Sleeping in the back?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 L
Default Sleeping in the back?

Hey guys! I got a ride over to Cecil Webb coming up on 10 DEC with the South Florida Jeep Club. I don't have any camping gear except for a like self inflating cushion from Coleman I think and a sleeping bag. So, what's the best way y'all have found to sleep in the XJ? Whether it be the front or the back? I'm 6' if that makes any difference (which I know it will). We will essentially be in the everglades so it will be buggy. Thinking cracked windows and taped on screen.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

I fold down the rear seats and sleep back there fine.. you just have to measure it out... put your spare tire on the roof to make yourself have more room... and tint your rear windows put a sunshaade in the windshield to keep it cool.... I also crack the windows so i got vent visors they seem to keep the bugs out as well as the rain... and keep the air follow coming in... it is very doable
Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 AM

Engine: 4.0

If you want to be in the XJ with doors closed you will probably need to sleep in the front seat. If I am laying down I need to stretch out and the back of the XJ isnt long enough.

I just opened the window and closed a towel in the door to keep bugs out and let some air flow through. a screen would probably have worked better.

Not the best nights sleep I have ever had, but will do in a pinch.

If you have the luxury of planning, a single man tent with a ground mat would be better and not too expensive
Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

Be able to leave the rear hatch open and screened, and just cushion the floor after you fold the seats down. my guess youll probably have to sleep with your knees bent a little
Old 11-27-2011, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

full tank of gas let it run all night with the ac on only way...and warm female with ya
Old 11-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

Im 5' 7" and the back works perfect for me but I think im about the max height because that's only if I sleep diagonal. I would also recommend bringing a tent, its just a lot better
Old 11-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
full tank of gas let it run all night with the ac on only way...and warm female with ya

When I put the lift on my jeep I told my wife we needed to have sex in the back to "break in the springs" so I could torque them properly

She almost believed me, but chickened out at the last minute
Old 11-27-2011, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

if you idle the jeep all night with the a/c on, it will overheat.

what i do is remove the bottom of the rear seat and leave that at home, then fold the back part down. this will give you another 10-12 inches of headroom.

i wish i could go camping in december and worry about the heat and/or bugs. lol. i'm too busy shoveling snow.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by caged

i wish i could go camping in december and worry about the heat and/or bugs. lol. i'm too busy shoveling snow.
yeh that sounds right lol

im 6' and i can sleep in the back comfortably...when i fold the rear seat down, i wedge it on an angle with something, like a piece of wood or a rock...it makes it more comfortable i think...i just sleep in a sleeping bag with the windows cracked
Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by The Rooster
I fold down the rear seats and sleep back there fine.. you just have to measure it out... put your spare tire on the roof to make yourself have more room... and tint your rear windows put a sunshaade in the windshield to keep it cool.... I also crack the windows so i got vent visors they seem to keep the bugs out as well as the rain... and keep the air follow coming in... it is very doable
All thew windows are tinted legally for the state of FL. And yeah, once we are done wheeling, that sun shade'll go up. They usually bon fire so there will be time for the rig to cool off. No vent visors nor do I wanna spend the money on 'em.

Originally Posted by mdcmn7
If you want to be in the XJ with doors closed you will probably need to sleep in the front seat. If I am laying down I need to stretch out and the back of the XJ isnt long enough.

I just opened the window and closed a towel in the door to keep bugs out and let some air flow through. a screen would probably have worked better.

Not the best nights sleep I have ever had, but will do in a pinch.

If you have the luxury of planning, a single man tent with a ground mat would be better and not too expensive
I have no problem curling up when I sleep. I usually do anyways. But I've napped in the front seat and it wasn't that bad. I'm a tosser and turner so I'd roll off onto the center console

Why would you not just close the door? I'm confused '

And I have the luxury of planning it's the lack of funds and lack of equipment. I'd rather spend the money on gas than a tent that I really won't use.

Originally Posted by Rhutchinson609
Be able to leave the rear hatch open and screened, and just cushion the floor after you fold the seats down. my guess youll probably have to sleep with your knees bent a little
I dunno if I'll have enough screen material. On a budget sadly. Thats why I though a little bit for all four windows. And I sleep knees bent anyways.

Originally Posted by freegdr
Won't the A/C Condenser freeze over at that point?

Originally Posted by mdcmn7

When I put the lift on my jeep I told my wife we needed to have sex in the back to "break in the springs" so I could torque them properly

She almost believed me, but chickened out at the last minute

Originally Posted by caged
if you idle the jeep all night with the a/c on, it will overheat.

what i do is remove the bottom of the rear seat and leave that at home, then fold the back part down. this will give you another 10-12 inches of headroom.

In some of the other posts I read on NAXJA they said the same thing about the rear seat. Just pull it out.

It's kinda nice. Supposed to dip into the low 50's high 40's and everyone is *****ing and moaning.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

well if you have screen use that instead of vent visors... your good..
Old 11-27-2011, 10:31 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

I'll loan ya a tent.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
I'll loan ya a tent.
Okay. I'll scoop it up when I come up this weekend.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Seasoned Member

my xj has plenty of room to sleep in the back. Im 6 foot 195 pounds and my girl is 5'2'' and 113 pounds and we have plenty of room. Maybe we are use to my old wrx wagon, that **** was not fun to sleep in.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

I slept in the back for 3 nights when I went to Butler PA. Had to option to sleep in a pop-up camper but chose my xj instead. Slept like a baby,even through the lighting storm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sleeping in the back?