Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

sell or repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default sell or repair?

Well CF im facing a bit of a quandary. My 88 XJ keeps throwing me curveballs and im not sure whether to try and sell it or to keep fixing it up. Heres the info on the jeep:
1988 cherokee 4dr 4wd
Peugeot 5 speed tranny (which is failing)
4.5 RC lift kit
31x10.5x15 BFG all terrains
The lift and tires are the only major upgrades

But im having some problems. I first got the jeep from my grandaddy when i turned 15. It had been sitting in a driveway for about 8 years when i got it so of course there were some issues. The biggest issue is the transmission failing, but theres also bad floor board rust, the fuel injectors and fuel pump leak like faucets, brakes need replacing, it wont start sometimes, and a few other minor things. The problem is that im stil in highschool and im not makin a whole lot if money. Nor do i have much time on my hands because the semester just started. So the question is should i sell it, save my money for a while and buy the cleanest XJ (or tj or yj) i can find, or should i fix all the current problems and hope nothing else goes wrong?

Thanks for your advice, Joel.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:56 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Describe "trans is failing".
Old 08-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Describe "trans is failing".
Peugeot BA10...not much more to say than that. any parts to repair that trans (if you can still get em) will quickly out weigh the worth of the jeep....or two jeeps of the same year, hands down the probably least desirable trans AMC/jeep ever used.

May want to think about parting it out and keeping the lift and tires for the next jeep. If the floor is rusted out the body is worth nothing other than the doors, hood and hatch. To repair the body correctly is a ton of work (I've done it) the rest of the problems sound pretty fixable if you have the tools and knowledge to do it your self. The question in the end is whats it worth.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96
If the floor is rusted out the body is worth nothing other than the doors, hood and hatch. To repair the body correctly is a ton of work (I've done it) the rest of the problems sound pretty fixable if you have the tools and knowledge to do it your self. The question in the end is whats it worth.

X2, The floor would be the determining factor, swapping in an AX-15 is (relatively) simple comparatively (Note: you would also need the matching transfer-case for the AX-15 or will need to swap the input shaft on yours).
Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

The real question is, how much do you love her?

My buddy just picked up a 91 4-door 5 speed for $600 and we welded all new floors in it. Took a month or so but we did it, never having done it before. It only costed him the price of two spools of welding wire, bondo, and paint.

Not sure how hard the trans swap would be, maybe you could research that farther. The other things such are all pretty easily fixed, just the price of parts.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

personally, id never be able to give up a family vehicle from my grandfather...but im a sentimental person with objects (my parents say im gonna end up on a hoarding show haha) and id be afraid of letting my grandfather down selling a gift...But its your jeep. Id see about swapping in a new transmission and fixing it up...if you have a job it shouldnt be that hard to save up for repairs. it would take longer to save for a clean wrangler than it would to fix this jeep...belive me when i say most wranglers for sale under 3 or 4 k are rusted out projects...but you may be able to find a clean xj cheap
Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

If you don't take care of the fuel leak the decision will be made for you.