Sponsored by: DashLynx

Salvage title Jeep XJ, worth the risk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6 H.O.
Default Salvage title Jeep XJ, worth the risk?

Hey guys, looking to buy a new XJ, I came across a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited in Flame red with 147K, perfect condition, only one minor dent on the tailgate, paint is fine and no rust I can see from pics. New Cooper AT tires, overhead console, grey leather seats, pretty much fully loaded minus a sun roof and heated seats. Running for about $5000 with handling and fees included from the dealer, this is in Colorado, so the resale is better than some states. Anyways as it says the title is salvage. Now I'm sure I will not ever need to buy another vehicle until this one is totaled or dies, so I'm ok with liability and issues trying to sell later. The owner of the private dealership told me the left sides cowl, front clip, hood and fender were all damaged and that they had their own certified tech replace and repaint the parts to match with their own in house ordered stock. He says they Do NOT take in cars with fire, flood, or any frame/major structural damage. So is this vehicle worth haggling on? I am going to inspect every gap, body line, frame, sub structure, galvanized area damage and everything in between. I will also be asking through the roof for paper work, a Carfax, before and after pics and the initial quote on the damage; and in regard try to talk him down solemnly. Thoughts? This is my first major purchase on a car, my dad will co-sign on my loan which would be at most $2000. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Erik Hoeffner; 04-17-2016 at 05:16 PM. Reason: moved
Old 04-17-2016, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

*moved*

Yeah I would go for it.
I bought a wrecked XJ, with salvage title and fixed it up. No issues, (because I knew what was done to it).

However yours doesn't sound too bad especially if it was inspected.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by XJwonders
*moved*

Yeah I would go for it.
I bought a wrecked XJ, with salvage title and fixed it up. No issues, (because I knew what was done to it).

However yours doesn't sound too bad especially if it was inspected.
Ok thanks for your input. I maybe should add this is going to be a DD, with some weekend offroading and camping involved, nothing too serious, might put a 2-3" lift on it at most.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:34 PM

How damaged does an XJs fender or front end have to be before it is questionable frame damage, if anyone can describe that? Lol
Old 04-17-2016, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Idk if they would even have before and after pics?
Old 04-17-2016, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Idk if they would even have before and after pics?
Well in regards to the damage after the collision and after the repair, I would hope, but yes its possible they won't. A reputable dealer that repairs vehicles themselves would surely take the time for their own sake and their customers assurance because picture evidence and the initial damage quote are two things that will go a long way to help convince your insurance for full coverage and will making selling the car again much easier. Not having picture evidence may be ok though, it just really depends on inspecting it and talking with the guy and see how hard he nudges to get rid of it. If he's desperate I'm out haha. Paperwork is basically a must though, I would like to see in text what the damage was described as and the repair quote.

Last edited by Erik Hoeffner; 04-17-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:29 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Personally, myself, I would never pay that kind of coin for a salvage title vehicle. I don't care if Jesus himself did the bodywork, once that title is designated "salvage", that's it....you don't PLAN on selling it, but things happen. Bottom line is, once it has that designation, price drops DRAMATICALLY. Not your problem if they put the money and effort into it, you can get an equally clean XJ, for less money, than what they're asking for a SALVAGE TITLE.

Got my XJ from a mom and pop lot in Denver. Paid $2300. 97 sport, with mods...most of which are now long gone as the PO was a hack.

Keep looking. You'll find a better value. Be patient, buy smart, and don't be fooled or suckered by looks.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:47 PM

Engine: I6

Nice looking XJ, but it is overpriced for a salvage title. Check the engine, all fluids, and undercarriage. Blast the heat and a/c. Drive it on the street over potholes and on the highway >60 over uneven surfaces. Also, test drive the 4 x4. Finally, bring a magnetic and test the repair areas for metal.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:02 PM

I guess I made a minor overlook ( I think) it actually says the title is 'rebuild from salvage' not just "salvage" in itself. Not sure if the title alternative matters much...as I said above if you read the entire description, the damage described to me was thoroughly cosmetic and I implied basically that I don't plan to resell it given the damage described lives up. It really doesnt seem that extreme in price. Cosmetic, not drive train /non frame damage type salvage is workable. If I crash my XJ today on some ice and there was the same damage and I was told it would be $1000 to fix it, well of course I'm going to be more likely to just let it go to insurance, mine is worth $1500 at most. Thats the catch now; XJs are getting older and salvage titles are thrown at them for nothing. Saw an '01 on an auction site with 97k, deemed "salvage" because it was stolen and needed a new ignition and all 4 tires with rims. But the bid I could have placed was like $800 and it has only a few days left. Thats complete savings IMO, put another $1500 into it and you just bought a $2300 XJ last year of production. Yeah its got a salvage title, but who cares for $2300 with 97k. These are mostly just my opinions though.

Last edited by Erik Hoeffner; 04-17-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:33 PM

Call an orange a banana if you want to...but a salvage title is a salvage title...no way I'd pay 5K
Old 04-17-2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Call an orange a banana if you want to...but a salvage title is a salvage title...no way I'd pay 5K
Thanks for your input previously BTW. How much would you pay assuming everything described about it stands and there are no other major issues...?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

No trust worthy source will put a value on a branded title vehicle. Your institution providing the financing may not loan money on it.
In the end that Jeep is gonna be like a hot chick with herpes, lonely.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
No trust worthy source will put a value on a branded title vehicle. Your institution providing the financing may not loan money on it.
Yeah if my bank wont loan me the money then it will probably be my answer for buying or not; if I can't even get a loan for $1500 to apply towards it, then yeah, thats just hassle that isn't worth it because that would be the only sum of money I would need about... We'll see, waiting on a full VIN report, I have an appointment to look at it as soon as they open tomorrow, so I'll use my XJ knowledge, general auto body knowledge and the report I get to break down this XJ, and see what exactly happened first off. If I get a shady desperate to sell attitude ill leave regardless, but if he works with me and had some paperwork I really dont see this as a bad buy, especially once I talk him down a bit (that's not even a question this IS overpriced). Again for me, I already drive a hail damaged liability only XJ with 263 on the clock, I'm not concerned with resale, why would i want to sell an XJ? Drive the wheels off! Lol. Forgot to mention, price includes dealer and handling fees; never bought from a dealer before so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Last edited by Erik Hoeffner; 04-17-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Erik Hoeffner
Thanks for your input previously BTW. How much would you pay assuming everything described about it stands and there are no other major issues...?
No more than 1K...it will be hard to finance, as well as insure....some companies won't touch it. And resale? FUHGEDABOUDIT
Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Best. Analogy. EVER.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:16 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Erik Hoeffner
How damaged does an XJs fender or front end have to be before it is questionable frame damage, if anyone can describe that? Lol
I don't know exactly, but I can tell you from second hand experience that they can be hit really really hard and not damage the frame's structural integrity. My brother has a 96' xj and he hit a 2 1/2 yr old 6pt buck almost exclusively in the driver side fender and destroyed it. As far as the frame goes, it's perfectly fine. We've bought a replacement fender and "new"(used) front bumper and front grille and it drives fine. And when I say the fender was destroyed, it was pushed so far into the wheel well it would only turn so far, and the little turning it did do was met with loudness coming from the oh so wonderful sound of rubbing tire metal stuff.

Last edited by 1989MichJeep; 04-18-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Salvage title Jeep XJ, worth the risk?