Rig goes where i want for the most part but i want to be able to do more.

I feel like tire size is my limiting factor now. and lack of power/no wheel speed.

I guess i'm at the point where i want 37s minimum. yeah, i nkow what that entails.
If i actually do get new axles to handle the tires, will regearing get me enough power?

As it is now, 4hi is almost worthless unless i'm on flat ground. so for hillclimbs, i have to do it in Low and then sometimes I can't get enough wheelspeed to get the tires to clear out.

The rig does very well for what i have in it, peopel are always surprised, but i think i'm ready for the next level.
Regearing is going to help you out, obviously. But if you're going that big, I'd read around a little bit on Pirate and see what other people are doing.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

I'm ready to step up to the next level too but there's really no good way to go about it. I tell you what I've learned. If you can't do it on 35's you probably can't do it on 37's. with that minimal difference it's pure driver skill. So what you do is build the crap out of your D30 and stiffen up your uniframe and run 35's. keep it light keep it simple and go have fun. You'll go almost anywhere the big boys go. Then when you're truly ready to step up you'll know what you need you won't have to ask us. Just lurk around the Internet and read read read
Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 AM

By the same logic, if i can't do it on 32s, i probably can't on 35's either. that's only 1.5" of extra clearance. I think that if i do 35's, then i'll still want 37s, 38s, or even 40s becuase i always tend to wheel with bigger rigs and get stuck in ruts when my diffs drag while they drive right through.

Also, I think i'd rather have more wheelspeed than clearance and tire "ramp angle" anyway. we have so much mud and hill climbs around here that HP seems to be what makes the difference.
And if it comes down to HP, haha, i guess i need to get out of a jeep and into something that can actually make some power.

I pretty much know what's needed, i think i just wanted people to tell me to forget it and enjoy what i have becuae the money involved isnt' worth it.
my rig is a $500 beater with 140k miles on it. i trailer it everywhere and it doesn't have a straigt body panel on it.
I'm having trouble convincing myself that putting thousands of dollars into the axles, and drivetrain is a good idea.

i've been wheeling an xj for a long time and have done just about everything that's possible in it and it boils down to the fact that i'm bored!

The next level is on the horizon but i don't know if an XJ is the rig to use to get there.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Where you go off road at dirty turtle?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 PM

yeah if i want to go somewher eclose. otherwise, i've been to land between the lakes, and that one in Ashland.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

to answer your question, im about 100-150lbs shy of 2.5 tons empty, with 35s and 5.13s. i am beating the **** out of my jeep in 3rd to maintain 60 on mountain grades with a healthy, low miles motor and auto trans. i usually just relax my right foot and stay at 45. im not talking about interstate highway grades, those are no problem. on trails power is a non-issue, thats what low range is for.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 PM

IF you want 37s go straight to tons, trust me been there done that with the dana44 route. The price you think itll cost you to do the swap, double it cause you will get nickel and dimed out the ***
Old 10-01-2013, 03:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you still have the stock gears in it or have you changed them?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
to answer your question, im about 100-150lbs shy of 2.5 tons empty, with 35s and 5.13s. i am beating the **** out of my jeep in 3rd to maintain 60 on mountain grades with a healthy, low miles motor and auto trans. i usually just relax my right foot and stay at 45. im not talking about interstate highway grades, those are no problem. on trails power is a non-issue, thats what low range is for.
you're right, low range is ok for slow speed stuff, but I have a lot of muddy hillclimbs around here where you need some serioius wheel speed. Low just doesn't cut it. It crawls just fine but sometimes you need some *** to get up a hill.

Originally Posted by Jeepineasy
IF you want 37s go straight to tons, trust me been there done that with the dana44 route. The price you think itll cost you to do the swap, double it cause you will get nickel and dimed out the ***
That's what I'm thinking. may as well just go all out and be done with it.

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Do you still have the stock gears in it or have you changed them?
yeah they're stock gears. it crawls just fine and does the low speed stuff with no problem, but those muddy hillclimbs need wheelspeed.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

you're right, low range is ok for slow speed stuff, but I have a lot of muddy hillclimbs around here where you need some serioius wheel speed. Low just doesn't cut it. It crawls just fine but sometimes you need some *** to get up a hill.
No, you're wrong. Low is fine for that. My top speed in low is somewhere around 60mph... If you're spinning the tires faster than that and trying to climb you're not doing yourself any good.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 PM

I dont know man.... anytime i watch the guys successfully climb these hills, theyre in hi and taching it out. They have built v8s and seriously spin the tires. It's the only way to clear them out. the rest of us with low powered stock geared junk just watch in envy!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know man.... anytime i watch the guys successfully climb these hills, theyre in hi and taching it out. They have built v8s and seriously spin the tires. It's the only way to clear them out. the rest of us with low powered stock geared junk just watch in envy!
OK, . Let's see a picture of your jeep. Show us a picture, and we can better help you.

Because you ain't wheeling high range up steep hills with 37’s in a jeep. Its not happening.

And I could be wrong but I don't know any rig that runs high range successfully off road. I have seen some hill jacks in pick up trucks do it. While I sit and smell their tranny fluid burning.

And again with tons and 40's. High range ain't happening. No offense at all. But if you had 500hp for the tons and 40's in high range(which would be the minimum. What tranny will hold together? What clutch? And if that held what transfer case?

I appreciate your enthusiasm. But its not happening. High range is out. The larger tire you throw on there. The slower you will go. No matter the gearing. Rotational weight is against you.

My xj will pull second gear low range up hills. Going scary fast in my op. And I have 32's with stock gears. Fast enough that if you hit a bump you can't control it.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you live in Iceland?

You got to be talking formula off road.

ha, ha.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
No, you're wrong. Low is fine for that. My top speed in low is somewhere around 60mph... If you're spinning the tires faster than that and trying to climb you're not doing yourself any good.
I'm a bit confused here...60MPH in 4LO?? Why would you need to go that fast in 4 lo? That sounds crazy to me.

Quick Reply: at a stopping point, where do i go next?