Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Reporting on 2014 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Reporting on 2014 Cherokee

Hi. I'm an auto writer with The Associated Press in Detroit and I'm doing a story on the 2014 Cherokee. I'd like to talk to some Jeep fans about whether you like it or not. If you're interested, my name is Dee-Ann Durbin and my email is ddurbin@ap.org. Thank you.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Dee-Ann, you will be getting a LONG email from me.

I used to work for one of the largest media companies in the US (Walter E Hussman) in marketing. I know the ropes of the newspaper industry.

Matter of fact, if your interested in getting my words you are more than welcome to PM me and ill shoot you my telephone number and we can have a talk.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

LOL
Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Oh his should be interesting
Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

She's got some crazy nerves bringing that thing here that's for sure
Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Guys, she is just a reporter.. not a 2014 Jeep Salesperson. Lay off haha..

I just sent a HUGE email..with a ton of "My Story" in the Jeep scene. I feel like I can represent the views of a majority of us well.. I wont let you all down.. haha!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Lol. Yea, there a few threads on here full of XJers opinions on that "Cherokee"

Represent XJ88
Old 03-21-2013, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 HO

Suscribed. Lemme go grab the popcorn fellas.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Xj88
Guys, she is just a reporter.. not a 2014 Jeep Salesperson. Lay off haha..

I just sent a HUGE email..with a ton of "My Story" in the Jeep scene. I feel like I can represent the views of a majority of us well.. I wont let you all down.. haha!
You just saved me alot of typing. Lol
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by NewJerseyXJ609
You just saved me alot of typing. Lol
SUBBED! I know you'll do us right XJ88!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

You know you wanna copy and paste that email here
Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Old School CF Moderator

I will.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Here:

Dee-Ann.

First ill introduce myself. My name is David Silecchia, I reside in North West Georgia. I am a full-time college student, an IT professional, and a Jeep addict.

A little about my history in Jeeps:
From a very young age 4 wheel drives in general were very appealing to me. My childhood was filled with me creating dirt obstacles in the back yard and “driving” my Jeep hotwheels/matchboxes over the obstacles, something my young mind found very pleasurable. My first vehicle was one passed down to me by my father, far from a Jeep, however that’s besides the point. At 17 I moved out on my own, and in my free time (despite not owning a Jeep) I did extensive research on Jeeps, and the plethora of aftermarket support they had. Like many other late-teen boys I was convinced a Jeep Wrangler was my calling..I could just imagine myself with the top down cruising the streets. After selling a vehicle that was passed down to me I began to scour the internet in search of the perfect Jeep. After some disappointment I went to look at a 1988 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) with my father. The vehicle was in pristine condition despite having 230k on the original 4.0L I6 engine. After a short test drive I was convinced. Upon hoping in it was like an instant connection, man and machine. Needless to say, I purchased it..for the whopping price of 1800 dollars. Knowing a bit about the Cherokee platform I decided it had potential and I sought to modify it in a way I saw fitting. A few months went buy and in came the packages, a roof basket, a small (3 inch) lift kit, tires, wheels, and a few other miscellaneous pieces. My mechanical knowledge was very limited at this time, however, after hours studying YouTube videos I was convinced I could tear into the suspension project on my own. So, with as few tools as I had I began tearing into the Jeep. I spent countless hours working on that thing, swapping in a new axle, re-doing the suspension even after the first lift, adding armor, and fixing things that had fallen apart over the jeeps 22 years of life, even painted the Jeep myself. After some long debating I concluded that I would really like to enjoy the comfort features of a newer Jeep XJ (97+), in particular the more comfortable/modern interior. So, I sold my 1988 model. Watching the thing pull out of my driveway knowing I would most likely never see it again hit me hard, seriously..many think that a connection between someone and a vehicle is unreal, I can confirm that is false. Shortly after I went on the hunt again for a newer Cherokee, something a bit more sleek, while still maintaining the ruggedness of the XJ platform, which brought me to the purchase of my 1998 XJ. Again, a couple thousand dollars later, a few weeks, and blood, sweat and tears, it was complete with a 4.5” Rubicon Express Super Duty Lift Kit, and 33” tires (not to mention tons of other upgrades). At the time of all of these upgrades I had gained an extensive knowledge of the Jeep XJ Platform, primarily from an online forum based specifically on the Cherokee Platform (www.cherokeeforum.com). I spent hour after hour on that site, learning and conversing with other Cherokee lovers..after around a year and a half of being on the site I was offered a position as the South Eastern Regional Moderator of Cherokee Forum.com. Having the ability to log on and see new people entering the Jeep addiction was a great feeling, another piece of the addiction for me. I still regular the site to this day ,and spend hours every week on the site helping and learning from other members (CF is truly a great family site for anything related to the XJ platform). Back to my jeeps… Held onto the 1998 XJ for around 8 months, when I made a quick, stupid decision..trading it for a Toyota. The Toyota was appealing in that it was built to rock crawl, a very inpractical daily driver..but I could care less it was “cool.” Before too long I realized the comfort and all around utility of the Toyota was far inferior to that of the Cherokee. I decided to sell the Toyota and hunt down yet another XJ. This time I knew I wanted a low mileage, newer body Cherokee, this would be the best of the best. After about a month of hunting online I found my 2000 XJ (00’ XJ’s are sometimes looked upon in a negative way due to the 0331 head casting that Chrysler Co. used on them, however that’s a totally different discussion J ). I went to look at the 2000 early November 2012, it was exactly what I wanted..clean interior with about every option you could imagine, clean, 4wd (of course), and very low mileage for a Cherokee (91k). I bought it for 2900 bucks and headed home happy as ever. Now, 3 months later and around 2000 dollars later I have a massive pile of parts ready to be installed on the Jeep. I decided since this was going to be something I hold onto for quite some time, so I didn’t cheap out on what I bought for it (Custom built 3 link front suspension, Rubicon Express Coils, Leafs, Slip Yoke Eliminator, all the works, etc, etc etc..).

