Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 HO
Default To snorkel or not to snorkel

Hey guys..

Lil dilemma here, i think i want to snorkel my rig but...

Its a 00 so i have the coil rail and whatnot. Im pretty sure i can water proof it but im sure its going to be a PITA. I like the look of em and i really think it will prove worthwhile since i am in jersey and the pines are FULL of deep,deep water. I dont want to have issues following other rigs, or in any situation for that matter.
Im looking at a couple on ebay. Yeah, im sure the ARB is superior but at the end of the day.. its just plastic. And after looking at the ARB in detail some of the cheaper options arent that far off. Im going to make this functional with the hopes that i never have to do that deep haha.

I dont want to go with the cowl snorkel. If im gonna do it im just going to have the obnoxious tubing on the side lol. Any tips for install or tips on waterproofing my 00s system. I know the norm- die electric grease it all and make everything in the intake air/water tight.. but any tips are welcome.

(I tried searching, but didnt come up with much at all on regular snorkel systems. Saw plenty on DIY and cowl setups though.)

A couple detailed pics of your snorkels would be cool too. (Again, not looking for DYI or cowl snorkels. Nothing against them.. just not the route im looking to go thats all)
Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

One more Q: And this is going to sound dumb but im going for it. How does water not get into the spout of the snorkel. I mean like rain water or splashing mud/water. I mean i guess chances are it wont get in there but ive honestly always wondered.

Usually the spouts are facing toward the front of the rig and i can see rain water going in esp when cruising down the road. Just curious on this. It would BLOW to have a snorkel, be able to go in water up to the roof, and then bend a valve becasue a rogue rain droplet found its way into the intake lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

There's a vendor on the forum who sells snorkels for $120 with free shipping. Granted, it's from China, but it's a nice price for a pretty quality product. I couldn't justify $350+ for plastic that sticks out and could get knocked off if I was unlucky that day. The guy is great, wonderful customer service and fast shipping (for it coming from China). Definitely check it out.

And I'm not very experienced with snorkels, but generally you'd want to run a filter. Going to the stock air box is nice. So you won't have to worry about rain getting into the intake. Then in certain situations/weather, just turn the head.

Also, here's a pic of it: To snorkel or not to snorkel-bvvpz.jpg

There's some Chinese lettering on it, but it's nothing a little sanding and bed liner can't solve.

Last edited by 92XJGuy; 04-02-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
There's a vendor on the forum who sells snorkels for $120 with free shipping. Granted, it's from China, but it's a nice price for a pretty quality product. I couldn't justify $350+ for plastic that sticks out and could get knocked off if I was unlucky that day. The guy is great, wonderful customer service and fast shipping (for it coming from China). Definitely check it out.

And I'm not very experienced with snorkels, but generally you'd want to run a filter. Going to the stock air box is nice. So you won't have to worry about rain getting into the intake. Then in certain situations/weather, just turn the head.

Also, here's a pic of it:

There's some Chinese lettering on it, but it's nothing a little sanding and bed liner can't solve.
I saw that one on ebay. The one that i found though actyally doesnt have the writing on it. ( Even though i agree no big deal) And it also is 120 +free shipping.

Did you just make a template for it yourself? I dont think the cheaper kits looked like they came with one. I like the fact that it ties into the factory air box. Im sure a nice K&N oiled filter in the factory box would shed any rain water that might find its way down there also.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The head of the snorkel is made to let water out a tiny bit might get in but the air filter will catch it.They do make a pre filter for a snorkel for fine dirt and dust http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-cherokee-snorkel.html.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

when i decided to put my snorkel on, i didn't do it to go fording through deep rivers or anything. it's just for added insurance because i've dipped the front end in so many times and i thought i was just lucky. i didn't want to risk it any longer.

i've been in deep before and have never worried about my electricals, i've been fine or lucky.

still not gonna go looking for deep water, it's just in case i dip too deep, i have that extra minute to decide what i'm gonna do.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I went with a cowl snorkel. I am good until the water starts going over the steering wheel. And I don't want that ever to happen. I can ford about 4ft of water. That's plenty.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by caged
when i decided to put my snorkel on, i didn't do it to go fording through deep rivers or anything. it's just for added insurance because i've dipped the front end in so many times and i thought i was just lucky. i didn't want to risk it any longer.

i've been in deep before and have never worried about my electricals, i've been fine or lucky.

still not gonna go looking for deep water, it's just in case i dip too deep, i have that extra minute to decide what i'm gonna do.
Exactly the same reason I'm thinking about doing it to mine. I'd say 7/10 rigs out in the pines have some type of snorkel setup bc like I said it gets deep quick out there.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
The head of the snorkel is made to let water out a tiny bit might get in but the air filter will catch it.They do make a pre filter for a snorkel for fine dirt and dust http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-cherokee-snorkel.html.
Thanks for the link. I found a very similar pre filter on ebay too. Look like the only thing I can't find on ebay is the template for mounting the tubing to the fender.

Last edited by NewJerseyXJ609; 04-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.