Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

RK 3-link with Stiffeners

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RK 3-link with Stiffeners

Ok, i got an email from Interco earlier stating the Q78's wont be avaliable until march/april, so for now, im gonna use the extra money to lift the XJ. My plans are to order the Rock Krawler 3-link for the front, but ive been wondering, is anyone here running the RK 3-link with unibody stiffeners?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 AM

Is no one here even running the RK 3-Link?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Swamp Donkey
Is no one here even running the RK 3-Link?
Guess not
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

my buddy runs the rk 3 link with home made angle iron stiffeners but he just notched around the long arm brackets on both sides so i dont know if that helps but i must say the rk 3 link is sweet it flexes like mad i wish i would have bought one
Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

I'm running the IRO kit and don't have frame stiffeners. I haven't noted any damage yet...
Old 01-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: Multi

Ok, i got an email from Interco earlier stating the Q78's wont be avaliable until march/april, so for now, im gonna use the extra money to lift the XJ. My plans are to order the Rock Krawler 3-link for the front, but ive been wondering, is anyone here running the RK 3-link with unibody stiffeners?
My EXACT set up..............
The RK three link is virtually ungreaseable, RK suggests it to be lubed with 3-in-1 oil....now mines an early generation 3 link, but the newer generations are about the same.....I'm told by other owners, failure rate is low, although expect to replace the meatball joint (bolts in) every so often, flex is crazy, you'll want to keep your front sway bar available, I trussed my front axle.

Q~78's.......Well, they speak for themselves.

Frame stiffener.....Drivers side upper control arm relocation will not be friendly with most stiffeners, mines being modified, doubt it will work with the wrap around style stiffener......

Does that help?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2/318 MSD Electronic Upgrades

There is a guy here locally that runs the RK 3Lnk setup with stiffeners. I'm sorry that I have no pics of his setup but I can tell you he BEATS on it every time its out. He seems to love it. I can vouch that it works great, no problems anywhere. As far as flex goes.... WOW! I wish I had the money and willingness to do it to mine. Its pretty sweet!

Hes running the 35" Trxus SS. Every time someone asks about it I always hear him say good things. (other than the price)
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Detour
My EXACT set up..............
The RK three link is virtually ungreaseable, RK suggests it to be lubed with 3-in-1 oil....now mines an early generation 3 link, but the newer generations are about the same.....I'm told by other owners, failure rate is low, although expect to replace the meatball joint (bolts in) every so often, flex is crazy, you'll want to keep your front sway bar available, I trussed my front axle.

Q~78's.......Well, they speak for themselves.

Frame stiffener.....Drivers side upper control arm relocation will not be friendly with most stiffeners, mines being modified, doubt it will work with the wrap around style stiffener......

Does that help?
Yes this does help. I seen over on Pirate i do believe where a guy swapped the RK joints with Ballistic joints.. Ill probably chop all the factory mounts off. Cant ever tell the changes my XJ may see in the next few years.. But once it gets 3-linked, it wont ever go back to being short arm, period.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L HO

Yes this does help. I seen over on Pirate i do believe where a guy swapped the RK joints with Ballistic joints.. Ill probably chop all the factory mounts off. Cant ever tell the changes my XJ may see in the next few years.. But once it gets 3-linked, it wont ever go back to being short arm, period.

you have to cut the mounts off anyways for the 3 link.

its what im running as well:

hard to see, but here are the RK mounts on the stiffeners. i had to grind down the inner pinch seam on the unibody rails. didnt take long. i also just welded mine on...