Sand Wheeling Advice???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '92
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Sand Wheeling Advice???

So in a week or so I will be heading up to the Silver Lake sand dunes with a bunch of friends. This will be my first time up there.

I have hit a little sand in some of the parks that I have been too, but nothing like the dunes.

I was told that my M/T tires would be fine as long as I air them down to around 8 to 10 lbs.

Also, since its there are lots of hills I have been debating on discoing my sway bar when I'm there.

I have done a lot of trail riding, mud, tree crawling, and some rocks.

So, any good advice on wheeling in the sand?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97

i'll say i went to silverlake with mud terrains a few weeks ago, and couldnt climb anything. they dont like to float over the sand, they like to dig into the sand. i tried pressures ranging from 20 psi all the way down to around 9.5 and i know i had alot of trouble climbing up the big hills. i made a attempt to climb exit hill on the side that wasnt sooo tall and i made it all but 10 ft up the hill and had to back down (not a fun experience) so.... maybe your tires will work better then mine, but i wasnt pleased with them. in everything else though, the mud terrains do a excellent job
Old 07-09-2009, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Air your tires down and much as you SAFELY can. With MTs I would suggest 5-8 PSI. Don't cause yourself to lose a beed though. Drive in 4HI as much as you can. Going to 4LO will cause your Jeep to want to dig rather than float.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Sand is absolutely a blast. Keep your sway bar connected, you will need it. You will find everything happens at higher speed on the sand. M/Ts will do OK, but street tires or slick tires do better. Air them down till you get a good squish out of them. The idea is to not disturb the sand under the tires if at all possible. You want to stay on top and avoid digging holes. If you do start digging holes with your tires, back off and figure out why. Go up hill in 4WD and down hill in 2WD. Let the back tires dig in to slow you down and then you will maintain better control heading down the steep dunes. Don't be afraid to get plenty of momentum when heading up the steep ones, you may need it to make it to the top.

Don't forget to grease everything well afterwards, especially your CV joints on the driveshafts.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

P.S.

If you want to come up with a cheap set of sand tires then find the local circle track guys and get their used slicks, big as you can get and mount them on some cheap steel rims. Straight ribbed ag tires work well also.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

damn i didnt think about lowering my tires that much, but i know the lower i went the better they got, i also didnt think about the 4hi thing, i kept it in lowrange the whole time out there
Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

whats the point in putting the transfer case in 2wd when backing down a hill??? maybe im just not seeing the logic
Old 07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Seasoned Member

this is my tires at 9.5 psi, i guess im gonna have to try lower next time
Attached Thumbnails Sand Wheeling Advice???-6-12-09-silverlake-ludington-pictures-012-resized.jpg  
Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Yeah, I was actually taught the 4HI trick by a guy when snow wheeling but, anything that helps you float works good in deep snow and sand.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrawlnCoupe
whats the point in putting the transfer case in 2wd when backing down a hill??? maybe im just not seeing the logic
Sorry, not backing, but going forward. The back tires dig in and allow good steering and control as you descend. Use 4WD when backing down, unless you have and atlas, in which case you kick out the rear end.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Sorry, not backing, but going forward. The back tires dig in and allow good steering and control as you descend. Use 4WD when backing down, unless you have and atlas, in which case you kick out the rear end.
ok, i'm looking for any advice available for backing down a hill so.... its a very akward feeling to have to back down a hill were you have very little control. next time i go up there im gonna have to try lower pressure and 4hi. i figured 4lo would be better on the trans so i just left it in lowrange.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrawlnCoupe
ok, i'm looking for any advice available for backing down a hill so.... its a very akward feeling to have to back down a hill were you have very little control. next time i go up there im gonna have to try lower pressure and 4hi. i figured 4lo would be better on the trans so i just left it in lowrange.
Just don't lock the wheels with the brakes. Keep the tires rolling. When you get near the bottom you can let it roll.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just up there in my '79 Bronco. Way too heavy to be any fun. Have not tried the 'ol Jeep yet. But with the MT, you will need to air them down. And they are going to dig in.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
M/Ts will do OK, but street tires or slick tires do better. Air them down till you get a good squish out of them. The idea is to not disturb the sand under the tires if at all possible. You want to stay on top and avoid digging holes.
I thought paddle tires would do better not slicks?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:12 PM

Year: 1998

assuming its similar to the sand we got out here at the Impereal Sand dunes, then 8-10 psi has always worked for me. I have done it both with and without the sway bar hooked up and I prefer it better with it hooked up.
I didn't make it out to Glamis this year and I only went once last year so I'm jealous that you are getting some sand time. Have fun.

Oh, I keep it in 2wd pretty much all the time unless I get stuck then I pop it in 4wd to get free. I do use 4hi on the long hills, I can't remember ever using 4lo, momentum works well in the sand.

what an ancient picture.

Last edited by cw50must; 03-15-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: pic

Quick Reply: Sand Wheeling Advice???