Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

so I went out this weekend to see for myself how this v8 tie rod performs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default so I went out this weekend to see for myself how this v8 tie rod performs...

and I must say, it held up great!!!

should've changed the drag link while I was at it though

Old 05-03-2016, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

An improvement over the old stock worn ones for sure I bet. I know mine have worked out very well for me on the 33" tires and even on the 35's when I run that set on some trails.

There is a lot of difference in weight alone for the solid steel tre's and larger ends.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
An improvement over the old stock worn ones for sure I bet. I know mine have worked out very well for me on the 33" tires and even on the 35's when I run that set on some trails.

There is a lot of difference in weight alone for the solid steel tre's and larger ends.
yeah I have the feeling if I still had the stock tie rod when it happened I probably would've been in much bigger trouble. since both wheels were still connected together it helped a lot.

it was a pain even getting the drag link attached with the snapped tie rod end at the pitman arm, so I can't imagine with both wheels freely turning.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Cane
yeah I have the feeling if I still had the stock tie rod when it happened I probably would've been in much bigger trouble. since both wheels were still connected together it helped a lot. it was a pain even getting the drag link attached with the snapped tie rod end at the pitman arm, so I can't imagine with both wheels freely turning.
I've got a ZJ drag link laying in my garage if you want it.
Attached Thumbnails so I went out this weekend to see for myself how this v8 tie rod performs...-image-3675774155.jpg  
Old 05-03-2016, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

thanks but first thing when I got home was order parts on amazon to get it as soon as possible. it would've helped when I was out on the trail with no auto parts store opened on sunday, but now that it's my driveway, I'll just wait for the parts.

im located in canada so shipping alone would cost like half of new one I'm guessing!

Last edited by Cane; 05-03-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

I think you need a better spotter.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
I think you need a better spotter.
it's a long story, in summary my front diff was stuck in snow, 4 wheels spinning freely. my buddy had a strap but we didn't want to risk him getting stuck too. i was pretty far in a small incline.

we started shoveling but a buggy came by and I asked him if he could pull me out of this spot. My idea was to get out enough so I could regain traction and then continue shoveling until I got out, but it seems he had another idea in mind and pulled me pretty hard (it was a diesel buggy on 40s). ended up sideways with a wheel on a rock and he kept on pulling so it eventually snapped.

i take part of the responsibility because I'm the one who asked him for help, but the guy clearly didn't care much and wanted to get it over with.

lesson learned, and either way I needed to change the drag link, it was a matter of weeks or maybe a couple months.