SEARCH!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default SEARCH!

Ok i know we have all been newbs at one point and been guilty of posting before searching but seriously lately i would swear the search feature is broken or something cause it seems to be every other week there are multiple repeat threads about the same ****.

For those that dont know how the search works and havent read the stickies here ya go. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/how-search-18182/

there is also GOOGLE, its a wonderful thing and even has pictures.

Now this isnt saying you shouldnt ask questions but some of them are so bloody simple its obvious you havent even bothered to search. Hell ive gotten emails saying there is a response and because ive answered the same questions in multiple threads on the same subject in a few week time frame i have to read back and figure out which particular thread im in. Sorry for the rant but im sure im not the only one who has noticed this and been slightly annoyed at it.

Lastly i know this isnt necessarily cherokee chat but its in regards to the lack of search going on in the tech section and if people are not searching in the first place i know for a fact they arent reading anywhere else so i figure here is a decent place for this, still where they may be looking but not clogging the tech department.

Last edited by mud-dog27; 12-25-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix

i type in google" site:cherokeeforum.com [whatever i need to find]"
Old 12-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by NorCalJeep
i type in google" site:cherokeeforum.com [whatever i need to find]"
+1 I do the same! That's the best way to search I think!
Old 12-25-2011, 04:28 PM

yea i find it helps narrow out the crap if you add a forum name in with the search
Old 12-25-2011, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

iv been on this forum for quite some time now and iv seen this issue come up time after time.. this is the first time iv ever seen the sticky telling you how to use the advanced search. so before starting this post i went and tried using the advanced search option and too my surprise what happens?? the same exact BS that happens for the regualr search. i type in steering box brace and im looking at 18 pages worth of threads. more then half dont even mention nor talk about steering box braces they just have one of those key words in it. unless i am still missing something here i dont see why ppl on this forum defend our search button when it sucks the biggest D*** it possibly could. so for all of you who yell at so called "newbs" for not searching.. maybe if searching actually worked ppl would do it. im more then ok with the fact our search button isnt the best thats why its a forum where questions are supposed too be asked im just sick of all the ppl who bash on ppl who ask questions then harrass them telling them they shoulda searched the topic first.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Searching means just that....searching. Have some patience and read some threads. Not all, but look for ones specifically under the fab section heading or the write up heading. A lot of it is having a good idea of where to look.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by clayton3854
iv been on this forum for quite some time now and iv seen this issue come up time after time.. this is the first time iv ever seen the sticky telling you how to use the advanced search. so before starting this post i went and tried using the advanced search option and too my surprise what happens?? the same exact BS that happens for the regualr search. i type in steering box brace and im looking at 18 pages worth of threads. more then half dont even mention nor talk about steering box braces they just have one of those key words in it. unless i am still missing something here i dont see why ppl on this forum defend our search button when it sucks the biggest D*** it possibly could. so for all of you who yell at so called "newbs" for not searching.. maybe if searching actually worked ppl would do it. im more then ok with the fact our search button isnt the best thats why its a forum where questions are supposed too be asked im just sick of all the ppl who bash on ppl who ask questions then harrass them telling them they shoulda searched the topic first.
X2 the reason we are all here is to talk about jeeps look at jeeps and help each other out. So what if the question is asked 30 times by 30 people. Don't read it and reply then if you don't like it. I've been a member of naxja along time and they pull the same crap there. Do we really have anything better to do if we are on here? You might end up running someone off with good input and knowledge one day because they were a "stupid newb" who couldn't use the search button and you gripe about it . I swear to jeep you guys should give it a rest on the search button. It's a Cherokee forum, as long as it pertains to that then ask all you want. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2011, 07:49 PM

Year: 1999

if this place had sub forums inside the forums it would make life a heck of a lot easier.
I am an Admin on another forum and we broke it down to make searching easier.IE: detail forum, off topic, showroom,garage,wheel and tire,events and gatherings, info-base,mobile electronics and the infamous black hole for heated topics(politics and such)just to name off a quick few. Being an Admin there since 2005 I learned how to streamline it.
But you do get a lot of people that will still ask and I will just point them to a forum or provide a link, my favorites are filled with the most common questions asked. I will post a link then let them know to search and usually it all goes well after that.
The forum just switched to VB5 and I totally hate it and so do all the users there..place went downhill after the "upgrade"
autoguide.com bought the site and we wanted to but the owner was a real azz* about it.

have you ever searched suspension, lights, or any popular topic question on here.. it takes me a while to find stuff and I know what I am doing.
Too much info and not a targeted search

Tagging threads works but this version of VB does not have that option if I recall.

end of the longwind

Last edited by Scott_Sport99; 12-25-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I was looking for information about swapping Dana 44 axles from a full size jeep. Used the search feature and sure enough I found the info, and a member to help me out with install, mounting/parts to make the axle fit.

THANKS SEARCH FEATURE
Old 12-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Year: 97+

Originally Posted by clayton3854
X 10000000 I agree completely! The search feature leaves much to be desired. That said, it is what we are all here for, the community and the ability to help each other out. I agree that it does get annoying and I have seen some posts in places that they weren't even relevant to the subject. Honestly, both the Original Poster and clayton3854 are correct, it is just something we will have to deal with.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:29 PM

ok i will admit that the search on this forum isnt the best but it sure as hell isnt the worst, there one civic forum im on where the search turns up pages of completely irrelevant crap no matter what you search but that isnt an issue cause i dont rely solely on that to answer my questions.

heres another thread from this forum but explaining how to get better results with google.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f30/se...-search-56367/

as for the 30 question by 30 people, the reason some of us get annoyed with it is it clogs the forums with repeated questions on basic crap that is usually easily found with a little searching, the how-to section on XJs alone here is 7 pages with a crap load of good info on questions i have seen asked a dozen times. To those who have submitted those write-ups good on ya cause its great info.

As for peoples feelings getting hurt, get some thicker skin.