On to the topic of my views of Jeep. I believe Jeep’s roots are in 4wd’s. Obviously when you hear Jeep (well for most people) you think of Wranglers. While the Wranglers are very capable, and very reliable (as reliable as a Cherokee) they to me do not have the utility aspect of a Cherokee. With a Cherokee you can accomidate 5 people, gear in the back, and have the comfort of a nicer SUV. The wranglers do not have enough room for an extensive amount of gear when you have 4+ people. I believe that Jeeps Pinacle’s include the Jeep Cherokee back when it was introduced in 1984..a great do it all SUV for a good price, and the introduction of the TJ Wrangler (which replaced the YJ)..to me these are Jeeps finest machines. I would go as far as saying the heart of Jeeps reliability being with the 4.0L I6 used in many XJs, YJs, and TJs.

Currently it seems Jeep is beginning to stray from their roots, making IFS (independent front suspension) and even IRS (independent Rear Suspension vehicles). While this is mearly words on paper to some it is a travesty in the mind of true rock crawlers. Independent suspension vehicles are simply inferior to solid axle vehicles in a variety of situations…while independent suspension does have its place in the off-road world, it is not an ideal setup for an offroad crawler, IFS is more suitable for a desert racer. Jeep now seems to want to appeal to the people who want to go to the mall, and throw a bunch of shopping bags in the back, drive home and read a book..they seem to be moving away from those who truly understand the world of “wheeling.” The 2014 Cherokee is a nice vehicle, don’t get me wrong, but..in my opinion (and the opinions of the majority of dedicated XJ owners) not a suitable “rebirth” of the Cherokee name. The original XJ Cheorkee was a solid front and rear axle vehicle, coil sprung front, rear leaf springs…now you have an IFS vehicle, with as many electrical components of a Boeing aircraft, and the offroad ability of a Subaru (little exaggeration here). The 2014 Cherokee will sell, absolutely..but not to those who truly understand the original XJ..it will sell to business men/women who want a comfortable SUV to use to commute with, and maybe the occasional dirt road. Sure, some people will go all out and do a SAS (solid axle swap) but it still is not worthy of being called a Cherokee.

I think all in all it is just a disappointment for those who fell in love with the original Jeep XJ.. we had hopes of a vehicle that was filled with comfort, yet as capable as the original..while deep down we all had the feeling this would not happen..simply due to Jeep wanting to appeal to the masses. I don’t have the ability to sit down and have a conversation with a Jeep engineer, I wish I did..I could go on and on about how I feel Jeep is taking a direction many wish they would not. Perhaps a happy medium would be producing a vehicle more similar to the old Cherokee to appeal to us XJ lovers while still offering another vehicle (such as the Grand Cherokee) to appeal to the masses.

All this being said I still love Jeep…Ill always own a Cherokee (the original of course). Heck, I even bought a Jeep Commander for the fiancé to daily drive…nice vehicle you may ask? Heck yes.. Offroad comparable to the Cherokee? Heck no.. However not all people care about the raw capability of their vehicles..only us TRUE wheelers.

That’s all I have for now.. You have my phone number.. feel free to call and ask specifics.

Truthfully I am really glad I got to elaborate on all this..there is still so much more..but work calls!

Thank you for your time

--Dave Silecchia (Xj88 From cherokeeforum.com)
Old 03-21-2013, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Well said sir!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

My opinion? The new Cherokee was designed and built by someone who was absolutely clueless about what made an XJ great. They focused far too much on design (while failing miserably on a good design) and not enough on utility or what made the old XJs such awesome vehicles.

The market is already flooded with 'SUVs' that are flashy and good for nothing but picking up kids or getting groceries.

Quick Reply: Reporting on 2014 Cherokee